Fashion & Beauty

why do ppl wear wool instead of down jackets?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2018 4:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
3035 posts
1293 upvotes
Vancouver
sponge5307 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2018 8:48 pm
Vancouver BC weather is better to get a down/sports jacket because it rains a lot here. Having waterproof outlayer is really important especially when you take transit. Wool might looks good but doesn't do well or keep you warm when it is wet.
I have a wool topcoat made of Loro Piana storm system wool
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7509 posts
1186 upvotes
Wool/Cashmere coats are cheaper than down parkas?

Thats news to me. Better tell Burberry to remove a zero from their $2000-$6000 coats then. lol

https://ca.burberry.com/mens-coats/

Down coats are the cheaper alternative, followed by the lower end cotton/polyester/synthetic fill stuff.

Usually, the wool coats are more formal looking, not always, but tend to cater to an older more affluent crowd. Down parkas are for younger people, or casual wear around town, or those crazy polar expeditions (which 0.1% of the parka buyers actually do)

I have an assortment of all those types of coats, from cheap to expensive, and they're all good to wear at particular times and/or places. Nothing wrong with $100 coats, nor with $5000 ones, but you can guess which one I'd be shoveling snow in. lol
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11505 posts
1509 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
kingofwale wrote:
Nov 4th, 2012 9:37 am
because down jacket is expensive??

It's the same reason why not everyone has down comforter.
FALSE. Higher end wool parkas are equal to if not more expensive than down. Woolrich sells outer wear up to $3K... average around $1000-$1200.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
May 17, 2017
281 posts
178 upvotes
Waterloo
Can someone school me on top/trench/overcoats?
Looking to get something for the late fall and early spring that's more formal than a parka/down jacket.
Wool or any nicer cloths (i.e. Herringbone) are a big plus.

Any suggestions on things to look at or color?
No set price range at the moment, willing to consider used, but "buy it for life" quality is key.
Have looked at vintage Burberry trench (but are these warm enough?), new Brooks Brothers Walking Coat (i.e. slightly longer peacoat), new Frank + Oak Topcoat.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7509 posts
1186 upvotes
AstulzerRSX wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 6:53 pm
Can someone school me on top/trench/overcoats?
Looking to get something for the late fall and early spring that's more formal than a parka/down jacket.
Wool or any nicer cloths (i.e. Herringbone) are a big plus.

Any suggestions on things to look at or color?
No set price range at the moment, willing to consider used, but "buy it for life" quality is key.
Have looked at vintage Burberry trench (but are these warm enough?), new Brooks Brothers Walking Coat (i.e. slightly longer peacoat), new Frank + Oak Topcoat.
i wear my burberry pea coat with a scarf, tshirt and a sweater, and its warm enough for -10. A longer coat to cover your legs would work even better and probably be okay to something lower like -15, but the problem in Toronto is high winds.

if its anything much lower than -10, i switch to a longer parka usually.

for fall, a trench coat would be fine if it comes with an under-layer for extra warmth. I actually lucked out and found a Sanyo trench 2-3 years ago and i snatched it for $750 from The Bay, in store. They made a mistake and gave me a 25% discount on a luxury line item. The cut and manufacturing was licensed from Burberry by Sanyo, so I got the same trench, with a different designer brand, for 1/3rd of the price of a burberry. It was lucky, but not the norm. That said, you should definitely look at other designers that have a good quality and make the same stuff.

Aquascotum is another brand that does the original trench coats. https://www.aquascutum.com/
Sanyo https://sanyonewyork.com/ (their online site sucks, but you can check Nordstrom / The Bay, etc)

of note:

a regular trench coat is fairly thin and serves as a water shield, so keep that in mind if this is what you buy, its not something to wear past October or so.

a wool/cashmere trench is still thin, but a step up in warmth. The problem is its horrible in rain for obvious reasons. If you buy a cashmere trench coat, you can only wear this in dry or snowy conditions (so November onward I'd guess). It is not, however, thick enough to wear to something like -20. Your neck is also exposed, so a turtle neck and/or scarf will be a must. Also no hood...so...windy cold days will render this a bit of a painful experience if walking outside.

I'd only wear a wool trench if i do the house-car-work-car-house thing, and dont walk outside too much for lunch (assuming a horribly cold and windy day). If its rainy, forget wearing it.

For colors, the beige is the classic (for a normal anti-rain trench). Navy is also nice, since you can still see the buttons (usually brown buttons, but not always) a bit. Black im not a fan of. Black trench with black buttons, black scarf...might as well wear a garbage bag, cant see if you're wearing a $5000 trench or a $50 Goodwill jacket, especially with days going darker earlier. This comes down to personal preference though.
May 17, 2017
281 posts
178 upvotes
Waterloo
Buggy166 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 12:55 pm
a regular trench coat is fairly thin and serves as a water shield, so keep that in mind if this is what you buy, its not something to wear past October or so.

a wool/cashmere trench is still thin, but a step up in warmth. The problem is its horrible in rain for obvious reasons. If you buy a cashmere trench coat, you can only wear this in dry or snowy conditions (so November onward I'd guess). It is not, however, thick enough to wear to something like -20. Your neck is also exposed, so a turtle neck and/or scarf will be a must. Also no hood...so...windy cold days will render this a bit of a painful experience if walking outside.

I'd only wear a wool trench if i do the house-car-work-car-house thing, and dont walk outside too much for lunch (assuming a horribly cold and windy day). If its rainy, forget wearing it.

For colors, the beige is the classic (for a normal anti-rain trench). Navy is also nice, since you can still see the buttons (usually brown buttons, but not always) a bit. Black im not a fan of. Black trench with black buttons, black scarf...might as well wear a garbage bag, cant see if you're wearing a $5000 trench or a $50 Goodwill jacket, especially with days going darker earlier. This comes down to personal preference though.
I'm agreed with you on Black not being a great color.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like a pea/top coat would be quite a bit warmer than a trench?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7509 posts
1186 upvotes
AstulzerRSX wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 4:11 pm
I'm agreed with you on Black not being a great color.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like a pea/top coat would be quite a bit warmer than a trench?
yea, they're thicker.

peacoat > wool/cashmere trench > regular rain trench (with underlining for extra warmth > regular anti rain trench (no lining or cheaper price, think $200 vs $2000)

only problem with peacoats is that they're not very long, so when it super cold and windy, a longer parka will outdo it in terms of protection and warmth.

usually though, when its -20 to -40 outside and i have to walk around (or wait for the bus, etc), i dont give a crap about looks, i just wanna be comfy, so i grab whatever serves me better for that purpose. (unless im attending an evening event or something)