Automotive

Why do RFDers love Hyundai/Kia so much?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2012 6:07 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
feidailo wrote: i bought a hyundai genesis coupe in hopes of landing me some hangook LGs. its super effective!
A genesis to pick up girls? :facepalm:
Let's hug it out
Oct 4, 2008
277 posts
27 upvotes
London
well

on the road you see more honda's and toyota's , so they were once "good value" and sitll remain good value.. but they are just like hyundai and kia.. a good value..

though hyundai and kia offer a great warranty..

so many civics on the road and escapes etc etc.. i guess they are just garbage right?
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
275 upvotes
Here
proteinJunkie wrote: Right.. because ford / gm , toyota and honda aren't garbage..?
Ford and GM are garbage too. There is a reason why they have such a low re-sale value.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
feidailo wrote: is there a problem?
No, if you mean to physically pick them up and give them a ride to and from different places.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4290 posts
2082 upvotes
BC
RCGA wrote: A genesis to pick up girls? :facepalm:
these days.... with our economy, a genesis might just do it ~~~~
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
iownyou wrote: these days.... with our economy, a genesis might just do it ~~~~
Maybe if you're in high school...

The only girls that are going to be impressed with a Genesis are girls who's parents own a Caravan and a late model Civic.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Valid points from everyone and I too think the reason a lot of people are buying them is because they offer a good value for the money. I own a brand new Civic and I don't think the interior is that bad. I tested the Elantra/Forte and while the interior is much better than earlier generations (thanks to a German designer), the car itself just feels like cheap Chinese crap. It really does. Not just the interior but even the powertrain. For the same price I paid for the Civic I could have gotten heated leather seats with the Elantra. That's nice and all but how much would I lose in residual value with the car being a Hyundai? Not only that but the heating element for the rear seats sits just above the gas tank. Now I've always been nervous about heated seats but when the whole thing sits above the gas tank, you kinda wonder how much margin for error there is should something happens to short there circuit as it most likely will.

And don't even get me started about those Genesis owners, particularly the ones who own the coupe and mod the crap out of it. They're weaving in and out traffic, full throttle acceleration, etc. Like who the hell are you guys kidding exactly? You're driving a p.o.s. Hyundai not an M5.
Lior Hershkovitz
Broker at Mortgage Edge, specializes in construction financing and private lending
Construction rates start p+2.5%, 2nd mortgage start 5.99%, private financing start 7% max. 95% LTV
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
liorsyncro wrote: Valid points from everyone and I too think the reason a lot of people are buying them is because they offer a good value for the money. I own a brand new Civic and I don't think the interior is that bad. I tested the Elantra/Forte and while the interior is much better than earlier generations (thanks to a German designer), the car itself just feels like cheap Chinese crap. It really does. Not just the interior but even the powertrain. For the same price I paid for the Civic I could have gotten heated leather seats with the Elantra. That's nice and all but how much would I lose in residual value with the car being a Hyundai? Not only that but the heating element for the rear seats sits just above the gas tank. Now I've always been nervous about heated seats but when the whole thing sits above the gas tank, you kinda wonder how much margin for error there is should something happens to short there circuit as it most likely will.

And don't even get me started about those Genesis owners, particularly the ones who own the coupe and mod the crap out of it. They're weaving in and out traffic, full throttle acceleration, etc. Like who the hell are you guys kidding exactly? You're driving a p.o.s. Hyundai not an M5.
good points..

To add to this I'll go as far as to say the majority of Hyundai owners are more-less 'payment' buyers vs 'car' buyers.
Afterall, Hyundai pretty well single handidly created the ultra-long-term-zero-down-perpetually-upsidedown-segment where every other manufacturer is now mimicking.
Wait a couple more years when all the threads we will be seeing are:
"Just wrote off my Hyundai and Insurance is giving me 5k less than what I owe"
"Traded in my Hyundai and dealer had to move 6k neg equity into new auto loan"
"Can't buy a new car because I don't have the required down payment of 6k to cover the neg equity"
"I'm stuck in this Hyundai until it matures in 8 years"
"I can't sell my car privately because I owe more than what its worth and have no money to get out of it"
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
mikeymike1 wrote: good points..

To add to this I'll go as far as to say the majority of Hyundai owners are more-less 'payment' buyers vs 'car' buyers.
Afterall, Hyundai pretty well single handidly created the ultra-long-term-zero-down-perpetually-upsidedown-segment where every other manufacturer is now mimicking.
Wait a couple more years when all the threads we will be seeing are:
"Just wrote off my Hyundai and Insurance is giving me 5k less than what I owe"
"Traded in my Hyundai and dealer had to move 6k neg equity into new auto loan"
"Can't buy a new car because I don't have the required down payment of 6k to cover the neg equity"
"I'm stuck in this Hyundai until it matures in 8 years"
"I can't sell my car privately because I owe more than what its worth and have no money to get out of it"
People think with their wallet too much sometimes and ultimately you get what you pay for. Sure the Elantra may offer more amenities for the buck, but what I'm looking at is once the warranty expires, what is the long-term reliability of the vehicle? How does the car handle? How smooth is the engine and transmission? What would be the residual value once I decide to sell it? Hyundai/Kia fail on all these points. I almost choked on my Coke when I read that CR said the new Civic had a choppy ride. Huh?! It rides on 4 wheel independent suspension including a new 5-point multi-link double wishbone in the rear. It's one of the most sophisticated designs in this class. In contrast, the Elantra rides on a solid axle design from a 1970s Beetle. And the Civic has a choppy ride?

