Automotive

Why do so many bad drivers have luxury cars? A new study blames ‘disagreeable’ men

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2020 6:34 pm
[OP]
Nov 22, 2010
232 posts
62 upvotes

Why do so many bad drivers have luxury cars? A new study blames ‘disagreeable’ men

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/0 ... _web_ymbii

MAY WARREN JANUARY 30, 2020
You’ve probably yelled it once or twice at a driver of a German luxury car blasting through a red light somewhere in the city.

As it turns out, there might be something to the expletive.

A new study out of Finland has found that argumentative and egotistical men are particularly likely to drive cars like Mercedes, Audis or BMWs, and those same personality traits can also explain why these people can be such aggressive and unethical drivers.

In layman’s terms: It’s a study into why high-status cars attract so many “a--holes.” (That’s not our word, it’s from the title of the study, published this week in the International Journal of Psychology.)

The paper asked 1,892 Finnish car owners about their cars, wealth and consumption habits, as well as their personality traits using a framework to assesses a person’s conscientiousness, neuroticism, extroversion, agreeableness and openness to experience.

The result was clear: Men who drove high-end German cars had “less empathy, they are more disagreeable, and they are more willing to fight,” said lead author Jan-Erik Lonnqvist, who spoke to the Star from Helsinki while on his commute home from work — by bus.

That result wasn’t a huge surprise, Lonnqvist said. During his everyday life in the Finnish capital, he said he had often noticed that drivers who broke traffic rules tended to be behind the wheel of high-status cars.

He attributes that in part to “exceptionalism.” The drivers “might also feel that the traffic rules do not apply to them,” he said.

Other studies had already established that high-end car owners are more likely to commit traffic violations, Lonnqvist said. But there’s been a debate on whether this was perhaps because of the “corrupting effect” of money on a person’s morality.

The new study suggests its not the wealth itself that corrupts, but rather that already disagreeable men are particularly drawn to high-status products.

But not all BMW drivers are jerks, the study found. People who scored high for conscientiousness were also more likely to own luxury cars.

This is somewhat surprising for Lonnqvist, a professor of social psychology at the University of Helsinki’s Swedish School of Social Science. But it may be because these cars, in addition to being “flashy and expensive,” are also seen as high quality.

Conscientious people see themselves as reliable and dutiful, So they might want to “purchase a car that will last and is high-performing,” he said.

Interestingly, the Finnish study did not find that “disagreeable” women were drawn to high-status cars.

“This kind of car is not such a status symbol for women,” Lonnqvist said, hypothesizing that they maybe women have “other stuff that they can show off with.”

He cautions that the results may be culturally specific, as Finland is a particularly egalitarian society, in which men who drive flashy cars can really stick out.

In Toronto, men driving high-end cars have regularly appeared listed in recent police reports of serious collisions in the city, but not noticeably more often than male drivers of lower-end brands.

Toronto police do not have any publicly available statistics on aggressive driving and luxury cars; Traffic Services spokesperson Jason Kraft said he was not aware of any similar study on the subject.

Unfortunately, Lonnqvist said not everyone has appreciated his findings.

Since the study was published, he said he has received a “staggering” number of hateful messages from the owners of high-end cars.

“Disagreeable men who are calling me up and telling me that they are not disagreeable, that they’re actually nice people and my study sucks,” Lonnqvist said.

“That has been somewhat surprising,” he said. “But it goes to confirm the findings.”
Last edited by new936 on Jan 31st, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30 replies
Banned
Jan 15, 2020
62 posts
21 upvotes
I was about to post the same article, upvote, so funny.

"But not all BMW drivers are jerks....."Since the study was published, he said he has received a “staggering” number of hateful messages from the owners of high-end cars."

lol, BMW should sue the star.
Last edited by Jeepwrangler on Jan 31st, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1247 posts
860 upvotes
GTA West
I think we have all experienced the drivers, both male and female who think that driving a luxury sled gives them rights and privileges other drivers don't have. I think expensive cars empower certain women to be nasty drivers, while the men who act that way are probably a**holes to begin with. Like my Audi-driving neighbour lol.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18185 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
News flash: People who are disagreeable and unwilling to be sheep stuck in low-paying jobs make enough money to afford cars like this. People who are also the exact opposite, who are conscientious and too respectable to be stuck in a low-paying low-respect job can also afford cars like this. Women who make that level of money spend it on things other than cars because they're not as interested in cars as men are.

Hear more about this at 11, followed by our story about how resentful butthurt sheep who buy every sob story their employers tell them don't make the money needed for these things and are calling for the Trump/Ford/Johnson/Bolsonaro/whoever administration to enact tariffs on all industries the high end car owners work in.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2919 posts
1085 upvotes
I'd agree that there is a trend with those cars.

Definitely a trend.

Are all owners a***oles? No, maybe not. But enough are, so we observe a trend...
Nov 7, 2016
675 posts
262 upvotes
Ontario
They needed to do a study to figure that out?!
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10689 posts
3018 upvotes
Toronto
Bad drivers driving Luxury cars.......since when a Corolla became a Luxury car? :rolleyes:
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13389 posts
13781 upvotes
Oakville
It's not just luxury cars, it's any "prestige" car, as previous studies have shown. They showed that Prius drivers were just as discourteous as luxury car drivers. I'm pretty sure pickup trucks and tow trucks fall under that banner around the GTA given what I've seen, which would make sense since pickups basically cost as much or more than many luxury cars.
Now that Teslas are the new Prius, I bet they also fall under the prestige douchyness.
Last edited by engineered on Jan 31st, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6742 posts
5583 upvotes
North York
why is this a surprise?
aholes tend to be less agreeable.
less agreeable people tend to be more successful
more successful people tend to buy more expensive cars
aholes drive expensive car are not necessarily bad drivers, but more aggressive, way more aggressive.

on the other hands, just look at the videos of bad drivers from the dashcam video thread, or on youtube, bad drivers, men or women, drive all sorts of cars.

