• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2019 6:44 am
Jun 14, 2018
128 posts
169 upvotes
arkane wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 3:01 pm
Here's the part he didn't want to tell you:

Doesn't seem so glamorous now me thinks.
Oh, I know. That last post was in response to me.
[OP]
May 10, 2017
69 posts
31 upvotes
MarinersFanatik wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 2:28 pm
When they have to talk up their job this much, you just know the job is actually sh*t that no one wants to do.
Could be construction - trade job in middle of nowhere
Poor
Jun 14, 2018
128 posts
169 upvotes
DirtPoor wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 3:05 pm
Could be construction - trade job in middle of nowhere
It's exactly what it is.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3253 posts
898 upvotes
Edmonton
MarinersFanatik wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 2:28 pm
When they have to talk up their job this much, you just know the job is actually sh*t that no one wants to do.
Oh your right. It's terrible. Ball and shackles over here. But hey, it's great to post here when I'm at work. Reading replies and making each post is like making $10-20 in my pocket
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1724 posts
1279 upvotes
Bay Area
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 3:31 pm
Oh your right. It's terrible. Ball and shackles over here. But hey, it's great to post here when I'm at work. Reading replies and making each post is like making $10-20 in my pocket
Are you at work on a Saturday?! And how's that 6.5 hour commute one way working out for you?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3253 posts
898 upvotes
Edmonton
arkane wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 3:34 pm
Are you at work on a Saturday?! And how's that 6.5 hour commute one way working out for you?
Yes sir I work on a Saturday. It's just another day. Work tomorrow too. And the next buncha days .....

And doe this gig I fly. So that 6.5 hour commute is roughly 55 minutes(add 20 for being at the airport). I don't pay for the flights but I do get additional hourly wage for the time I fly, similar to when I got paid for my commute.

Back when i drove they gave me $1000 for just the commute, ez money
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1724 posts
1279 upvotes
Bay Area
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 4:04 pm
Yes sir I work on a Saturday. It's just another day. Work tomorrow too. And the next buncha days .....

And doe this gig I fly. So that 6.5 hour commute is roughly 55 minutes(add 20 for being at the airport). I don't pay for the flights but I do get additional hourly wage for the time I fly, similar to when I got paid for my commute.

Back when i drove they gave me $1000 for just the commute, ez money
If you work 7 days for 6 months and take the other 6 off, that's about the same as working 5 days a week for the whole year.

Even if you fly, that's still 2.5 hours of your time wasted that could be spent on doing something else. And man if I had to waste 13 hours (!!!) of my life on the road everyday, no amount of pay would be worth it for that level of hit to my quality of life. But you do you.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3253 posts
898 upvotes
Edmonton
arkane wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 4:56 pm
If you work 7 days for 6 months and take the other 6 off, that's about the same as working 5 days a week for the whole year.

Even if you fly, that's still 2.5 hours of your time wasted that could be spent on doing something else. And man if I had to waste 13 hours (!!!) of my life on the road everyday, no amount of pay would be worth it for that level of hit to my quality of life. But you do you.
Where do you get this information from? Who said I work 7days a week? Everyone wants some time off. I make sure my schedule is better than working 5 days a week else I wouldn't do it.

Also who said about travelling 13 hours a day commute, sure it's 13 hours but driving everyday that much is just dumb if I still have to work after.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5650 posts
744 upvotes
Scarborough
There’s nothing out there thats easy. Either it consumes you physically or mentally or both.
But yes it would be awesome to sit and do nothing, but most of us have no choice

You’d have to be born in 3rd world to rich corrupt politicians or bureaucrats to enjoy the life doing nothing yet having lots to spend
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1724 posts
1279 upvotes
Bay Area
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 5:22 pm
Where do you get this information from? Who said I work 7days a week? Everyone wants some time off. I make sure my schedule is better than working 5 days a week else I wouldn't do it.

Also who said about travelling 13 hours a day commute, sure it's 13 hours but driving everyday that much is just dumb if I still have to work after.
I work with what you've given me lol. Glad you're not driving 13 hours everyday but that's still an absolute shit of a commute.
Jun 9, 2013
305 posts
206 upvotes
Surrey
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Sep 6th, 2019 7:26 pm
Be a male gigolo and make over $100,000 easily!
what makes you think male gigolo is easy? maybe op is obese and bald, with bad breath and body odor. you think he can make 100k as gigolo?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3253 posts
898 upvotes
Edmonton
arkane wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 6:17 pm
I work with what you've given me lol. Glad you're not driving 13 hours everyday but that's still an absolute shit of a commute.
Haha fair enough. If I added up all the days I work, it's roughly 90-110 days a year. Anyqhere from 12-15 hours a day Commute every week or two one way, depends on the shutdown schedule
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1724 posts
1279 upvotes
Bay Area
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 6:52 pm
Haha fair enough. If I added up all the days I work, it's roughly 90-110 days a year. Anyqhere from 12-15 hours a day Commute every week or two one way, depends on the shutdown schedule
Well, if we use those numbers, then you're working 90 x 12 = 1080 hours on the low end and 110 x 15 =1650 hours on the high end.

Let's split the difference and call it 1365 work hours for the whole year, which translates to170.6 "standard work days" of 8 hours. That means you're effectively working about 8 months out of the year.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3253 posts
898 upvotes
Edmonton
arkane wrote:
Sep 14th, 2019 7:52 pm
Well, if we use those numbers, then you're working 90 x 12 = 1080 hours on the low end and 110 x 15 =1650 hours on the high end.

Let's split the difference and call it 1365 work hours for the whole year, which translates to170.6 "standard work days" of 8 hours. That means you're effectively working about 8 months out of the year.
At least now we are getting closer to the track. Because I do many days back to back, don't do the standard 5 days/40 hours a week, OT is very nice and I do have a nice chunk of time off. 100 hours a week is normal during the shutdown time, as long as I am on shift that whole week (and not on days off)

In the end, is it worth it? All depends on how you look at it. I would say yes and that's why I keep doing what I'm doing
Aug 16, 2008
885 posts
201 upvotes
Markham
The easiest, most relaxing, and most flexible job I ever had paid 150k, working from home for a software company.

Conversely, the hardest job I had paid only 70k, my first job out if uni.

People forget that very few job scopes stay static, I've been reorged or transferred to another role with no notice multiple times.

Mind you, things are changing so fast today with automation and streamlining of businesses (cost reduction) that your 50/100/200k job might not exist tomorrow.

It's no secret the the bar for skills and ambition is significantly higher for this generation. Many of my friends are either unemployed or underemployed for given their paper credentials.

Go make your money today, because you might not have the chance tomorrow. And if you're asking, that 150k super chill job no longer exists. Just like your ubereats job will no longer exist once autonomous technology matures.