Pets

Why do people pick dogs instead of cats?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2017 11:23 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
3972 posts
491 upvotes
I can't take my cat to the park to play fetch.
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
134 posts
16 upvotes
it is true dogs require a lot more work, interaction and care but this is the reason why lots of ppl prefer dogs over cats. lots of ppl want a pet that they can take on walks, play with and that will require lots of activity . cats are much more independent
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1648 posts
167 upvotes
Canada
anvil01 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 4:32 am
it is true dogs require a lot more work, interaction and care but this is the reason why lots of ppl prefer dogs over cats. lots of ppl want a pet that they can take on walks, play with and that will require lots of activity . cats are much more independent
More households have cats as pets, dogs are too high maintenance, costly and they smell
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2342 posts
151 upvotes
Kherani wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 8:52 pm
I can't take my cat to the park to play fetch.
You can play fetch inside the house.

Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4106 posts
1137 upvotes
Obviously the OP got pwned, raped and pillaged in this thread and will likely never come back. LOL
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1029 posts
53 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Always a cat person and have lots of exp with dogs. The two biggest adv to dog are you can take doggie out with you and doggie is a lot more social. Other than that it is personal preference.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9641 posts
1281 upvotes
Toronto
A cat is like that aloof, too cool teenager that doesn't need their parents around.
A dog is like having a happy toddler/kid (ranges from wilder to well-behaved). I guess some people prefer teenagers and others prefer children.

OP, I'll follow-up with this. Why don't they use cats as guides for the blind or in emergency services/armed services?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1036 posts
266 upvotes
Cat person here, just got my second kitten in the house. My first cat was also a kitten, and she is supper attached. Every time I pick her up, she starts purring and digs her head into my armpit, or under my chin, very affectionate. People always say cats don't care, but I truly don't believe that from my own experience. I love her to death, and she seems to love me just as much. She will sit there and wait for me to get dressed in the morning, and the moment I bend down to pick her up, she is already on her way up to me for a hug. My second kitten is only 2 month old right now, and she bites like crazy my feet all the time, but I am hoping she gets out of that habit when she grows up and gets adult teeth.

My main reasons for a cat over a dog are:

1. Can leave home alone. Wife and I travel for 3-4 weeks at a time for our big trips. My parents drop by every few days to add food and water, and clean out the litter box once a week, but other than that, they are by themselves and require no maintenance. My friends travel with us and have dogs, and have to always find someone to take care of the dog, which usually means handing if off to a friend for the entire duration of the trip. My cat is super needy when we come back, so she obviously misses us when we are away, again, showing that cats do care about owners.

2. No walking required. Live in a cold climate, with -30 sometimes, it's nice not to have to go out first thing in the morning and walk the dog, and instead press the snooze button a few times and get some more sleep, usually with the cat by my side all warm. Friend is a dog lover, but he complains about the cold morning walks.

Those are my two main things really. Life is busy already, don't need any extra work.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1648 posts
167 upvotes
Canada
eblend wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 11:07 am
Cat person here, just got my second kitten in the house. My first cat was also a kitten, and she is supper attached. Every time I pick her up, she starts purring and digs her head into my armpit, or under my chin, very affectionate. People always say cats don't care, but I truly don't believe that from my own experience. I love her to death, and she seems to love me just as much. She will sit there and wait for me to get dressed in the morning, and the moment I bend down to pick her up, she is already on her way up to me for a hug. My second kitten is only 2 month old right now, and she bites like crazy my feet all the time, but I am hoping she gets out of that habit when she grows up and gets adult teeth.

My main reasons for a cat over a dog are:

1. Can leave home alone. Wife and I travel for 3-4 weeks at a time for our big trips. My parents drop by every few days to add food and water, and clean out the litter box once a week, but other than that, they are by themselves and require no maintenance. My friends travel with us and have dogs, and have to always find someone to take care of the dog, which usually means handing if off to a friend for the entire duration of the trip. My cat is super needy when we come back, so she obviously misses us when we are away, again, showing that cats do care about owners.

2. No walking required. Live in a cold climate, with -30 sometimes, it's nice not to have to go out first thing in the morning and walk the dog, and instead press the snooze button a few times and get some more sleep, usually with the cat by my side all warm. Friend is a dog lover, but he complains about the cold morning walks.

Those are my two main things really. Life is busy already, don't need any extra work.
Plus cats are cleaner, smells good and don’t slobber all over the place eating everything insight as dogs do.
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
266 upvotes
British Columbia
eblend wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 11:07 am
Life is busy already, don't need any extra work.
And that's your lifestyle. That's fine. For many people walking and interacting with their dogs are their priority and it isn't really viewed as work. To each their own. It's also a great reason to keep active and enjoy the outdoors.
bluenose2 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 12:01 pm
Plus cats are cleaner, smells good and don’t slobber all over the place eating everything insight as dogs do.
Cats are cleaner?! If they're indoor only sure. If a dog is dirty they don't usually put up as much fuss over getting a bath. I have no opinion on smell but while some larger dogs do have a "dog" smell most dogs are fine.

