Off Topic

Locked: Why do some banks treat certain customers so badly? RBC discrimination?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 3:40 pm
Newbie
Feb 28, 2008
85 posts
18 upvotes
The fact that apparently the Telephone Banking rep told him to visit a bank leads me to believe there is a caution or possibly restriction on his account that required the ID’ing.

Regardless, all of this is just assumption. Would need both sides story to really see the whole picture.
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
MyLoveForTofu wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:01 pm
The fact that apparently the Telephone Banking rep told him to visit a bank leads me to believe there is a caution or possibly restriction on his account that required the ID’ing.

Regardless, all of this is just assumption. Would need both sides story to really see the whole picture.

That's a good point. Call me crazy but I'm going to call RBC phone support even though I don't have any business with them. I am gonna ask why the phone support reps can't do a transfer from one account to another over the phone and why they would send a client to a branch.

Lol I can hear you say get a life. This is my life. I'll write a book someday with all my anecdotal experience lol
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1213 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
wonderkitty wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:19 pm
That's a good point. Call me crazy but I'm going to call RBC phone support even though I don't have any business with them. I am gonna ask why the phone support reps can't do a transfer from one account to another over the phone and why they would send a client to a branch.

Lol I can hear you say get a life. This is my life. I'll write a book someday with all my anecdotal experience lol
Record the call, post it.. for "information's" sake.
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:24 pm
Record the call, post it.. for "information's" sake.
I'll try. But if you think I'm gonna lie or making shit up about anything you're welcome to call them yourself and verify in case if I found out there's a valid reason they'd ask someone to head to the branch.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1213 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
wonderkitty wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:32 pm
I'll try. But if you think I'm gonna lie or making shit up about anything you're welcome to call them yourself and verify in case if I found out there's a valid reason they'd ask someone to head to the branch.
It's not the banks reasoning I question.
Banned
Nov 7, 2017
28 posts
5 upvotes
wonderkitty wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:58 am
Does it depend on the way one dresses? I was at the liberty village RBC location and saw an Indian guy who didn't look all that sketchy I guess he came to this branch after the gym. Literally treated like a homeless guy or a terrorist. I guess he wanted to transfer some money from his one account to another, his own money.

But they made it like, it was a scene.

Pretty much all the employees were like, is there a problem? is everything okay here and came to that teller, crowding that area. He clearly says, here is my Canadian passport, driving license. The mobile app does not work for me, I just want the money from this account to the other. I don't understand why this is hard to do?

Someone grabbed his passport and was looking for a magnifier. Took it to the backroom, came back and said do you mind if we add this on your file. He says, is that required? Do you ask everyone to put their passport on their file? They say no its just more convenient for you. He says, I'd rather not thank you. Then they went on about why not? He almost broke down and it was miserable to watch. He said it is a real passport!

I was sitting on the couch and couldn't believe what I was watching. The most viscous thing was, everyone acted like they are so upper class, all good looking gals in their 20s, done up with a smile, short skirt, full make up, low cut, think Titanic rich people, with a fake smile but you can see they just...lolol
Then my friend was done with her work and we left. Not sure what happened to that guy.
I legit felt bad for him. I should also add that the whole thing took like half an hour because my friend was in there for half an hour. They went back and forth, sometimes him standing there by himself.

For the record, I am conservative (more like right wing if you wanna call that), don't care for immigration really unless its legally done and adding value to the country. So just putting it out there in case anyone wonders if Im making this post to push left agenda. I am not. I hate Trudeau.
I am pretty sure if he was white, things would have been different.

He had 2 pieces of photo ID with him ( his passport & DL ) , plus he had his debit card with him, he wanted to transfer his own money between his own accounts. Plus he was physically there, not like he was doing it over the phone or online. There are cameras all over the bank.

They could have further asked him a few security or verification questions if they wanted. They still chose to treat him like a criminal and as if he was committing fraud or something. Nothing but racial discrimination at its best.
Banned
Nov 7, 2017
28 posts
5 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:09 pm
The reality is that certain demographics in the city near Mississauga have really destroyed the image for their kind. If you talk to insurance people you'll hear it a lot. You can call it discrimination if you want - but is it really discrimination when you are describing what you're seeing and have no choice but to act on the evidence in front of your eyes?

The word "scammer" is now synonymous with a certain ethnic group. And they cannot blame other groups for that reputation.
Only a racist & xenophobic person would say something like that.

When I worked PT in retail, when I was a high school kid. Whenever a black guy would walk in, my manager's would ask us to keep a watch on him ! We even used to follow him around !

Now when I look back upon life, I know how wrong that was. At that time it did not even occur to me it was racism or discrimination we were doing. We were just doing something out of prejudice and stereotyping and because the boss told us to do it !

Guess what ! Most of the shop lifters we would catch were non-black..LOL. While we were busy following innocent black guys, other unrelated folks were robbing us blind as no one was watching them..ha ha.
Banned
Nov 7, 2017
28 posts
5 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:10 pm
Why would someone bring their passport to the bank?

That being said, my driver's license is on file with my bank so I don't really know why you wouldn't want your information on file with the people who have your money (unless it's TD).
Bcoz the Call centre asked him to go there with 2 pieces of photo ID. OHIP health card card is not accepted as a photo ID.

