Automotive

Why do we need to pay car insurance for all family members?

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2017 10:42 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3934 posts
445 upvotes
Thornhill

Why do we need to pay car insurance for all family members?

I am curious as to why this dumb rule was ever challenged in court as it has nothing to do with insurance and a simple money grab. My wife takes TTC to work and it's a short ride, she does not like driving our car and hasn't driven in years. So I am not exactly understanding why my insurance costs $900/year just because she has a drivers license?!!?
That makes no sense at all
Last edited by dazz on May 17th, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
41 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14954 posts
3957 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Can't you just take her off your insurance? She will have to sign a waiver stating that she will not drive the car though.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
1515 posts
403 upvotes
Ottawa
It's the insurance's way to safeguard itself from "occasional drivers". You can have your wife sign a waiver with the insurance co. to be removed from your policy and that she will never be driving your vehicle. Of course, this means that if she ever does, she would need her own insurance or she'll be driving illegally. Also, if she's taken off insurance, there will be a lapse in coverage the next time she tries to apply for insurance. The premium will be higher.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7652 posts
839 upvotes
Markham
They determine that they will have also access to your car and able to drive it.

Before, I had one car at home and it's manual, my fiancée doesn't drive manual so she won't able to drive it anyway but she still have to be listed as second driver, unless I add a clause and put her excluded.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4433 posts
2064 upvotes
Edmonton
dazz wrote:
May 17th, 2017 10:42 am
So I am not exactly understanding why my insurance costs $900/month just because she has a drivers license?!!?
$900/month? Something tells me there's more to the story than just your wife being an occasional driver on your policy...

C
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15128 posts
4224 upvotes
Ottawa
Was she not on your policy before?
Why is this only coming up now?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3804 posts
2413 upvotes
GTA
nasa25 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 10:43 am
Can't you just take her off your insurance? She will have to sign a waiver stating that she will not drive the car though.
+1, my uncle did this with his kids.
OP, you can do this, however if she's ever caught driving it or is in an accident while driving that would be fraud and you would not be covered by insurance.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1477 posts
284 upvotes
Kitchener
If you don't want your wife on the policy then exclude her with the 28A. The reason insurance companies rate for all drivers is that all drivers have access to the vehicle. Lets say that currently your wife does not drive the car at all, but she has a license. 2 months later, things change and she drives the car 95% of the time. How is the insurance company suppose to properly rate for the risk, unless we assume that all people will provide updated information every time their circumstances change. That's why the OPCF 28A endorsement exists, she can be excluded and therefore no longer is rated for but that also means she can not ever drive the car. Other option is she can give her license back and then she won't be a licensed driver. Considering the 900 a month, I assume there is more to this story with regards to the driving history, even in the GTA that's a bit higher than usual
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3804 posts
2413 upvotes
GTA
peelhic wrote:
May 17th, 2017 12:49 pm
If you don't want your wife on the policy then exclude her with the 28A. The reason insurance companies rate for all drivers is that all drivers have access to the vehicle. Lets say that currently your wife does not drive the car at all, but she has a license. 2 months later, things change and she drives the car 95% of the time. How is the insurance company suppose to properly rate for the risk, unless we assume that all people will provide updated information every time their circumstances change. That's why the OPCF 28A endorsement exists, she can be excluded and therefore no longer is rated for but that also means she can not ever drive the car. Other option is she can give her license back and then she won't be a licensed driver. Considering the 900 a month, I assume there is more to this story with regards to the driving history, even in the GTA that's a bit higher than usual
I don't think $900 is that high considering it borders Richmond Hill.
Jun 22, 2014
385 posts
80 upvotes
Markham, ON
engineered wrote:
May 17th, 2017 12:53 pm
I don't think $900 is that high considering it borders Richmond Hill.
900 per month comes out to $10,800 annually. An occasional driver *shouldn't* cost more than $1500 annually, unless there are other issues. If that leaves your annual premium at $9,000 for a single vehicle in the GTA, then you either have a really horrible driving record, or are driving an exotic vehicle.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1540 posts
754 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Come to BC, we don't have that rule here. You can have occasional drivers driving as long as they're not driving majority of the time.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15128 posts
4224 upvotes
Ottawa
bomber17 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:38 pm
Come to BC, we don't have that rule here. You can have occasional drivers driving as long as they're not driving majority of the time.
You mean, occasional drivers are not required to be inlcuded in a household policy and drive the vehicle?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4433 posts
2064 upvotes
Edmonton
Blehh wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:48 pm
probably meant $900/year
At $900/year, he shouldn't be complaining about anything, occasional driver or not. IMHO. :)

C