Tags:
None
Nov 20, 2008
116 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto

Why do some companies just "forget" you post interview

Hi guys,

So I interviewed at this place; went well. Got called for a second interview with another person. That seemed to go alright too. They said they'd let me know in a week. It's been 3 weeks now. I've sent a thank you email immediately after the second interview and sent an email asking for an update after two weeks. No reply. This whole interview process has been unusually long, so they are likely taking their time. More than likely, I didn't get the job. I accept that. But I would still like to be notified -- is that too much to ask? Why do companies/HR people do this? Do they not realize it makes the company undesirable? [/rant]

Anyway, given that I've emailed twice, should I still call (one week after most recent email) to confirm 'the status of my application'?

Thanks
24 replies
Deal Addict
May 24, 2010
1034 posts
153 upvotes
EA did this to me when I was trying to break into the games industry. I talked with this HR guy and it went really well. He said he'd schedule something with the manager next week. 1 month later nothing, so after several emails of no reply from him, he finally says the manager has been on vacation but he's back so I can expect a meeting within a week. Another month later of nothing and I never hear from the guy again. A couple years later and I''m working on a title that outearns their entire mobile portfolio while they're laying people off left and right because they can't make any money with a bunch of idiots running the show. The HR guy doesn't work there anymore. Karma.

Some companies are sucky. Some HR people are sucky. Some managers are sucky. It could be any or all of these things, so no point worrying about it. Just try to look at it as probably being better you didn't go there. You'll end up somewhere where they at least show common courtesy and be better for it ... keep your head up!

As for writing more emails, at this point you can do whatever the hell you want. 99% chance they've already decided to leave you in the dust anyhow. If you want to send a strongly worded email that let's them know it's unprofessional to leave an applicant hanging, go for it if you think it'll make you feel better. You may as well because like I said, it's 99% a lost cause and that 1% chance is probably worth trading to get your frustration off your chest and find closure.

Keep it professional though.
Apr 26, 2012
427 posts
17 upvotes
A few months ago an HR rep responded to schedule a phone interview. We both agree on a time the next day, then she's unavailable when I call her. Then in the middle of rescheduling she stopped replying and I never heard from her again. No idea what i did wromg, but if I'm disqualified just do me the smallest courtesy and tell me so I don't waste my time.

I'd call one more time and forget about it. Never wait around for companies get back to you, keep applying and interviewing until you have an offer in your hand.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1637 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
Tell me about it.
I feel like every application I send it ends up going here: Image
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
They're interviewing too many people, it all becomes a blur, everyone is the same. They will tell you theres not enough time in the day to get back to you, or that 'not receiving a response is your answer to whether you move forward or not'. Just forget about it and keep applying elsewhere, think 'oh well, they missed out.'

It is really rude and inconsiderate though, nobody will argue with that. Especially if multiple interviews were involved.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7083 posts
5213 upvotes
I don't know why companies are not direct and don't want to say: sorry, we have chosen someone else.

Maybe they want a candidate to cool off and mentally move on.

Honestly, when you are applying and some positions receive 300 to 500 applicants, they can pretty much pick and choose what they feel is a deal breaker.

They want a cute little number with a nice smile, well you are a guy who definitely isn't little, so you lose.
They want a person who comes off as a little bit rude because the job requires dealing with delinquent customers, well the soft spoken person just doesn't seem the type to be persuading.

In Canada, they aren't officially allowed to discriminate, but honestly they secretly do.

Not much you can do about it. Well, unless they come out and say it; which is something they won't do because they don't want any legal ramifications.

Also, I am pretty sure that I have lost a few good opportunities because what I say what I want in compensation is more than they are willing to pay. It's a tough environment and many people are willing to work for nothing or close to it because they believe that it will lead to a better job down the road.

How exactly can you compete with someone who is desperately hoping that they can get something, anything? In the end, nearly all jobs are "Learnable" within reason.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
they don't owe you anything, you're just one of the thousands who apply to their company

it's dog eat dog..... employers have the power to pick and choose in this tough job recession
Nov 20, 2008
116 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
bluenose2 wrote: they don't owe you anything, you're just one of the thousands who apply to their company

it's dog eat dog..... employers have the power to pick and choose in this tough job recession

Fair point.
But I took time off from my job to travel to their interviews, and was given positive feedback. It's just proper business etiquette. I would expect some form of communication at the very least. I'm sure they don't have more than 10 candidates chosen for second rounds.

There should be a public shaming website for companies that do that. They don't deserve the talent. >=(
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1863 posts
344 upvotes
Woodbridge
renoldman wrote: I don't know why companies are not direct and don't want to say: sorry, we have chosen someone else.
to take this one step further. If you have a direct email with the HR contact...and you send out an email being reasonable and lookign for and update. To completely ignore it and not reply is beyond ridiculous imho. Hugely disrespectful and to me points to a selfish c*nt who lacks empathy and has no clue.

if you have met with someone in that context its not so difficult to send a reply either explaining why there was a delay OR they have decided to move on. If the person continues to email asking for more information...ok i could see cutting it off at that point. But to not respond initially is a huge d*ck move.

