Off Topic

Locked: Why do some banks treat certain customers so badly? RBC discrimination?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 3:40 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
superfresh89 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:26 am
That's RBC Bank Georgia. That's where they transfer people to open a true US Account. It's a true US bank and not the same as USD account at RBC Royal Bank

For a USD cheque... You just walk in and give it to a teller to cash.... Not sure why you had to call for that.
I wanted to deposit it to a USD chequing account. Teller said it had to be converted to CAD first and if I wanted to deposit to the USD account, convert again. They make 2% or more on each level. Not gonna happen.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2329 posts
1232 upvotes
eldeejay wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:52 am
I wanted to deposit it to a USD chequing account. Teller said it had to be converted to CAD first and if I wanted to deposit to the USD account, convert again. They make 2% or more on each level. Not gonna happen.
That's totally false and just a case of bad teller training. You can most definitely deposit a US cheque to a US account.... I do it all the time.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15810 posts
469 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
wonderkitty wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:58 am
Does it depend on the way one dresses? I was at the liberty village RBC location and saw an Indian guy who didn't look all that sketchy I guess he came to this branch after the gym. Literally treated like a homeless guy or a terrorist. I guess he wanted to transfer some money from his one account to another, his own money.

But they made it like, it was a scene.

Pretty much all the employees were like, is there a problem? is everything okay here and came to that teller, crowding that area. He clearly says, here is my Canadian passport, driving license. The mobile app does not work for me, I just want the money from this account to the other. I don't understand why this is hard to do?

Someone grabbed his passport and was looking for a magnifier. Took it to the backroom, came back and said do you mind if we add this on your file. He says, is that required? Do you ask everyone to put their passport on their file? They say no its just more convenient for you. He says, I'd rather not thank you. Then they went on about why not? He almost broke down and it was miserable to watch. He said it is a real passport!

I was sitting on the couch and couldn't believe what I was watching. The most viscous thing was, everyone acted like they are so upper class, all good looking gals in their 20s, done up with a smile, short skirt, full make up, low cut, think Titanic rich people, with a fake smile but you can see they just...lolol
Then my friend was done with her work and we left. Not sure what happened to that guy.
I legit felt bad for him. I should also add that the whole thing took like half an hour because my friend was in there for half an hour. They went back and forth, sometimes him standing there by himself.

For the record, I am conservative (more like right wing if you wanna call that), don't care for immigration really unless its legally done and adding value to the country. So just putting it out there in case anyone wonders if Im making this post to push left agenda. I am not. I hate Trudeau.
should've vented to RBC's twitter account instead. when i had a problem with another Big 5 bank, i vented to their twitter account (publicly) and the next day I got a DM from one of their VP's private twitter accounts... now that's something you'll never get if you merely "call their 1-800 number"!
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15810 posts
469 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
AndySixx wrote: I don't get the explanation of their political leanings though as to why it matters. Is this supposed to give their anecdotal post more credibility?
Thanks to certain newly-registered (within the past 3 months), possibly-formerly-banned, members who like to bash everyone they disagree with as a "leftist" -- even reasonable posters now need to insert a "I hate Trudeau, I worship Harper!" for their posts to be taken seriously.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15662 posts
4416 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:27 am
Real Sports Bar. Friday Night. BRING IT.
come down to Burlington

F driving to Toronto
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1687 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
wonderkitty wrote:
Does it depend on the way one dresses? I was at the liberty village RBC location and saw an Indian guy who didn't look all that sketchy I guess he came to this branch after the gym. Literally treated like a homeless guy or a terrorist.
Stop projecting your stereotypes and prejudices on others. Homeless people go to banks to get government cheques cashed all the time. Back when I was a teller, we'd have more than a few come in at that time of the month - it's just not a big deal as it's a regular occurence. Only people like you think bank employees care or would bother to WASTE time treating someone badly just because they are or look homeless. That's just plain moronic when the simpler course of action is to process the transaction and move on to the next customer.
wonderkitty wrote:
The most viscous thing was, everyone acted like they are so upper class, all good looking gals in their 20s, done up with a smile, short skirt, full make up, low cut, think Titanic rich people, with a fake smile but you can see they just...lolol
More BS stereotyping from you. Who cares how a teller looks, yet here you are projecting your prejudice against "upper class", "good looking gals" "think Titanic rich" like that's supposed to automatically make them all hateful people.
wonderkitty wrote:
I guess he wanted to transfer some money from his one account to another, his own money.
And here's the real problem. You DON'T know the whole story. There could be dozens of legitimate reasons why the transaction could not be executed. Off the top of my head, I can name a few:

