• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2019 6:44 am
[OP]
May 10, 2017
69 posts
31 upvotes
Ducky wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 10:21 am
driving for ubereats isn't stressful? you have all these terrible drivers on the road.... traffic jams...etc
Different kind of stress.
A person wouldn’t die or lose a lot of money from that.
Liability, responsibility, burden much less
Poor
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5340 posts
1219 upvotes
Mississauga
DirtPoor wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 10:52 am
Different kind of stress.
A person wouldn’t die or lose a lot of money from that.
Liability, responsibility, burden much less
who are you kidding... each day i leave Brampton cuz of work, i thank god i made it out alive...lol
Oct 24, 2009
333 posts
70 upvotes
I want to make more money so I can say I make more money!
Though seriously, a lot of us are not being honest about why we want high paying jobs. We all have a fear of not living up to our potential and sadly the 'potential' gets measured in monetary terms.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10339 posts
2616 upvotes
Markham
OP, Do you have kids? Do you have a mortgage or rent to pay? Do you have hobbies that cost money? or you just have a very rich parents to take care of everything that has a dollar sign.

Most people goes to work for money, if we have to spend 8 hours a day at work (possibly adding 1hr to 1.5hr in commute for some), you better off make your time worth it. If you have a choice or opportunity to make $500 in one day of work, why would you just stay to a job and happy to make $150 per day.

It is either the person is very lazy, or no ambition to keep working on a low paying job and not looking to get promoted or get a better pay elsewhere.

Of course there is people there raised in a very wealthy family, they never have to worry about expenses. They probably can still live very well without working. House is paid for, car is paid for, etc...... Some of those just go to work so that they are doing "something", and not working for the money.

Most of people have to pay and earn wages to pay bills and a lot of people want to have a better living, such as better neighborhood, bigger house, newer cars, traveling to new places, buying new toys...Or they just need money to pay their kid's education, tuition and other family expenses. Of course, you cannot go too extreme to work 2 full time jobs a day and killed yourself at the end because of lack of rest.

There is exception is people are closer to retirement, they tend to take it easy because they know they have enough $ saved and kids are grown up that they have much less financial pressure. They can chose to work less hours, change job that gives them less stress and more free time, etc.....each stage of life also have different goals in life.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1294 posts
791 upvotes
Edmonton
If you're poor, you get nickled and dimed to death. There's a whole bunch of literature written about it. Retail, customer service, restaurant, warehouse, factory, and call centre gigs are jobs where you have to be pumping effort basically 100% the time, where your productivity is measured in seconds. Retail gigs love to required "open availability" meaning on your days off you're basically watching your phone waiting to be put on the sales floor "just in case". And you have to check in with your boss to go to the bathroom? To go on break? Screw that. Your bosses and coworkers are also stressed - by the work, by their family obligations, by never have enough money, health problems they don't have enough time to deal with. Everyone's a tinderbox waiting to go off. And all that for like 30-50k? Yeah, no. I wouldn't work in that environment for 200k.

If you're working 80 hour weeks with due yesterday timelines all year for that 100k then yeah you're probably getting screwed. I think it's totally possible to get a medium stress job working 40 hours a week for 100k+. Yes, it will require some combination of intelligence, hard work, luck, connections, social skills, and networking, but it's totally possible. Spend some time exploring careers further and see if you can strike a proper balance.
Nov 1, 2001
494 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
russbarden wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 8:58 am
Meh I will stick to my 60k job that when I go home I am not stressed at all. Wife and I make plenty of money for the lifestyle we enjoy.
Not every doctor finds their job stressful
Dec 28, 2017
131 posts
39 upvotes
There are many 40 to 75 k jobs that are stressful in their own way.
I find job very easy and relaxing but another person who have less workload than me but same job responsibility found it hard.

It's all about knowledge and willingness to get it done .. I hated my 45k job a few years ago.. but I love my job that pays more than double
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5620 posts
5587 upvotes
Vancouver
More money does make you happer, but has the greatest effect to lift you out of poverty. Beyond that, the income-to-happiness curve slows considerably and starts to flatline.

This is also interesting. People seem to be least happy during the times that they've been earning the most income.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
5013 posts
822 upvotes
Markham
I just want to be eligible for RFD
Jan 4, 2019
149 posts
139 upvotes
DirtPoor wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 10:49 am
How do you know how they truly feel or amount of stress they go through?
They just might not be telling you or might be lying about how happy they feel.
Just like pics on Instagram and Facebook
Ppl may look happy with their life, but reality may be different

It doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy my work, but there are many times I’m immensely stressed and whatever money made isn’t worth that stress
You do realize the script could be flipped to say the same about all of your assumptions?

Also. Perhaps you should go talk to someone. I'm sensing some underlying issues you might want to get out there.
Last edited by ReadAllTheDeals on Sep 6th, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1732 posts
1298 upvotes
Bay Area
DirtPoor wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 9:43 am
Why would someone pay a person $100,000, $200,000, etc if the job was not either or both mentally / physically taxing?

Wouldn’t it be more rare than norm a person truly enjoying their job without much stress at a high paying job?
One word: unions.
Two words: government jobs.

Or god forbid, unionized government jobs. 🤢
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3010 posts
112 upvotes
East York
"Why do people want high paying jobs?"

For me?

Financial freedom to do more of the things I enjoy but can't afford to right now.
Take care of my family/friends within reason.
Retire as early as possible
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11369 posts
6190 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Be a male gigolo and make over $100,000 easily!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!