Off Topic

Locked: Why do some banks treat certain customers so badly? RBC discrimination?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 3:40 pm
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2943 posts
186 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:10 pm
Why would someone bring their passport to the bank?

That being said, my driver's license is on file with my bank so I don't really know why you wouldn't want your information on file with the people who have your money (unless it's TD).
when you lose wallet? How would you tell bank your are who you are? Most usual ids are lost with that.
Passport is one of the ids if you see any banks web page.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Dec 16, 2015
707 posts
284 upvotes
Canada
peanutz wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:08 pm
I bank with TD, so I'm not partial to RBC, but this does not look like bad treatment.

I have both a "regular job" with direct deposits to my chequing account, and a side job where I sometimes get irregular large cheques. They go into a separate business account. I have also gotten gift cheques. When requesting to deposit, or transfer the money between accounts (or into external brokerage accounts), they check ID, and will sometimes photocopy it (usually my driver's license as I do not carry my passport around for casual errands). It is part of the tellers' due diligence to help prevent fraud. I have done this more than once with my bank for separate unusual or large transactions. No, it does not depend on how one dresses. It seems to be standard protocol for the frontline staff; part of the procedure when dealing with large/unusual amounts of money being moved around.

I'm not sure why you think this guy was treated particularly badly. I have also been told that RBC staff are often good-looking downtown. What does this have to do with how this guy was treated?
Job requirement:
At least a 8/10
[OP]
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
pizza11 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:39 pm
I am incredibly handsome with a nice car, CK suit, $1000 iphone, etc but sometimes I get treated like a criminal at RBC.
I was rooting for you until the CK suit! But iPhone???? Thats gullible sadly :( :( :D
[OP]
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:03 pm
I'm still trying to figure out how asking for ID/verifying the authenticity of the ID is supposed to be poor treatment. This happens to me at the bank or LCBO. Bank (TD) has taken photocopies of my driver's license more than once.
[sic]".
Lets say you give me your ID for example a DL or Passport. I take it, look at it, hmmm...read it line by line guiding my pointy finger on each line, look at you, look at the passport again, look at all the other pages, flip it around, check its durability, take another 4 mins tinkering with it, now im bringing in my magnifying glass, or a microscope :D Then I give it a sniff test. Make pointless suspicious chit chat with you during this ordeal, are you a cat person or a dog person? My mom hates cats, btw did you get this ID from the government while I hold it under a flash light.

Let me call in a few other staff to look at your passport, after they leave, hold on...I will be right back. Then I come back, oh...let me take your passport with me while you stand here. I disappear, go inside the managers room, come back after another 5 minutes. We have only your driving license on the file, can we add your passport to your file?

Is that necessary? Do you ask everyone that? No but it would be good if we did. After a firm no, oh okay no worries.

So you would be okay with that? when you just wanna buy your beer/return at the LCBO or moving YOUR payroll money from your chequing to saving account or vice versa???

Obviously Im exaggerating 100% times and being dramatic. But I couldn't eavesdrop very well lol Thankfully the guy was loud enough and said it is a real passport! So that is how it went down more or less :D
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7957 posts
781 upvotes
Ottawa
I've personally never gotten any different service no matter if I wore a shirt & pants, or came in with sweatpants and a T-shirt.

I mean in this day & age it's very difficult to tell one's wealth based purely on the style of their clothing.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:24 pm
You sure know a lot of obscure details about this interaction that you weren't a part of.

Just saying...
I love drama it was boring to sit around for 30 mins or more lol hung over too. Every sound was audible lol
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
4132 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
This can happen everywhere banks, stores, car dealership... if you dress down and present yourself as such don’t expect 5 star treatment.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1446 posts
432 upvotes
The reality is that certain demographics in the city near Mississauga have really destroyed the image for their kind. If you talk to insurance people you'll hear it a lot. You can call it discrimination if you want - but is it really discrimination when you are describing what you're seeing and have no choice but to act on the evidence in front of your eyes?

The word "scammer" is now synonymous with a certain ethnic group. And they cannot blame other groups for that reputation.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:09 pm
The reality is that certain demographics in the city near Mississauga have really destroyed the image for their kind. If you talk to insurance people you'll hear it a lot. You can call it discrimination if you want - but is it really discrimination when you are describing what you're seeing and have no choice but to act on the evidence in front of your eyes?

The word "scammer" is now synonymous with a certain ethnic group. And they cannot blame other groups for that reputation.
That's ridiculous. It's his money he wants to move to another account. They are holding his money for him. How is he a scammer?

I would agree if he was trying to use someone else's credit card or what not at Best buy.

BTW I'm mixed. Half scammer.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15609 posts
4372 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
pizza11 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:39 pm
I am incredibly handsome with a nice car, CK suit, $1000 iphone, etc but sometimes I get treated like a criminal at RBC.
iPhone X?
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1161 posts
117 upvotes
Logtown
hugh_da_man wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:24 pm
You sure know a lot of obscure details about this interaction that you weren't a part of.

Just saying...
Really is quite amazing. Face Screaming In Fear
Aug 31, 2017
183 posts
48 upvotes
OP, I've seen what you're talking about in different bank branches, but this board will usually go to bat against the victim.

Pretty shitty behaviour from RBC staff it sounds like, and one day all that beauty will fade and someone else will come along to replace them
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2820 posts
213 upvotes
He shouldn’t have been so accommodating. Over half an hour to simply transfer funds from one of his accounts to another? And he had two pieces of valid ID? Unacceptable. I would have asked for a manager after 5 minutes.
Aug 31, 2017
183 posts
48 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:09 pm

Damn, that is dangerous and prejudice thinking, and if you work with such thinking you'll be a miserable person and I would not want to do business with you at all.

Scammers come in every form. Just watch those CBC exposes.

Insurance has very jaded people, and that is why they need new blood in there.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1446 posts
432 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:19 pm
Damn, that is dangerous and prejudice thinking, and if you work with such thinking you'll be a miserable person and I would not want to do business with you at all.

Scammers come in every form. Just watch those CBC exposes.

Insurance has very jaded people, and that is why they need new blood in there.
Every ethnic group have scammers. Certain groups have a lot more scammers - go talk to insurers, if they're willing to be very frank with you. I used to have a very open mind, until I dealt with this group and found many of them were proud that they found a way to scam their employers or whoever they're targeting and thought they were doing me a favor by telling me this, because they incorrectly assumed everyone else in the world is just like them. What does it say about that group when they don't even care about their reputations? They're proud of it. Why should you care when they don't.