Off Topic

Locked: Why do some banks treat certain customers so badly? RBC discrimination?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 3:40 pm
[OP]
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes

Why do some banks treat certain customers so badly? RBC discrimination?

Does it depend on the way one dresses? I was at the liberty village RBC location and saw an Indian guy who didn't look all that sketchy I guess he came to this branch after the gym. Literally treated like a homeless guy or a terrorist. I guess he wanted to transfer some money from his one account to another, his own money.

But they made it like, it was a scene.

Pretty much all the employees were like, is there a problem? is everything okay here and came to that teller, crowding that area. He clearly says, here is my Canadian passport, driving license. The mobile app does not work for me, I just want the money from this account to the other. I don't understand why this is hard to do?

Someone grabbed his passport and was looking for a magnifier. Took it to the backroom, came back and said do you mind if we add this on your file. He says, is that required? Do you ask everyone to put their passport on their file? They say no its just more convenient for you. He says, I'd rather not thank you. Then they went on about why not? He almost broke down and it was miserable to watch. He said it is a real passport!

I was sitting on the couch and couldn't believe what I was watching. The most viscous thing was, everyone acted like they are so upper class, all good looking gals in their 20s, done up with a smile, short skirt, full make up, low cut, think Titanic rich people, with a fake smile but you can see they just...lolol
Then my friend was done with her work and we left. Not sure what happened to that guy.
I legit felt bad for him. I should also add that the whole thing took like half an hour because my friend was in there for half an hour. They went back and forth, sometimes him standing there by himself.

For the record, I am conservative (more like right wing if you wanna call that), don't care for immigration really unless its legally done and adding value to the country. So just putting it out there in case anyone wonders if Im making this post to push left agenda. I am not. I hate Trudeau.
Last edited by wonderkitty on Nov 8th, 2017 11:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
Share:
76 replies
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2946 posts
186 upvotes
wonderkitty wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:58 am
Does it depend on the way one dresses? I was at the liberty village RBC location and saw an Indian guy who didn't look all that sketchy I guess he came to this branch after the gym. Literally treated like a homeless guy or a terrorist. I guess he wanted to transfer some money from his one account to another, his own money.

Pretty much all the employees were like, is there a problem? is everything okay here and came to that teller, crowding that area. He clearly says, here is my Canadian passport, driving license. The mobile app does not work for me, I just want the money from this account to the other. I don't understand why this is hard to do?

Someone grabbed his passport and was looking for a magnifier. Took it to the backroom, came back and said do you mind if we add this on your file. He says, is that required? Do you ask everyone to put their passport on their file? They say no its just more convenient for you. He says, I'd rather not thank you. Then they went on about why not? He almost broke down and it was miserable to watch. He said it is a real passport!

I was sitting on the couch and couldn't believe what I was watching. The most viscous thing was, everyone acted like they are so upper class, all good looking gals in their 20s, done up with a smile, think Titanic rich people, with a fake smile but you can see they just...lolol
Then my friend was done with her work and we left. Not sure what happened to that guy.
at least in TD they do. One Id like DL or passport.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4859 posts
732 upvotes
wonderkitty wrote:

I bank with TD, so I'm not partial to RBC, but this does not look like bad treatment.

I have both a "regular job" with direct deposits to my chequing account, and a side job where I sometimes get irregular large cheques. They go into a separate business account. I have also gotten gift cheques. When requesting to deposit, or transfer the money between accounts (or into external brokerage accounts), they check ID, and will sometimes photocopy it (usually my driver's license as I do not carry my passport around for casual errands). It is part of the tellers' due diligence to help prevent fraud. I have done this more than once with my bank for separate unusual or large transactions. No, it does not depend on how one dresses. It seems to be standard protocol for the frontline staff; part of the procedure when dealing with large/unusual amounts of money being moved around.

I'm not sure why you think this guy was treated particularly badly. I have also been told that RBC staff are often good-looking downtown. What does this have to do with how this guy was treated?
Last edited by peanutz on Nov 8th, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2330 posts
1233 upvotes
wonderkitty wrote:

I was sitting on the couch and couldn't believe what I was watching. The most viscous thing was, everyone acted like they are so upper class, all good looking gals in their 20s, done up with a smile, short skirt, full make up, low cut, think Titanic rich people, with a fake smile but you can see they just...lolol
I legit felt bad for him.

For the record, I am conservative (more like right wing if you wanna call that), don't care for immigration really unless its legally done and adding value to the country. So just putting it out there in case anyone wonders if Im making this post to push left agenda. I am not. I hate Trudeau.
Some people just make themselves look suspicious by making a big deal when asked for ID. If he didn't have his debit card and PIN, it's pretty standard procedure to ask for two pieces of ID and record them on the system.... I don't see how that's poor treatment of a customer.

Sounds like an irate customer that didn't want to show ID.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:14 pm
Some people just make themselves look suspicious by making a big deal when asked for ID. If he didn't have his debit card and PIN, it's pretty standard procedure to ask for two pieces of ID and record them on the system.... I don't see how that's poor treatment of a customer.

Sounds like an irate customer that didn't want to show ID.
No he had the debit card PIN etc, and I should also add that the whole thing took like half an hour because my friend was in there for half an hour. They went back and forth, sometimes him standing there by himself. I am just wondering why this has to take so long. He also called the phone banking support while hes there and was telling them I am at this branch like you asked me to, can you please talk to them. But the bank staff wouldn't talk to them.

Wait, he did show ID. Canadian passport and his Ontario driving license. 2 photo ID.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:08 pm
I bank with TD, so I'm not partial to RBC, but this does not look like bad treatment.

I'm not sure why you think this guy was treated particularly badly. I have also been told that RBC staff are often good-looking downtown. What does this have to do with how this guy was treated?
My point is, I have worked at a popular gym as a receptionist in the past. Gotta look very good, I know most people do not know that but we put a lot of effort to look sexy for handing towels. YET, we are instructed to never upset a member even if they are uninformed let alone discriminate anyone for any reasons including their body type. Many people get intimidated, but at a bank I would assume you should not treat someone poorly because of the way they appear. I am trying to paint a picture so you can visualise, but you know what I mean,
Last edited by wonderkitty on Nov 8th, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 19, 2013
951 posts
269 upvotes
Winnipeg
Maybe they genuinely believed (incorrectly) something was wrong with the guy. They erred on the side of caution.

Regarding discrimination, yes our subconscious minds do things that can be termed as discrimination. It has been scientifically proven with experiments that our ethnicity, dressing, appearance, beauty and all sorts of unrelated things have an effect on how we are treated. in fact, when humans were cavemen, these were the things that helped them survive, separate a friend from a foe. To not discriminate is something that we have taught ourselves consciously. So I am in partial agreement with you.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2330 posts
1233 upvotes
wonderkitty wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:16 pm
No he had the debit card PIN etc, and I should also add that the whole thing took like half an hour because my friend was in there for half an hour. They went back and forth, sometimes him standing there by himself. I am just wondering why this has to take so long. He also called the phone banking support while hes there and was telling them I am at this branch like you asked me to, can you please talk to them. But the bank staff wouldn't talk to them.

Wait, he did show ID. Canadian passport and his Ontario driving license. 2 photo ID.
Who knows. Maybe this customer had a previous track record at the branch, or his accounts are frozen/under investigation for actual or suspected fraudulent activity. Maybe his account is flagged for identity theft and they need to closely scrutinize his ID and ask more questions than normal? Without any background info, it's hard to tell if they were actually mistreated or not.

However, it's hard to believe that a branch full of employees would discriminate purposely inconvenience/piss off customers for no good reason. It's in their best interest to complete the transaction and get the customer out of the branch... they also have sales targets and it doesn't make sense to spend half an hour arguing with a customer that's not going to result in a sale, unless there's no other choice.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1215 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
I'm not quite sure what the OP is wanting.. us to be outraged? It's something to note if there's a pattern that supersedes this. I don't get the explanation of their political leanings though as to why it matters. Is this supposed to give their anecdotal post more credibility?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4859 posts
732 upvotes
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:00 pm
I'm not quite sure what the OP is wanting.. us to be outraged? It's something to note if there's a pattern that supersedes this. I don't get the explanation of their political leanings though as to why it matters. Is this supposed to give their anecdotal post more credibility?
I'm still trying to figure out how asking for ID/verifying the authenticity of the ID is supposed to be poor treatment. This happens to me at the bank or LCBO. Bank (TD) has taken photocopies of my driver's license more than once.

I'm still trying to figure out how "acting upper class" and being good-looking are supposed to be "viscous [sic]".
[OP]
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:46 pm
Who knows. Maybe this customer had a previous track record at the branch, or his accounts are frozen/under investigation for actual or suspected fraudulent activity. Maybe his account is flagged for identity theft and they need to closely scrutinize his ID and ask more questions than normal? Without any background info, it's hard to tell if they were actually mistreated or not.
Maybe. That can be true. But I think if you have to take your money from your account and do whatever you wanna do with it, the bank shouldn't give you a hard time, especially if you are like lets say moving your funds from one account to another WITHIN the same branch.

It is fascinating to me that, this is like a 3 second job that I frequently do with mobile app. And this can also be complicated when you go to a branch.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm still trying to figure out how "acting upper class" and being good-looking are supposed to be "viscous [sic]".
Yeah figure it out, you will probably understand. If you have any attractive friends who are women ask them to explain it to you.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1215 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
[..]
wonderkitty wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:09 pm
Maybe. That can be true. But I think if you have to take your money from your account and do whatever you wanna do with it, the bank shouldn't give you a hard time, especially if you are like lets say moving your funds from one account to another WITHIN the same branch.

It is fascinating to me that, this is like a 3 second job that I frequently do with mobile app. And this can also be complicated when you go to a branch.
The branch's job is really to upsell you on products. So they can and do discriminate right off the bat when they get your info as the screen tells them whether or not you're worth the time and effort to try and upsell products and services.

Example: When I was 100k in debt from student loans, they just churned me through.. but now they like me hanging around.

Also, I think it's interesting.. the way you're talking you either know more and aren't telling, or you think you know all you need to about this situation. Either way, I'll gladly stick with my initial presumption.
Last edited by MrDisco on Nov 8th, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: quote was removed
Sep 19, 2013
951 posts
269 upvotes
Winnipeg
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:00 pm
I was going to say - OP did the sane thing of putting her thoughts on a forum (rather than just assuming and making judgement) so that she would see all opinions (for and against) and engage in a conversation.

But looks like the reason for this thread is getting dragged far out.
Mar 22, 2012
60 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I am incredibly handsome with a nice car, CK suit, $1000 iphone, etc but sometimes I get treated like a criminal at RBC.