He is a professor, that is a testament of him being disagreeable. If he had agreed with whatever everyone said, he wouldn't have gone on to become a PhD
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8884 posts
1542 upvotes
Toronto
Gotta Flex for the peasants.
Jan 18, 2012
140 posts
65 upvotes
I don’t agree with the article and I don’t Drive luxury. From my subjective point of view the biggest aholes are the VW drivers .... also why do posters equate luxury cars with success. We live in the land of credit so please don’t equate luxury car driving males to be successful. Ie ) the desi fellow who live in a house of 15 people driving a beemer....
Jun 14, 2016
292 posts
110 upvotes
Calgary
Since the luxury vehicles of Alberta are trucks, I will agree. 'Bertastrong
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7415 posts
366 upvotes
Toronto
Note to self (well actually to you LOL)

1. Driving a German car actually does not compensate for having a small d--k.

2. If you drive them like a moron, that actually screams out you suffer from microphallus...
Last edited by ppl4golf on Jan 31st, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3719 posts
3083 upvotes
Oakville, ON
There’s is a bit of a correlation to a somewhat related study I saw from several years back (searches but couldn’t find it).

In it, researchers staked out busy parking lots at malls and such and observed what happened with waiting times. They tracked when a vehicle pulled up in the aisle to wait for somebody who just got to their vehicle in order to leave the spot.

The study found that people with more prestigious vehicles too their sweet time to leave even though they knew somebody was waiting for their spot in a busy lot. People with mainstream vehicles left more quickly when someone was waiting.

On the flip side, when the vehicle waiting in the aisle was a prestigious vehicle they would more frequently abandon waiting and look for another spot, while a mainstream vehicle was more likely to wait it out for the parked vehicle to leave.

Some interesting parallels....
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
4839 posts
1364 upvotes
GTEH!
new936 wrote: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/0 ... _web_ymbii

MAY WARREN JANUARY 30, 2020
You’ve probably yelled it once or twice at a driver of a German luxury car blasting through a red light somewhere in the city.

As it turns out, there might be something to the expletive.

A new study out of Finland has found that argumentative and egotistical men are particularly likely to drive cars like Mercedes, Audis or BMWs, and those same personality traits can also explain why these people can be such aggressive and unethical drivers.

In layman’s terms: It’s a study into why high-status cars attract so many “a--holes.” (That’s not our word, it’s from the title of the study, published this week in the International Journal of Psychology.)

The paper asked 1,892 Finnish car owners about their cars, wealth and consumption habits, as well as their personality traits using a framework to assesses a person’s conscientiousness, neuroticism, extroversion, agreeableness and openness to experience.

The result was clear: Men who drove high-end German cars had “less empathy, they are more disagreeable, and they are more willing to fight,” said lead author Jan-Erik Lonnqvist, who spoke to the Star from Helsinki while on his commute home from work — by bus.

That result wasn’t a huge surprise, Lonnqvist said. During his everyday life in the Finnish capital, he said he had often noticed that drivers who broke traffic rules tended to be behind the wheel of high-status cars.

He attributes that in part to “exceptionalism.” The drivers “might also feel that the traffic rules do not apply to them,” he said.

Other studies had already established that high-end car owners are more likely to commit traffic violations, Lonnqvist said. But there’s been a debate on whether this was perhaps because of the “corrupting effect” of money on a person’s morality.

The new study suggests its not the wealth itself that corrupts, but rather that already disagreeable men are particularly drawn to high-status products.

But not all BMW drivers are jerks, the study found. People who scored high for conscientiousness were also more likely to own luxury cars.

This is somewhat surprising for Lonnqvist, a professor of social psychology at the University of Helsinki’s Swedish School of Social Science. But it may be because these cars, in addition to being “flashy and expensive,” are also seen as high quality.

Conscientious people see themselves as reliable and dutiful, So they might want to “purchase a car that will last and is high-performing,” he said.

Interestingly, the Finnish study did not find that “disagreeable” women were drawn to high-status cars.

“This kind of car is not such a status symbol for women,” Lonnqvist said, hypothesizing that they maybe women have “other stuff that they can show off with.”

He cautions that the results may be culturally specific, as Finland is a particularly egalitarian society, in which men who drive flashy cars can really stick out.

In Toronto, men driving high-end cars have regularly appeared listed in recent police reports of serious collisions in the city, but not noticeably more often than male drivers of lower-end brands.

Toronto police do not have any publicly available statistics on aggressive driving and luxury cars; Traffic Services spokesperson Jason Kraft said he was not aware of any similar study on the subject.

Unfortunately, Lonnqvist said not everyone has appreciated his findings.

Since the study was published, he said he has received a “staggering” number of hateful messages from the owners of high-end cars.

“Disagreeable men who are calling me up and telling me that they are not disagreeable, that they’re actually nice people and my study sucks,” Lonnqvist said.

“That has been somewhat surprising,” he said. “But it goes to confirm the findings.”
Amen. Not that this explained anything new to me.
"Luxury" car/SUV & pick-up trucks drivers all drive like A--holes. Seen too many of them everyday. Angry Face
😎