Off Topic Archive

Locked: Why do people want my ipod serial number before bidding on it?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2007 9:26 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
1040 posts
124 upvotes
Kanata

Why do people want my ipod serial number before bidding on it?

I'm selling my brother-in-law's busted 80GB video on ebay, and people keep asking me for the serial number. I wouldn't object to giving it out, except that it's hidden behind a padded cover that I don't want to peel off. It doesn't boot up, so I can't get at it that way.
At any rate, my real question is: why do they want it? What's to be gained by knowing it?
Share:
17 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
Maybe theres a site where the ser. # can be verified that it isnt a clone/knockoff? Maybe other details can be gathered from the ser # such as specs, version, etc?
I know this exists for guitars.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1389 posts
1 upvote
I agree with #2 post. In addtion,

I think they want its warranty info...
bonne chance
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
1040 posts
124 upvotes
Kanata
Maybe for warranty. Maybe they think I'm dumb enough to sell a broken ipod that could be repaired under warranty? Who knows...
Only reason I'm selling it is because I saw another broken 80gb video that's currently bidding at $187 - can you believe that? I mean, I got a BNIB 160GB for $300 - who pays nearly $200 for a busted ipod that might need a new hard drive?
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2003
4466 posts
4 upvotes
Talula wrote:
Dec 13th, 2007 3:17 pm
Maybe for warranty. Maybe they think I'm dumb enough to sell a broken ipod that could be repaired under warranty? Who knows...
Only reason I'm selling it is because I saw another broken 80gb video that's currently bidding at $187 - can you believe that? I mean, I got a BNIB 160GB for $300 - who pays nearly $200 for a busted ipod that might need a new hard drive?
Nigerians
Why are hurricanes named after women? When they come they are wet and wild but when they leave they take your house AND your car.
Banned
Feb 10, 2007
936 posts
For cloning purposes, dont give it out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
79 upvotes
Georgetown
I just bought a few thru RFD and once the transaction was confirmed, I was provided with the serial number to check it's validity ( I called apple to get it but there's a link on their site).

My reasons for asking for it were to:
  • confirm it was not counterfeit
  • confirm it had warranty on it
  • build a relationship with the seller
That being said, it never occurred to me that a potential buyer would 'clone' it (why this would be the sellers problem in an ebay auction is beyond me)
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3111 posts
242 upvotes
Confused busted 80 Gig IPod for 300 dollars? isn't 160GB Ipod touch 299 like 2 weeks ago at fS
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2006
1973 posts
6 upvotes
Vernon
3weddings wrote:
Dec 13th, 2007 5:01 pm
I just bought a few thru RFD and once the transaction was confirmed, I was provided with the serial number to check it's validity ( I called apple to get it but there's a link on their site).

My reasons for asking for it were to:
  • confirm it was not counterfeit
  • confirm it had warranty on it
  • build a relationship with the seller
That being said, it never occurred to me that a potential buyer would 'clone' it (why this would be the sellers problem in an ebay auction is beyond me)
+1

Those are the main reasons people ask for serial numbers.

When you buy something that's worth 300+ dollars, you wanna be darn sure that it is everything the seller has said it is...

I once bought an ipod off ebay, 30GB video, and the seller said it had minor wear, when we got it, that wasn't the case..

It appeared as though someone had dragged it along the back of a vehicle it was so scratched up! Also, the harddrive was defective and you couldn't load more than 6 songs on in... (wtf?!)

Luckily, however, it was still under the "You can purchase Apple warranty Until ___" period, and even though I did have to purchase Applecare, I got a brand new ipod... so in the end, it was worth it :)

But yeah, always CONFIRM that it has warranty and that it is valid by getting the serial number.

Edit: The warranty info, etc, can be found at: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
/post
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
3weddings wrote:
Dec 13th, 2007 5:01 pm
[*]build a relationship with the seller.........
lol...what relationship...IT'S AN IPOD!!!! not a business venture.
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20372 posts
1594 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Dec 13th, 2007 9:50 pm
Money is money, amount is irrelevant.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13293 posts
231 upvotes
Midland
bubble.tea wrote:
Dec 13th, 2007 9:50 pm
Yes, it's just an mp3 player. Reminds me of the commercial for an oil change where the business guy asks the customer's name on the phone and then goes on about "Remember the time with the thing..." as if he was buddy buddy with the customer when he didn't even know him.
If it's a broken IPod, it's probably selling for next to nothing anyways.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7400 posts
686 upvotes
I'm thinking you got scammed, if you were able to purchase applecare, then that implies it's still under the manufacturer's warranty, and should be covered without applecare.

You wouldn't be able to buy applecare unless you were still under your first year warranty.
Lava wrote:
Dec 13th, 2007 7:38 pm
+1

Those are the main reasons people ask for serial numbers.

When you buy something that's worth 300+ dollars, you wanna be darn sure that it is everything the seller has said it is...

I once bought an ipod off ebay, 30GB video, and the seller said it had minor wear, when we got it, that wasn't the case..

It appeared as though someone had dragged it along the back of a vehicle it was so scratched up! Also, the harddrive was defective and you couldn't load more than 6 songs on in... (wtf?!)

Luckily, however, it was still under the "You can purchase Apple warranty Until ___" period, and even though I did have to purchase Applecare, I got a brand new ipod... so in the end, it was worth it :)

But yeah, always CONFIRM that it has warranty and that it is valid by getting the serial number.

Edit: The warranty info, etc, can be found at: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
Banned
Mar 27, 2007
1658 posts
Markham, Toronto
ronny1980 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2007 3:19 pm
Nigerians
they only buy working ones :)
Banned
Dec 15, 2005
2286 posts
Kasakato wrote: