• Feb 23rd, 2018 1:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3110 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto

Why do people shop at Aden Camera?

I don't understand why people shop at Aden with their archaic final sale policy, especially on camera gear which takes time to decide if you want it or not.

I've seen two ads this week of a brand new full frame Sony and Sony lens being sold because Aden won't accept returns.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1718 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
We've bought three cameras and a few lenses from them over the last 17 years, Price was definitely the cheapest I saw compared to the other stores (Henry's, Downtown Camera. B&H, Future Shop, Vistek, etc.)

I guess if you knew exactly what you want based on research, then you really don't need the return policy. There's always a hidden cost to those liberal store return policies that gets added to every item price. If Aden doesn't need to take a loss on selling open box return items, the can sell regular items cheaper.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1308 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 9:30 am
I don't understand why people shop at Aden with their archaic final sale policy, especially on camera gear which takes time to decide if you want it or not.

I've seen two ads this week of a brand new full frame Sony and Sony lens being sold because Aden won't accept returns.
When I shopped there it's became I needed the items and I had no desire to return them. All had warranties. Prices were much cheaper than other stores. Not everyone want to return the stuff purchased. I've never done it.
I do know a few people who abuse the return policies - use the stuff for weeks or even months and then return them for a refund.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3110 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
demi2004 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 11:58 am
When I shopped there it's became I needed the items and I had no desire to return them. All had warranties. Prices were much cheaper than other stores. Not everyone want to return the stuff purchased. I've never done it.
I do know a few people who abuse the return policies - use the stuff for weeks or even months and then return them for a refund.
I hear you, professional "renters" do hit retailers hard.

Its funny that Aden has no flexibility in their policy, yet Henrys has now removed their sum amount from their return policy.

They used to not take back anything over $1500, now there is no limit.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8631 posts
2699 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Bestbuy won't take back lenses/flash if they have been opened now. They have signs posted in the show cases.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1704 posts
405 upvotes
North York
Henry's needs to take in more cash flow probably to compete with Aden/Downtown Camera.

It depends on the buyer. If you know what you want, go to Aden for the cheaper price.
Not sure? Go to Henry's. You might pay more but you get a return policy.

No big deal. Shop where you are most comfortable.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2648 posts
284 upvotes
Vaughan
I haven't shopped at Aden for a few years. My last purchase from there, was a nikon D600. This was when it was first released. I would say i bought it maybe 3 weeks after most stores had them in stock. Aden had a special in-store price, which couldn't be priced matched by henry's or vistek, because the price was never published online. I used to find their prices better than Henry's and Vistek. Now a days, Aden's prices seem to be the same as any other cdn retailer.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4400 posts
538 upvotes
Always bought from Aden, I don't return camera stuff.

If you want to try a body or lens, go rent one from Vistek.
May 5, 2010
891 posts
256 upvotes
Same as everyone here, I always buy stuff with the idea of not returning it. Specially that I live in QC and ordering from other provinces save me 10% of tax, but it's also a hassle to return.

I bought a D610 and X100T a few years ago at Aden since they have it at the cheapest price and it come will full warranty like any other places.
Jan 17, 2018
12 posts
5 upvotes
I get almost everything off Kijiji, its 100% what I need but I am just getting into video/audio/photo production, so any 1080p or 4k high end for $300 instead $2000 is better choice for me
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3110 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
AmexPlus99 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 3:48 pm
I get almost everything off Kijiji, its 100% what I need but I am just getting into video/audio/photo production, so any 1080p or 4k high end for $300 instead $2000 is better choice for me
LoL, where are you finding gear that's being sold for $2K in store but $300 on Kijiji?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1274 posts
156 upvotes
Here
I've shopped there for over 25 years.

I know what I want and I don't return it.
Nov 30, 2015
179 posts
71 upvotes
GTA, ON
With the easier returns at some other vendors I wonder how much of those returns end up back on the shelf as new as opposed to open box. Wouldn't it be great if car dealerships have that kind of return policy too like try it and if you change your mind just return it without penalty.

At least with Aden and their tougher return policy I am thinking that there may be less chance of you getting a returned item sold as new. Also less returns could translate to lower cost or better deals for the rest of us. I have shopped at Aden and quite happy with them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3110 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
lazybummer wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 9:25 am
With the easier returns at some other vendors I wonder how much of those returns end up back on the shelf as new as opposed to open box. Wouldn't it be great if car dealerships have that kind of return policy too like try it and if you change your mind just return it without penalty.

At least with Aden and their tougher return policy I am thinking that there may be less chance of you getting a returned item sold as new. Also less returns could translate to lower cost or better deals for the rest of us. I have shopped at Aden and quite happy with them.
I think comparing a camera purchase to a car purchase is a bit ridiculous.

The only reason a dealership can't get away from selling a 'returned' car is due to kilometers recorded. Then again, shutter counts are recorded to but I don't think folks are going in with their laptops to check the shutter count for their new camera. Then again, dealerships offer plenty of test drives to figure out if the car is for you and there is a PDI in place to check over your car before delivery to you.

Returned items are meant to be discounted before being sold. I think Henry's follows this policy, not sure, but Best Buy does.

Even a returned lens is sold for $200-300 offer and there folks that search for these deals. A lot more peace of mind buying a barely used lens with a reciept and warranty for a couple hundred off then getting one from Kijiji.

For the folks shopping at Aden, they have to really know what they want, so either they are going off of reviews or have 'test driven' the bodies elsewhere. If this is through a rental program, well, are you really saving money at Aden if you already paid to rent the item for a few days just prior to the purchase?

It seems the consensus is that people shop at Aden mostly due to the prices, which is fair, as long as you know what you want.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3276 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a camera and a lens at Aden (on Yonge St) because their unadvertised deals were just so much better than any of the competition, and I knew what I wanted. I had such a good experience that I recommended them to my dad, who also bought a camera there too.

I feel like they get a bad rap from people, but my experiences have only been good.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE