Why do people shop at Aden Camera?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2018 10:24 am
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
9041 posts
3181 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yup I've only had good experiences at Aden as well. The complainers are most likely those that either abuse return policies or can't make up their mind and want to try first.

Know what you want and it's a non issue.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4761 posts
225 upvotes
I never bought anything from them but one time I called in inquiring about a Rokinon lens, they told me they don't stock it because they cannot compete because the Canadian supplier overcharges. They told me to order from B&H instead.

If you want a generous return policy on bodies you can always price match it at bestbuy if they carry it.
Feb 19, 2008
254 posts
23 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 11:26 am
It seems the consensus is that people shop at Aden mostly due to the prices, which is fair, as long as you know what you want.
+1. Another benefit of buying from a store without return policy is you will never get a 'like new' item from them.
Aug 1, 2010
824 posts
396 upvotes
Montreal
I understand the harsh return policy beacuse of those professional renters. Stores barely have any mark-up over most cameras. Selling it open box due to a return can result in money loss.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Deal Fanatic
Jan 29, 2007
7678 posts
1044 upvotes
Montreal
akira1971 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 10:07 am
We've bought three cameras and a few lenses from them over the last 17 years, Price was definitely the cheapest I saw compared to the other stores (Henry's, Downtown Camera. B&H, Future Shop, Vistek, etc.)

I guess if you knew exactly what you want based on research, then you really don't need the return policy. There's always a hidden cost to those liberal store return policies that gets added to every item price. If Aden doesn't need to take a loss on selling open box return items, the can sell regular items cheaper.

+1

Fully agree with the statement about doing your research and knowing what you want...

Never had any issues with Aden Camera but sometimes it would be great if it was Free Shipping though I save on 1 Tax...
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1751 posts
428 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 1:50 pm
I never bought anything from them but one time I called in inquiring about a Rokinon lens, they told me they don't stock it because they cannot compete because the Canadian supplier overcharges. They told me to order from B&H instead.

If you want a generous return policy on bodies you can always price match it at bestbuy if they carry it.
I think even Best Buy has caught on to return policy abusers. Last I checked opened cameras were 14 day return window and opened full-frame cameras were not accepted.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4761 posts
225 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 7:59 am
I think even Best Buy has caught on to return policy abusers. Last I checked opened cameras were 14 day return window and opened full-frame cameras were not accepted.
Oh you're right. I guess maybe because they don't stock FF and it's a special order and they're stuck with it after. Good to know
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/help/retur ... px#cameras
Mar 19, 2015
126 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
I shop at Aden only when the price is much cheaper than other stores.

I do not buy gears with a intention to return them, but having 14/30 days return policy always give a peace of mind.
Sometimes it just takes times to be able to tell if it's the right gear for me or not, whether it's due to ergonomics, performance, or built quality.
If the price is the same or similar, I'd always buy from other stores.

From my personal experiences, all the sales reps were VERY kind, but the Asian manager guy has a serious attitude problem. I'd walk out of the store if he was the sales rep.
One time, I wasn't clear about their ongoing promotion, then he could not conceal his annoyance and told me "hey look. I'm not trying to rip you off here. okay?"
Another time, I bought a camera and found out one of the buttons on my camera was not working, so I took it back to the store next day. He said "show me the camera", then started ignoring every words from me.
I got pissed at his attitude and asked if he is even listening to me. He told me "I don't need to hear your explanation. I can check myself."

That was my very last visit to Aden.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4463 posts
555 upvotes
I don't shoot the shit with people at Aden. You do that at Henrys.

I go in.

I tell them what I want. I pay.

I leave.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11562 posts
2255 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 3:50 pm
LoL, where are you finding gear that's being sold for $2K in store but $300 on Kijiji?
I buy a lot of used gear, and I will say this: If someone is buying something that's $2000 in store, for $300 off Kijiji, then there is an extremely high risk that it is hot, ie. stolen.
Aug 1, 2010
824 posts
396 upvotes
Montreal
rebel_rfd wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 3:15 pm
Went by Aden today to look at prices for Sony Glass.

The manager is really opinionated lol.

They can't do any better pricing on Sony, no discounts, sold at MSRP.
The mark-up on bodies and lenses are nothing nowadays, cutting price would mean selling at loss which is stupid.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3368 posts
763 upvotes
Toronto
aerok wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 10:51 am
The mark-up on bodies and lenses are nothing nowadays, cutting price would mean selling at loss which is stupid.
I'm not sure about Canon/Nikon or others, but Henrys/Camera Store employees get 20% off on Sony.
And once a year they get a 40% rebate directly back from Sony.
Aug 1, 2010
824 posts
396 upvotes
Montreal
rebel_rfd wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 11:01 am
I'm not sure about Canon/Nikon or others, but Henrys/Camera Store employees get 20% off on Sony.
And once a year they get a 40% rebate directly back from Sony.
Yup Sony has the best rebate program from people working in authorized dealers but Sony pays for the 40%. Henrys/Cameras store 20% can be at loss for retailer or just above cost.
Jul 12, 2010
402 posts
60 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 3:15 pm
Went by Aden today to look at prices for Sony Glass.

The manager is really opinionated lol.

They can't do any better pricing on Sony, no discounts, sold at MSRP.
Sigh I was hoping to jump the gun and dive into the sony eco system with the A7III ... hmm any other ways to save ? I have to find friend that works for a camera store?