Fashion & Beauty

why do ppl wear wool instead of down jackets?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2018 4:34 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 15, 2009
686 posts
160 upvotes
pupazzo wrote:
Nov 5th, 2012 10:54 am
Lol down jackets are associated with brokeass high school students who save up for a jacket they think is expensive. You would get laughed out of any professional environment. Made in Italy or go home.
Depending on a professional environment you work in the attire does play a role in how fast/far you will advance. If you dress sharply you are more likely to be noticed by management and don't anybody kid yourself thinking that your hard work and skills will get you noticed/promoted. That's becoming more and more rare. It's all about how you present yourself. Yes you can wear a big puffy coat with a t-shirt underneath. Or you can wear a suit+tie and a wool coat.
Jimboski wrote:
Nov 5th, 2012 3:54 pm
Never knew It mattered what other people think?
See comment above regarding some corporate environments. In some cases it very much matters what others think because that is the only thing that will help you grow in a work place. Again, not the case everywhere but certainly some places.
Apr 13, 2012
350 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
thoughts on this:

http://www.sportinglife.ca/sportinglife ... ool-Jacket

and hugo boss coats in general? is the 60% wool too low for the price?

i think i'm more of a fan of this style of coat than a double-breasted one...i'm not much of a suit-and-tie person as i work in a restaurant, but i'm looking for something classy and stylish for going out to restaurants myself or to special events without having to wear a down jacket...
Mar 28, 2011
571 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
on a serious note, the best of both worlds is to get the CG Livigno or the CG Como Parka

you get your wool and your down

fits in and out of the office environment

we were going to get it as a couple but cant fathom $3k for two jackets when the mortgage is more important
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4728 posts
750 upvotes
rapsfan50 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2012 4:21 pm
thoughts on this:

i think i'm more of a fan of this style of coat than a double-breasted one...i'm not much of a suit-and-tie person as i work in a restaurant, but i'm looking for something classy and stylish for going out to restaurants myself or to special events without having to wear a down jacket...
Pretty much a rip-off. You find these in Boss outlet store in the US for around $150...
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2910 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
rapsfan50 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2012 4:21 pm
thoughts on this:

At that price you are pretty much paying for the name. You can do a lot better for that price
Sep 7, 2009
570 posts
183 upvotes
If you're talking about long wool coats, I think a lot has to do with the fact they are considered more suitable formal wear. Imagine wearing a suit with a down jacket. Usually a down jacket is considered more casual or something worn by a more youthful crowd. Once the temp drops down to a certain level however (-10'C for me), I say forget the looks and just wear whatever keeps you warm.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20998 posts
10412 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I was trying on some gooses yesterday at Sail and can't really imagine me wearing pretty much any goose offering with business attire. Having a puffy- ***** coat and a big beast of fur behind your neck doesn't really go with business attire.

Although, I might get one and wear it on casual Fridays. I picked up a pretty sweet insulated leather jacket at danier that will be my Monday- Thursday winter coat.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
Funny you mention it not going with business attire. Yesterday I saw a stout guy wearing a brown Canada Goose Ontario in zero degree weather with what could have been a suit on underneath.

CG with business outfit. Strike one!

Brown CG with black business outfit. Strike two!

CG Ontario, one of their more serious parkas, in zero degree warm weather when I still saw a few [crazy] people in short sleeves. Strike three! Yer outta there!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20998 posts
10412 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote:
Nov 7th, 2012 4:25 pm
Funny you mention it not going with business attire. Yesterday I saw a stout guy wearing a brown Canada Goose Ontario in zero degree weather with what could have been a suit on underneath.

CG with business outfit. Strike one!

Brown CG with black business outfit. Strike two!

CG Ontario, one of their more serious parkas, in zero degree warm weather when I still saw a few [crazy] people in short sleeves. Strike three! Yer outta there!
The thought of the sight of that =

[IMG]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... y-text.png[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5833 posts
236 upvotes
I go into my heated car, into a heated garage at work.
I'm outside for 30s sweeping the snow off the car.
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
Salute to Commander Bond looking sharp as ever in a coat that was originally made for military wear.

Here's the thing. These premium down-filled jackets were also inspired by cold-weather military wear (or so the stories say), specifically the snorkel bomber and snorkel parka for pilots flying in extreme conditions.

Both categories of coats had utilitarian military backgrounds so our brave men (and women, if they served back when they were first created for the military) wouldn't die from Mother Nature when working. Both in their original purest form were probably not meant to be "fashionable" and can be considered hardy, durable, reliable, made to handle the rigors of active duty in the field. While both have trickled into wear by commoners for fashion purposes, somehow wool coats have a "dressier" reputation than down coats.

Forgetting about down coats for a minute, which are certainly too inappropriate when dressing nicely, the wool peacoat is apparently too casual to wear when dressing up. Definitely inappropriate when wearing with a suit. Offhand, I forget the type of wool coat that can be worn appropriately over a suit... it's a longer coat. Overcoat perhaps? Not necessarily the one Daniel Craig is wearing above...
Oct 28, 2012
441 posts
158 upvotes
Calgary
lol at this thread.

Wool is a cheaper then authentic goose down though, there's synthetic stuff but its no where near as good. Goose down also requires much more care then wool as well, as down can be damaged if not treated properly. Those are facts, I'm not sure how anyone can argue with them. Can a wool jacket cost more then a down jacket? Yeah, most of the price of jackets are the brand so it makes more sense to go with the cost of raw material then compare any of that. Most of the coats you'll find in walmart would be synthetic down to reduce cost.