Though I could see a companies HR policy as to not respond at all... f*ck those places.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
Euphoric wrote: to take this one step further. If you have a direct email with the HR contact...and you send out an email being reasonable and lookign for and update. To completely ignore it and not reply is beyond ridiculous imho. Hugely disrespectful and to me points to a selfish c*nt who lacks empathy and has no clue.
Yep. I had this happen. I sent a thank you note and waited, then a follow up and both were ignored. I still have a bad vibe associated with that company bc the b*tch I met couldn't email me to say 'no thanks'.

Now I view it more as 'silence is the answer' and known to move on.

Companies have to acknowledge the bad feelings and perception this behavior incurs but I don't think they care.
Sep 24, 2014
27 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
First, agree that this behaviour is disrespectful and reflects poorly on the hiring staff and the company.

Second, agree with some of the sentiment that you should make one more attempt to reach out, to let them know you're still interested and hope to hear from them soon. That is, assuming you're still interested.

Third, it's fine to get all righteous on an anonymous forum, but never do anything you'll regret in the real world. HR and recruiters and hiring managers have long memories, and they move around to other companies - so, don't send an angry email, etc. I know people who got called months later and were offered a job (actually, one guy got offered a better job than he originally applied for - they filled the original job, and liked the guy, so when a better position opened up, they called him up).
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
dsg512 wrote: A few months ago an HR rep responded to schedule a phone interview. We both agree on a time the next day, then she's unavailable when I call her. Then in the middle of rescheduling she stopped replying and I never heard from her again. No idea what i did wromg, but if I'm disqualified just do me the smallest courtesy and tell me so I don't waste my time.

I'd call one more time and forget about it. Never wait around for companies get back to you, keep applying and interviewing until you have an offer in your hand.
Something similar happened to me, with Salesforce - http://www.salesforce.com/

Salesforce, for God's sake! Aren't they supposed to have a staff of HR professionals?

One of their HR people contacted me (I never applied, never contacted them) with a vague job description and promises of their expansion in Canada, etc. After emails back and forth, we set up a phone interview - she is supposed to call me (long distance from San Francisco) so I am waiting for her. And waiting. And waiting. But she never called.

I sent her a follow up email asking "wat happend?" and she forwarded my email to another HR minion who explained that the original lady was way too busy to talk to me, etc. etc. The second HR person proposed that we set up another time and that she would talk to me.

Come on! If she was way too busy to talk to me, why did she contact me in the first place?
Or if she is so busy she can't talk to me at all, why not hand it over to the second HR lady, instead of standing me up?
May 19, 2008
233 posts
108 upvotes
Ran into a similar situation a year ago, except it was after my third interview. It was down to myself and one other candidate, didn't get the job but at least they finally called to let me know after a month. They might be avoiding you to keep you as a viable option until their preferred candidate accepts the offer and starts the job.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
clseea wrote: Because you're not memorable?
Of course right back to the candidate, your usual mantra.

Its not about memorability - obviously something worked if the person got an interview. Its about lack of common courtesy and disrespect for peoples time.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
Silence is an answer. While technically an automated letter of rejection may offer closure, it may cause more questions than answers, which the company may not want to reply to honestly. Can a recruiter genuinely say to someone the reason they didn't get the job is because they had bad body odor in the interview? What if it's a medical condition? Could cause a discrimination case. Rejections tend to be politically correct anyways, not much value to getting one.

There is no true etiquette so to speak, but a letter or a callback if you were a very close candidate is the best personable option for sure. Just there should be no expectation that it will happen. Automated message or silence, do not put all eggs in one basket and move on to the next interview. If a job offer comes of it unexpectedly a month later, so be it.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
C_C wrote: Of course right back to the candidate, your usual mantra.

Its not about memorability - obviously something worked if the person got an interview. Its about lack of common courtesy and disrespect for peoples time.
I'm not sure why your reply was personal...... Weird
Getting an interview has nothing to do with being memorable. You either meet the requirements or you don't.
Feb 23, 2013
319 posts
199 upvotes
After working for a fair few companies in both the public and private sectors, I can honestly say that HR staff are usually the most disposable resource in any given organization, second only to piss pucks in the bathroom urinals. You could literally hire monkeys to throw darts at resumes hanging on a wall with similar results. They rarely do any better than software in terms of sorting out applications/resumes; management then combs through the remainders for proper applicants. The ones I've had to deal with are often disorganized, uninformed and have no idea what they're supposed to be looking for in an applicant/potential employee, and are far less intelligent than their HR diploma they got at some online college would have you give 'credit' for.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1651 posts
448 upvotes
Dk28 wrote: Ran into a similar situation a year ago, except it was after my third interview. It was down to myself and one other candidate, didn't get the job but at least they finally called to let me know after a month. They might be avoiding you to keep you as a viable option until their preferred candidate accepts the offer and starts the job.
This is exactly it.

If we're 100% sure we don't want a candidate after the interview, we send them a rejection note fairly quickly.

But if a candidate makes it to the "we could hire him, but he's not our first choice" stage, we don't send the rejection note until our first choice has accepted our offer. Unfortunately, it can sometimes take weeks between your interview and the first-choice candidate rejecting the job offer. Namely, unless you were the last interview, we still have to interview the remaining short-listed candidates, then rank them, check references, make a job offer and wait for acceptance.

I'm not defending the practice, but that's the reality of how it works. There have been times when we made an offer and it was turned down, so we went to choice #2.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)