Guess what ? For most people Passport & DL are the only 2 photo ID's they have in the house. My dad doesn't even drive ! So his passport is the only photo ID he has !

So lot of times he has issues.

Usually he takes his credit cards with his name on it , utility bill, property tax bill, his OHIP card ( although they don't accept it as a photo ID), and his SIN card along with him, when they ask for ID's, because the only photo ID he has which is accepted is the Canadian Passport !

He is planning to pay $ 35 & get the following Ontario Photo Card :)

smx-staff-management-amazon-horrible-te ... #p28441718
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
15665 posts
4418 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:23 pm
I've never ventured on to those other sites, but I don't think I could ever drink with folks on here lol. Although I'm sure most would probably not say these things in person. The beauty of the internet eh
In person I’d say everything I’d say on here and a bit more lol. As I get older I stop giving an f about who I offend.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Jr. Member
Aug 31, 2017
197 posts
48 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:09 am
In person I’d say everything I’d say on here and a bit more lol. As I get older I stop giving an f about who I offend.
Real Sports Bar. Friday Night. BRING IT.
Jr. Member
Aug 31, 2017
197 posts
48 upvotes
MyLoveForTofu wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:01 pm
The fact that apparently the Telephone Banking rep told him to visit a bank leads me to believe there is a caution or possibly restriction on his account that required the ID’ing.

Regardless, all of this is just assumption. Would need both sides story to really see the whole picture.
The call centre and branch people tend to dislike one another. One may say one thing, and the other a completely different story. There is rarely ever consistency between the 2. Same thing with telecom.

It boils down to some people being jaded. I.E.
"Why does a person that looks like this make more than I do?" or "Why should I help someone who I perceive as lesser than myself?" or "This person doesn't deserve this great deal from retentions, I'm going to do everything to make sure they have a bad experience in store or stall"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 1, 2006
3678 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
wonderkitty wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:58 am
Does it depend on the way one dresses? I was at the liberty village RBC location and saw an Indian guy who didn't look all that sketchy I guess he came to this branch after the gym. Literally treated like a homeless guy or a terrorist. I guess he wanted to transfer some money from his one account to another, his own money.

But they made it like, it was a scene.
OP, I don't get it... you were sitting on a couch, and don't know half of the story... then you come here to complain about something you are half creating in your mind. Have you ever thought that there might be in place some policies because the amount he wanted to transfer is way more than what the teller is authorized to do?

Be careful with what you post on social media... you don't know the story and come here to post something that is biased by your own opinion.
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2330 posts
1233 upvotes
miyoshidoll wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:24 am
I am pretty sure if he was white, things would have been different.

He had 2 pieces of photo ID with him ( his passport & DL ) , plus he had his debit card with him, he wanted to transfer his own money between his own accounts. Plus he was physically there, not like he was doing it over the phone or online. There are cameras all over the bank.

They could have further asked him a few security or verification questions if they wanted. They still chose to treat him like a criminal and as if he was committing fraud or something. Nothing but racial discrimination at its best.
How the heck did you come to that conclusion? Were you there? Even @wonderkitty was just an observer.

How do you know the guy wasn't asking to take money out of someone else's account or do a transaction that he's not allowed to do? What if it's an account that he wants to transfer from where the joint account holder is not present or has closed/blocked the account? What if the IDs we're indeed fake / didn't look like the guy at all?

If the bank employees give someone a hard time, there's usually a good reason.... If a call center rep can't complete a simple transaction, there's probably a very good reason for that too. In banking, the customer is always wrong.
Last edited by superfresh89 on Nov 9th, 2017 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
wonderkitty wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:19 pm
That's a good point. Call me crazy but I'm going to call RBC phone support even though I don't have any business with them. I am gonna ask why the phone support reps can't do a transfer from one account to another over the phone and why they would send a client to a branch.

Lol I can hear you say get a life. This is my life. I'll write a book someday with all my anecdotal experience lol
I woulldn't waste the energy on a phone call. RBC has gotten bone ******** over the last couple years. I've been banking there all my life and every time I had switched in the past I went running back. Last time I called about cashing a USD cheque from a US bank they transferred me to a branch in Atlanta. I've been moving everything away from RBC the last few weeks. I feel sick for all the money I've paid them over my life because they are so stupid. Or I'm stupid because I haven't been doing free banking all this time. I will be. I have no expectations but just don't lose my money when it's free.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2330 posts
1233 upvotes
eldeejay wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:22 am
I woulldn't waste the energy on a phone call. RBC has gotten bone ******** over the last couple years. I've been banking there all my life and every time I had switched in the past I went running back. Last time I called about cashing a USD cheque from a US bank they transferred me to a branch in Atlanta. I've been moving everything away from RBC the last few weeks. I feel sick for all the money I've paid them over my life because they are so stupid. Or I'm stupid because I haven't been doing free banking all this time. I will be. I have no expectations but just don't lose my money when it's free.
That's RBC Bank Georgia. That's where they transfer people to open a true US Account. It's a true US bank and not the same as USD account at RBC Royal Bank

For a USD cheque... You just walk in and give it to a teller to cash.... Not sure why you had to call for that.

Top