• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2019 8:12 pm
[OP]
May 10, 2017
68 posts
31 upvotes

Why do people want high paying jobs?

I see a lot of threads asking what jobs pay over $100,000, $200,000, etc
Sure, you may be able to buy a few more things here and there, but is it truly worth it?
The amount of stress involved for many jobs that pay $100,000 and beyond just doesn’t seem worth it
Also, we spend around 50% of our lives working.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m venting a bit.
Life seemed a lot easier when I had less liability, even if I was making a lot less.
Sometimes, I just want to give up everything and just drive for Ubereats or work at a coffee shop where stress is almost insignificant (I was a coffee shop barista once).
Last edited by DirtPoor on Sep 6th, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poor
88 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30688 posts
2567 upvotes
Winnipeg
life does not get easier with no money, it also gets more stressful, take your pick.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10395 posts
4567 upvotes
Brampton
Who says a 100k-200k job is more stressful?
Jan 4, 2013
425 posts
144 upvotes
Meh I will stick to my 60k job that when I go home I am not stressed at all. Wife and I make plenty of money for the lifestyle we enjoy.
Jul 21, 2019
115 posts
152 upvotes
I don't think most people want a lot of money, I think most just want enough so that they are not stressed about money and can live their life well. In a city like Toronto or Vancouver that most likely is in the 100-200k range at least to be able to buy things and not be stressed, but in a lot of smaller places I think in the 40k-60k range is enough to live comfortably and not be stressed about money.
Apr 18, 2017
257 posts
173 upvotes
Do you not see the cost of living in cities like Toronto and Vancouver? It’s not that we want to make 100k, that salary is the norm in order to live comfortably in those cities.
[OP]
May 10, 2017
68 posts
31 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 8:40 am
Who says a 100k-200k job is more stressful?
More mentally stressful at least I think than physically stressful for jobs that are +100k and beyond
Poor
[OP]
May 10, 2017
68 posts
31 upvotes
divx wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 8:26 am
life does not get easier with no money, it also gets more stressful, take your pick.
I think that’s where the magic number $75k uncle and happiness comes in.

May have less responsibilities and liabilities under $75,000 (and hopefully less stress)

But income good enough to live a decent life even in the cities
Poor
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10395 posts
4567 upvotes
Brampton
DirtPoor wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 9:33 am
More mentally stressful at least I think than physically stressful for jobs that are +100k and beyond
Says who?

Many people make way more than 200k and love what they do.

Not every high paying job meaning being a doctor or a lawyer.

There's people who are in media that make 100k that love what they do. I have a couple bud in construction that are over 100k and love what they do. It's not mentally stressing for them. It could be physically demanding for them but they love it bets being in an office 9-5.
[OP]
May 10, 2017
68 posts
31 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 9:36 am
Says who?

Many people make way more than 200k and love what they do.

Not every high paying job meaning being a doctor or a lawyer.

There's people who are in media that make 100k that love what they do. I have a couple bud in construction that are over 100k and love what they do. It's not mentally stressing for them. It could be physically demanding for them but they love it bets being in an office 9-5.
Why would someone pay a person $100,000, $200,000, etc if the job was not either or both mentally / physically taxing?

Wouldn’t it be more rare than norm a person truly enjoying their job without much stress at a high paying job?
Poor
Feb 28, 2012
185 posts
58 upvotes
Vaughan
Because everyone is different. Some people like to grind to make as much money as possible. Others take a different view and would rather enjoy life and don't care as much about money. That's the beauty of living where we live, you make the choice. I think some people make a choice that isn't congruent with who they really want to be and that leads to unhappiness.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10395 posts
4567 upvotes
Brampton
DirtPoor wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 9:43 am
Why would someone pay a person $100,000, $200,000, etc if the job was not either or both mentally / physically taxing?

Wouldn’t it be more rare than norm a person truly enjoying their job without much stress at a high paying job?
Because you pay for expertise and skill.

What may not be mentally or physically taxing for them could be impossible for you.

Do you know how to or can build a perfectly square wall? My bud can
Can you complete an engine swap with your eyes closed? Another one of my buds can
Can you code an entire inventory management in a day? Another bud can.
They are artists in their own fields

To them it's therapeutic what they do. Their minds and skills are unique.
One of them is their own boss.

Now you're just starting to sound jealous of people who make more and are just trying to justify your own position.
My advice just be happy where you are and don't worry about those other people.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5301 posts
1195 upvotes
Mississauga
DirtPoor wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 8:24 am
I see a lot of threads asking what jobs pay over $100,000, $200,000, etc
Sure, you may be able to buy a few more things here and there, but is it truly worth it?
The amount of stress involved for many jobs that pay $100,000 and beyond just doesn’t seem worth it
Also, we spend around 50% of our lives working.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m venting a bit.
Life seemed a lot easier when I had less liability, even if I was making a lot less.
Sometimes, I just want to give up everything and just drive for Ubereats or work at a coffee shop where stress is almost insignificant (I was a coffee shop barista once).
driving for ubereats isn't stressful? you have all these terrible drivers on the road.... traffic jams...etc
Dec 7, 2006
457 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
DirtPoor wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 9:43 am

"norm a person truly enjoying their job without much stress at a high paying job?" - that is a huge assumption. There are many factors including spending habits, geography, age, family, etc. It also depends on how individuals deal with stress and/or what they even consider stressful. Here's another (general) angle (based on personal experience): Anyone making $200K+ can write their own story and have much more control over their career. Job security is generally not a concern because their skillset is in high demand. So even if there is some stress day-to-day, there is not the same level of stress as someone making $50K with "I need to keep my job" stress. IMO, there's nothing more stressful than not having control.

To answer your question, you should do whatever makes you most happy and fulfilled, as long as it enables you to support your lifestyle, your family, your hobbies, and whatever other financial responsbilities you may have.
[OP]
May 10, 2017
68 posts
31 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 9:47 am
Because you pay for expertise and skill.

What may not be mentally or physically taxing for them could be impossible for you.

Do you know how to or can build a perfectly square wall? My bud can
Can you complete an engine swap with your eyes closed? Another one of my buds can
Can you code an entire inventory management in a day? Another bud can.
They are artists in their own fields

To them it's therapeutic what they do. Their minds and skills are unique.
One of them is their own boss.

Now you're just starting to sound jealous of people who make more and are just trying to justify your own position.
My advice just be happy where you are and don't worry about those other people.
How do you know how they truly feel or amount of stress they go through?
They just might not be telling you or might be lying about how happy they feel.
Just like pics on Instagram and Facebook
Ppl may look happy with their life, but reality may be different

It doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy my work, but there are many times I’m immensely stressed and whatever money made isn’t worth that stress
Poor