A great number of dogs do not slobber or drool at all. None of mine have ever done these things. Don't get dogs with huge jowls if this is a concern. Meanwhile my cats, especially as they get older, have a tendency to drool everywhere when they start purring.

While many dogs can be viewed as garbage disposals, especially certain breeds, this is not every dog. Many of my dogs have been extremely fussy eaters, one of my current dogs is fed dinner right beside another and will not touch the other dogs food even if it is the exact same food. 3 of my current cats are food obsessed... One of them doesn't appear to care about life beyond food. The cat has stolen the steak off the table. The dogs have not. Grinning Face

All of these "cats are superior to dog" posters appear to have met maybe 5 dogs and cats their entire life and base their worldview on these few animals. They also only put forward negative attributes for consideration that dogs do while dismissing that cats can be quite similar. Bizzare.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9890 posts
916 upvotes
Karala wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 2:38 pm
All of these "cats are superior to dog" posters appear to have met maybe 5 dogs and cats their entire life and base their worldview on these few animals. They also only put forward negative attributes for consideration that dogs do while dismissing that cats can be quite similar. Bizzare.
The exact same is true the other way around. I guess people just need to justify their choices in life.

Me personally... I'm technically more of a dog person, but my lifestyle and condo are not good options for a dog. Hence the 2 cats.
Nov 7, 2012
670 posts
238 upvotes
TORONTO
Lol...

I have both. Cats can get yucky as the OP vividly described for dogs. Finding or even stepping on some puke/hairball randomly around the house is lots of fun. Sometimes my cat doesn't even bury his poop and luckily his litter box is in the basement but damn his crap stinks. My cat has destroyed the carpet on my stairs and parts of my couch. My cat sheds like crazy and luckily he chooses certain areas and not all over the house, but black sweaters/pants are his preferred resting spots. My cat is an indoor cat, as much as I would like him to discover the outside world he's too old to try that.

My dog on the other hand isn't as stinky. We bath him at least once a month. He's not the type to run around in mud or water. We wipe his face, paws and bum after each walk. He is hypoallergenic so we don't worry about shedding.

Both cats and dogs have their pros/cons. They have different personalities which makes each relationship that more unique. Both can be ******* but both are really loving. In the end it comes down to the owners.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9335 posts
1867 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 8:35 am
I can't think of 1 thing that makes dogs better than cats.

Dogs make noise. Cats don't.
Dogs make a mess in the house. Cats don't.
Dogs leave yucky smell. Cats don't.
Dogs wreck stuff. Cats don't.
Dogs get aggressive and bite people. Cats don't.
Dogs take off and you need to chase them down the damn road. Cats can roam the house and outside without incident.
Dogs seem to require overall too much maintenance. Cats seem more independent.
Having a cat doesn't add a whole host of chores like dogs do.

Cats are easy to deal with. They are very discreet about where they litter. It took me a while before I ever noticed what their poop looked like. Dog poop is left by them anywhere and they piss on things everywhere.
What is nicer? Starting the day to the aroma of Febreeze, or the 'smell of dog'? Where I live, I walk out of my room and am greeted by the smell of dog.
Don't like it one little bit!
i have a cat...dogs are far better but also far more time consuming.

Cats also piss on stuff and it's one of the most disgusting odours around and very difficult to get rid of the smell.

Cats chew and scratch stuff as well
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18599 posts
3704 upvotes
Thornhill
My kittens are almost 6 months old, and training has been going slow but progress is necessary. No peeing, scratching and chewing yet, even as kittens and they are teething right now, Just gotta provide a crap ton of things for them to scratch and chew on instead, so far so good, no bad habits other then tag team headbutting me at 6am every day for 10 minutes, then going back to chill once I am fully awake.

Right now they can poop and pee in the toilet, so I've eliminated litter completely. The second toilet is basically theirs, if only it'll autoflush LOL. The 2 months of hell toilet training them hopefully pays off in the long run. I thought cleaning up out Shiz Tzu's poop and pee on a pad was smelly, cats excretions are on a new level!
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
266 upvotes
British Columbia
coriolis wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 10:45 am
The 2 months of hell toilet training them hopefully pays off in the long run.
From everything I've heard, it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Most toilet trained cats that ever fall in the toilet may get an aversion to using it and then they will decide to go in sinks, bathtubs or just in general around the house. In old age most toilet trained cats also have a lot of trouble and end up going wherever instead of using the toilet. And where one starts the other may follow based on smell.

They also do not understand what to do if they are moved to another house. Unlike with litter, a new toilet does not mean a new place to go. They need to be trained all over again as going in a toilet is completely unnatural. This can lead to scenarios where a cat goes into boarding or staying away from home for a week or two, ends up going everywhere in the new environment, then comes home and does the same thing and cannot be retrained. It also is not as simple as giving them back some litter, they may not take it anymore either. It'll be a disaster of your own making...

I hope you never have to take them out of the home you're in right now because cats peeing around the house is basically the worst thing on earth. Have fun with that... Because while it isn't happening now, I can almost guarantee it will eventually. A toilet trained cat is simply not natural and nature wins out eventually.

Sorry to come off as harsh but toilet training is a terrible thing to do to a cat and the cat suffers in the end because the owner can't keep them any longer.