- funds are still on temporary hold until a cheque clears
- funds are still on temporary hold as a newly opened account goes through probationary period
- names not exact match (ie "Elizabeth" on passport vs "Bessie" on account)
- dual signature account
- previous fraud attempt on account, so client puts on self restriction for 2 IDs at all times like D/L and SIN card only with no mention of passport
- trying to transfer from LIRA account to trading account
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1213 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
akira1971 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:17 am
Stop projecting your stereotypes and prejudices on others. Homeless people go to banks to get government cheques cashed all the time. Back when I was a teller, we'd have more than a few come in at that time of the month - it's just not a big deal as it's a regular occurence. Only people like you think bank employees care or would bother to WASTE time treating someone badly just because they are or look homeless. That's just plain moronic when the simpler course of action is to process the transaction and move on to the next customer.

I've been on both sides of the banks internal marketing systems, one side of being just a simple customer who they only want to pursue for month to month services like banking and insurance, and another side of being a customer they want to comprise of my whole wallet.

More BS stereotyping from you. Who cares how a teller looks, yet here you are projecting your prejudice against "upper class", "good looking gals" "think Titanic rich" like that's supposed to automatically make them all hateful people.

And here's the real problem. You DON'T know the whole story. There could be dozens of legitimate reasons why the transaction could not be executed. Off the top of my head, I can name a few:

- funds are still on temporary hold as a newly opened account goes through probationary period
- dual signature account
- previous fraud attempt on account, so client puts on self restriction for 2 IDs at all times like D/L and SIN card only with no mention of passport
We're in an era where it's vogue to assume the worst of people, go from zero to emotional extreme, or even create sockpuppet accounts to agree with ourselves/bash people we disagree with. There's really nothing about people that surprises me anymore.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
superfresh89 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:12 am
That's totally false and just a case of bad teller training. You can most definitely deposit a US cheque to a US account.... I do it all the time.
You would think. anyway, it's one thing out of many they've made it clear they don't want me or my money.
signature removed for inappropriate content
[OP]
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:22 am
How the heck did you come to that conclusion? Were you there? Even @wonderkitty was just an observer.

How do you know the guy wasn't asking to take money out of someone else's account or do a transaction that he's not allowed to do? What if it's an account that he wants to transfer from where the joint account holder is not present or has closed/blocked the account? What if the IDs we're indeed fake / didn't look like the guy at all?

If the bank employees give someone a hard time, there's usually a good reason.... If a call center rep can't complete a simple transaction, there's probably a very good reason for that too. In banking, the customer is always wrong.
Guys, I was able to hear most of the things because it happened on a Saturday morning. I was hung over still, sensitive to pin drop sounds. The branch was not crowded, just 3 or 4 ppl in total. It was very audible. He asked many times something like, why is this such a big deal. I would like you to transfer my money from one account to another and the only reason I am here is the mobile app is not working.
And I called the phone support. Somebody early on said, maybe the phone support found something on his account and flagged it and asked him to go to the branch instead of doing it themselves over the phone.

So when I called them, it was hard to ask questions since I am not their client. So when I did, they said, the phone banking reps have limitations on how much they can transfer for one day. If a client wants to transfer lets say 5000 or 10K or more, because of their limitations, the client can do it online or go to a branch with 2 pieces of govt ID.

Any one who does not believe me can call themselves.

They also tried to talk me into switching to RBC hahaha yeah no thanks.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
miyoshidoll wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:37 am
Only a racist & xenophobic person would say something like that.

When I worked PT in retail, when I was a high school kid. Whenever a black guy would walk in, my manager's would ask us to keep a watch on him ! We even used to follow him around !

Now when I look back upon life, I know how wrong that was. At that time it did not even occur to me it was racism or discrimination we were doing. We were just doing something out of prejudice and stereotyping and because the boss told us to do it !

