Pets

Why do people pick dogs instead of cats?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2017 11:23 am
Tags:
May 28, 2012
9475 posts
1798 upvotes
Saskatoon
My doctor suggested getting a dog because it forces owners to stay active (have to take them outside for walks even in extreme weather).

If you die alone with your cat, it will eat your face...a dog will die next to you (so I've heard).
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4963 posts
2461 upvotes
Edmonton
Mars2012 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 4:59 pm
My doctor suggested getting a dog because it forces owners to stay active (have to take them outside for walks even in extreme weather).

If you die alone with your cat, it will eat your face...a dog will die next to you (so I've heard).
I think the dog might eat you too... The difference is the cat would do it while you're still alive. That's why they climb on your chest while you're sleeping. Looking for where to start...

C
May 28, 2012
9475 posts
1798 upvotes
Saskatoon
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 5:23 pm
I think the dog might eat you too... The difference is the cat would do it while you're still alive. That's why they climb on your chest while you're sleeping. Looking for where to start...

C
Okay...I'll stick to dust bunnies then.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4963 posts
2461 upvotes
Edmonton
Mars2012 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 5:26 pm
Okay...I'll stick to dust bunnies then.
If you're dead, and your dog chows down on your rump roast, what difference does it make? Having a cat gnaw your nose off after you had a stroke would be a much more traumatic experience, though... :)

C
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
2352 posts
1188 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 4:59 pm

Ever hear that story in the paper about the dog that sat by his owner grave until he himself died?
That's loyalty and attachment you'll never find in a cat period.
Sure cats are great for people that want a simple pet.
But if you want a friend, a potential protector, an animal that won't claw your couch or shit in your flower beds, you can't beat a dog.
Simple as that.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1036 posts
287 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
In two or three months I'll post some pictures here. It will be -10 and blowing snow. There will be a dog owner walking by the house all bundled up, their poor little mutt tip toeing across the snow piles to take a dump. They will do this at least two to four times every day.

And then I'll post a picture of my cat laying on the top of the couch with one eye open, watching the fools outside, and also inside the gas fireplace will be on, and my other cat lying in front of it. Both cats will have a sleepy, smug look on their faces.

"Excercise? If I want exercise I'll chase my tail, tomorrow. Maybe."
Feb 24, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 8:35 am
I can't think of 1 thing that makes dogs better than cats.

Dogs make noise. Cats don't.
Dogs make a mess in the house. Cats don't.
Dogs leave yucky smell. Cats don't.
Dogs wreck stuff. Cats don't.
Dogs get aggressive and bite people. Cats don't.
Dogs take off and you need to chase them down the damn road. Cats can roam the house and outside without incident.
Dogs seem to require overall too much maintenance. Cats seem more independent.
Having a cat doesn't add a whole host of chores like dogs do.

Cats are easy to deal with. They are very discreet about where they litter. It took me a while before I ever noticed what their poop looked like. Dog poop is left by them anywhere and they piss on things everywhere.
What is nicer? Starting the day to the aroma of Febreeze, or the 'smell of dog'? Where I live, I walk out of my room and am greeted by the smell of dog.
Don't like it one little bit!
I have a dog now that is a lot easier to deal with compared to a cat I had before.

He is a cockapoo so he barely sheds compared to cats. For me cats smell worse and make my eyes water.

I have trained my dog to ring a bell to go outside, its a lot better than having a cat shit in your house.

Cats make noise, my old cat wouldn't shut up all night.

My cat once jumped on a fish bowl that I had with a lid on it and knocked it off the stand causing it to break so they are capable of making a huge mess in a house.

Cats bite/scratch more than dogs in my opinion. Have you not seen my cat from hell on tv?

A well trained dog can be walked without a leash.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4963 posts
2461 upvotes
Edmonton
poleman wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 12:50 pm
In two or three months I'll post some pictures here. It will be -10 and blowing snow. There will be a dog owner walking by the house all bundled up, their poor little mutt tip toeing across the snow piles to take a dump. They will do this at least two to four times every day.

And then I'll post a picture of my cat laying on the top of the couch with one eye open, watching the fools outside, and also inside the gas fireplace will be on, and my other cat lying in front of it. Both cats will have a sleepy, smug look on their faces.

"Excercise? If I want exercise I'll chase my tail, tomorrow. Maybe."
We send the dogs out into the backyard to do their business in the winter. And then do yard cleanups on a regular basis. Not a big deal. I'll admit it wasn't a pleasant time when we lived in a condo...

C
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1648 posts
167 upvotes
Canada
superfresh89 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:04 am
I don't own either, but I find cats smell way worse than dogs. It might be just that most dogs pee or poop outside, whereas most cast are litter trained indoors? Cat owners can't tell what 'cat smell' smells like. You gotta be an outsider.
cats are super clean and odorless!! its the litterbox you're smelling.
Mar 11, 2012
247 posts
59 upvotes
Dogs make noise. Cats don't.
- debatable.
Dogs make a mess in the house. Cats don't.
-debatable
Dogs leave yucky smell. Cats don't.
-debateable, litter box, furballs
Dogs wreck stuff. Cats don't.
-debateable
Dogs get aggressive and bite people. Cats don't.
-debateable
Dogs take off and you need to chase them down the damn road. Cats can roam the house and outside without incident.
- my dog comes back when I call her, and walks beside or behind me when i need her too
Dogs seem to require overall too much maintenance. Cats seem more independent.
- True
Having a cat doesn't add a whole host of chores like dogs do.
- True
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
266 upvotes
British Columbia
poleman wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 12:50 pm
The good news is, I don't live where it snows. It was raining earlier today and now it's sunny. I expect a similar trend for the next 5 months starting about now... but if it does snow, it's sort of a bonus because it will cover up all The mud from the rain! The tempurature is also rarely below zero. The other good news is that we have a yard and send out dogs outside.

If you lived where you get 5 feet of snow for months on end and did not have a yard then yes that is no fun.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3243 posts
574 upvotes
London
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 5:23 pm
That's why they climb on your chest while you're sleeping. Looking for where to start...

C
It's also to steal your breath...

great movie
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3243 posts
574 upvotes
London
My dog will only poop in the back yard under extreme duress. Pooping also only occurs after a nice little walk so she can limber up and stretch, when she determines she is ready to go.

Can't wait for winter #blessed

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)