I don't know if you've seen the new Kia ads on TV. It starts with "when you have a line up like this you don't need special offers to move the cars off the lot". And surely enough a week after the ad first appeared, they made a revision to it for 0% financing for 84 months and they'll make your first 3 payments. LOL!!
Lior Hershkovitz
Broker at Mortgage Edge, specializes in construction financing and private lending
Construction rates start p+2.5%, 2nd mortgage start 5.99%, private financing start 7% max. 95% LTV
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
liorsyncro wrote: People think with their wallet too much sometimes and ultimately you get what you pay for. Sure the Elantra may offer more amenities for the buck, but what I'm looking at is once the warranty expires, what is the long-term reliability of the vehicle? How does the car handle? How smooth is the engine and transmission? What would be the residual value once I decide to sell it? Hyundai/Kia fail on all these points.
c'mon now.. you actually think Hyundai buyers actually think of these things? If they did they wouldn't be signing on for 7year and 8year amortizations. They just want a car that gets them to WalMart and back
liorsyncro wrote: I almost choked on my Coke when I read that CR said the new Civic had a choppy ride. Huh?! It rides on 4 wheel independent suspension including a new 5-point multi-link double wishbone in the rear. It's one of the most sophisticated designs in this class. In contrast, the Elantra rides on a solid axle design from a 1970s Beetle. And the Civic has a choppy ride?
I have no faith whatsoever in Consumers Reports. People we're dieing in rollovers in their Ford Exploaders and Consumers Reports not once gave the vehicle a not-recommended.
liorsyncro wrote: I don't know if you've seen the new Kia ads on TV. It starts with "when you have a line up like this you don't need special offers to move the cars off the lot". And surely enough a week after the ad first appeared, they made a revision to it for 0% financing for 84 months and they'll make your first 3 payments. LOL!!
Ohhh gotta read the fine print there on that 3 payments. They only pay the principle and considering its simple interest formula the first ie: $200 payment of that term would be approx $55.00 x3.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Mar 27, 2010
487 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
poedua wrote: And applies to GM and Ford as well...their relatively heavier depreciation may not always be warranted nowadays.
Agree 100%. 10-15 years ago it was a different story, but not so much in today's marketplace.
I'm stunned at some of the totally senseless comments in this thread, but opinions are just that, opinions.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2086 posts
773 upvotes
Toronto
Because people think "affordable" means 0% financing over WAY too many months (72? 84? Are you serious?).
Jul 14, 2003
445 posts
212 upvotes
Dundas
I used to be quite brand loyal (Mazda), but now whatever car fits my needs gets my money.

I test drove a bunch of compact cars and while the Forte is not without flaws, the others had issues as well (although you can't really go wrong in the compact segment nowadays, they are all still quite good...Corolla aside haha :D ).

I didn't like the new Civic because while it didn't do anything poorly (felt okay to drive, seats felt okay in support, adequate power, etc. etc.), it also didn't really excel in any areas. Kind of reminds me of how all-season tires are "jack of all trades, ace of none" kind of way. It didn't draw me in. The Mazda 3 felt great to drive and had good seats but the road noise was high, had touchy brakes and non linear acceleration/pedal feel. I didn't like the dual clutch transmission, smaller interior and price of the Focus. With the Cruze I hated how light the steering felt and how you have to get almost the highest trim level for heated seats. The same goes for the EPS in the Elantra which felt really disconnected with the road and I also didn't like how on the mid trims you still get wheelcovers. I'm also not a fan of that blue interior lighting, despite the nice interior.

The Forte won out because the seats fit me perfectly, steering has a nice weight and feel to it, linear braking and acceleration, came with the features I wanted and wasn't overtly expensive. It does have a cheap interior (why all black?), and while it can stick to the road/handle quite well, some improvements could be made to the suspension to better cope with bumps. Those issues aside, I like my Forte as it was the one that suited me the best.
Banned
Feb 20, 2007
3042 posts
1316 upvotes
Personally for me it was a safety issue, I love having the extras like leather etc with the Hyundai/Kia for the price of not getting leather, but after driving the cars and looking at the quality, I was afraid of what was underneath and since we have a kid I went for the car that seemed to be better made and didn't flex on turns and what not. I can't imagine what's underneath the cheap plastic, if they cut corners some of the trims imagine what they did with the structure.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1549 posts
70 upvotes
liorsyncro wrote: And don't even get me started about those Genesis owners, particularly the ones who own the coupe and mod the crap out of it. They're weaving in and out traffic, full throttle acceleration, etc. Like who the hell are you guys kidding exactly? You're driving a p.o.s. Hyundai not an M5.
right. and having an M5 gives you the right to drive recklessly in traffic.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19235 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
mack wrote: right. and having an M5 gives you the right to drive recklessly in traffic.
+1
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Mar 26, 2009
625 posts
97 upvotes
Hamilton
Somebody at work has a brand new Kia and it's been a total lemon.
Sep 8, 2010
809 posts
31 upvotes
Guelph
Because they're cheap and 99% of RFD is from Korea / Hong Kong.