Guess what ! Most of the shop lifters we would catch were non-black..LOL. While we were busy following innocent black guys, other unrelated folks were robbing us blind as no one was watching them..ha ha.
wow that is sick. I was at dollarama once and there was a black guy right behind me with a bunch of plates and stuff on his hand, I dont know why he didnt use a basket or a cart. The cashier suddenly called the security to the cash register security! He was next. The security just stood there the entire time he was checking out. He didn't interact, he just stood there. It was the dollarama by the Dundas west station and Bloor. Another time, I think it was a gaurdian pharmacy I think on the path, a black guy with hood walked in, immediately theres an aisle. The anouncement was, security to the aisle 2.

The cashier at Dollarama was a middle eastern lady, and at the Gaurdian pharmacy was a Filipina. So not sure they are really racists or they were instructed by their managers to do that. I still don't believe theres racism
Last edited by wonderkitty on Nov 9th, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:57 am
Thanks to certain newly-registered (within the past 3 months), possibly-formerly-banned, members who like to bash everyone they disagree with as a "leftist" -- even reasonable posters now need to insert a "I hate Trudeau, I worship Harper!" for their posts to be taken seriously.
I am sorry I was not aware of that. This is a forum, which is off topic the reason I chose to post here and discuss. I say I hate Trudeau because I genuinely hate him so much and how he ruins our country. I am aware people are going to say things like, you are pushing your propaganda, saying how the minority is being treated badly by the privileged white people etc I wanted to make it clear that I do not believe there is racism, there are no privileged white superiority, but when something like this happens I started to wonder why and decided to hear what other peoples thoughts are. Some of them on this board are extremely sensitive, and right off the bat make this about them. I just dont get it. I asked a question, describing a situation I witnessed. Now I want to know what you think about the incident. I do not care about what you think about me, or you. This is not even about me, I still dont get why this has been turned against the poster and not the incident.
Apr 3, 2007
112 posts
7 upvotes
akira1971 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:17 am

- dual signature account
Pretty much agree with this.

It also depends on how much the guy wanted to transfer, even between his own account. A transfer means a WITHDRAWAL from one account and deposit to another one, and for a withdrawal, it depends on the teller's authorized limit. If the amount is over the teller's authorized limit, he would require a manager's signature to approve the transaction. Hence the going back and forth. And you also need to consider the case that most tellers are inexperience (high turnover rate), so the scenerio could be the teller go to the manager for approval, stand there wait for a few minutes (manager working on something else atm), then the manager asked for info like customer's id, customer's account conditions and the teller doesn't know the answer, so teller goes back to station to check and then go back to manager again back and forth... This is based on my experience as a teller a few years ago. Trust me, no matter how the teller dressed or how she looked, she didn't enjoy that, she would just want to finish that transaction quickly and moved on.

Based on the post, it's more like the OP had a perception on the whole situation to begin with, based on how the customer and bank employee looks, and then try to support her point of view using the "facts"...
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1213 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
wonderkitty wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:52 am
Guys, I was able to hear most of the things because it happened on a Saturday morning. I was hung over still, sensitive to pin drop sounds. The branch was not crowded, just 3 or 4 ppl in total. It was very audible. He asked many times something like, why is this such a big deal. I would like you to transfer my money from one account to another and the only reason I am here is the mobile app is not working.
And I called the phone support. Somebody early on said, maybe the phone support found something on his account and flagged it and asked him to go to the branch instead of doing it themselves over the phone.

So when I called them, it was hard to ask questions since I am not their client. So when I did, they said, the phone banking reps have limitations on how much they can transfer for one day. If a client wants to transfer lets say 5000 or 10K or more, because of their limitations, the client can do it online or go to a branch with 2 pieces of govt ID.

Any one who does not believe me can call themselves.

They also tried to talk me into switching to RBC hahaha yeah no thanks.
I'm not an RBC customer either (BMO, Scotia, Tangerine, and TD) but your story wouldn't have swayed me either way. If anything it made me take pity on branch employees for the customers (and non-customers) they tolerate.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1324 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
OP is making a whole lot of half assed assumptions
[OP]
Mar 30, 2017
182 posts
44 upvotes
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:41 pm
I'm not an RBC customer either (BMO, Scotia, Tangerine, and TD) but your story wouldn't have swayed me either way. If anything it made me take pity on branch employees for the customers (and non-customers) they tolerate.
I gave up on you after your very first moronic response. Yet you keep coming back begging me for validation. Very sad. Lol!
Here I will spell it for you.

I
Don't
Care
For
Your
Response.

Move on with your life!