Automotive

Why do we need to pay car insurance for all family members?

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2017 10:42 am
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20921 posts
1889 upvotes
engineered wrote:
May 17th, 2017 12:53 pm
I don't think $900 is that high considering it borders Richmond Hill.
$900 a month is insane. Even a new G2 driver is less than that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5106 posts
764 upvotes
assuming your wife has a similar record to you she would charge no extra money i think

unless your wife has an accident or tickets -- in which case she is not really never driving.

either add her onto the policy or exclude her -- two easy choices.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1624 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
vkizzle wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:48 pm
You mean, occasional drivers are not required to be included in a household policy and drive the vehicle?
Nope. You can even lend your car out to others and no increase to premiums. That's why you have parents insuring their kids cars under their name for cheaper insurance. However if it's been determined the kids are the primary operator instead of the parents then ICBC can deny claim.

But yeah, your insurance is the same whether you have 2 drivers or 10 in your household.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5250 posts
1456 upvotes
Kootenays
vkizzle wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:48 pm
You mean, occasional drivers are not required to be inlcuded in a household policy and drive the vehicle?
No, it means that occasional drivers living in the home must be on the policy if they will drive the car. If they won't be driving the car, there's no need to include them. We have a Venza and an F 150. We don't allow our 17 YO son to drive the Venza, but he takes the truck to school most days. It adds $35 per year to our premium.
Jul 24, 2009
585 posts
378 upvotes
kitchener
I am curious as to why this dumb rule was ever challenged in court as it has nothing to do with insurance and a simple money grab. My wife takes TTC to work and it's a short ride, she does not like driving our car and hasn't driven in years. So I am not exactly understanding why my insurance costs $900/month just because she has a drivers license?!!?
That makes no sense at all
It actually makes perfect sense...the insurance companies are bunch of crooks and this is how they increase their profit margins.
It should not matter if you're living by yourself, or with 100 other people whom all have their driver's license as you are the one insuring your car, that is in your name....period.
What they should be doing is to ask you politely, if you want to include anyone from the household on your policy...
Should you decline, that should be the end of story....this should be the default setting.
Of course if someone other than you gets caught driving your car, only then there should be any repercussions...not sooner.

This kind of reminds me of reverse billing, when the onus is on you to take certain steps in order not to be charged...in this case the onus is on you to be filing some BS exclusion statement forms....
I wholeheartedly agree that you shouldn't have to, but this is how the crooks rigged the system to their favour, while the government is watching.
There are ways to get them back, but I cannot disclose any of that as the trigger happy censor is just waiting for someone to give out instructions on how to beat "the man".
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1624 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
smacd wrote:
May 17th, 2017 7:39 pm
No, it means that occasional drivers living in the home must be on the policy if they will drive the car. If they won't be driving the car, there's no need to include them. We have a Venza and an F 150. We don't allow our 17 YO son to drive the Venza, but he takes the truck to school most days. It adds $35 per year to our premium.
Thats not true though. You don't "add drivers" to policy, you only declare one primary operator. Are you sure you're not confusing the 10 year experienced driver savings instead? That would prevent anyone with less than 10 years driving experience from driving your car.
Current Fido customer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5250 posts
1456 upvotes
Kootenays
bomber17 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 7:56 pm
Thats not true though. You don't "add drivers" to policy, you only declare one primary operator. Are you sure you're not confusing the 10 year experienced driver savings instead? That would prevent anyone with less than 10 years driving experience from driving your car.
Definitely not. We have 2 sons, one 20 and out of the house, and one 17 and living home and in high school. When the older one got his Novice licence ("N"), we had to add him to the policy of the truck, as he would be driving it to work. It added around $30 to the premium and he was added to the policy as a secondary driver. He then moved to Victoria, so he's not on the policy any more. When our younger son got his "N", we also had to add him to our policy. With an "L" (Learner) permit, neither required us to change our policy, but once they graduated to Novice, we had to add them on. Both my wife and I have 10 year accident free records and of course neither of them does, so perhaps that has a bearing, but if either had an accident, we could lose our rating. I believe we have 1 accident forgiveness, though. For the truck, I'm listed as primary and both my wife and son are listed as secondary drivers. It may be that it's on our supplementary policy (comprehensive and extra liability) through BCAA though. The truck's not home or I'd go check.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1624 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
smacd wrote:
May 17th, 2017 9:49 pm
Definitely not. We have 2 sons, one 20 and out of the house, and one 17 and living home and in high school. When the older one got his Novice licence ("N"), we had to add him to the policy of the truck, as he would be driving it to work. It added around $30 to the premium and he was added to the policy as a secondary driver. He then moved to Victoria, so he's not on the policy any more. When our younger son got his "N", we also had to add him to our policy. With an "L" (Learner) permit, neither required us to change our policy, but once they graduated to Novice, we had to add them on. Both my wife and I have 10 year accident free records and of course neither of them does, so perhaps that has a bearing, but if either had an accident, we could lose our rating. I believe we have 1 accident forgiveness, though. For the truck, I'm listed as primary and both my wife and son are listed as secondary drivers. It may be that it's on our supplementary policy (comprehensive and extra liability) through BCAA though. The truck's not home or I'd go check.
BCAA is probably the one charging you extra for premiums. ICBC only cares about one driver, the principal operator. It even says on the ICBC website. On the insurance papers the ICBC portion, there would only be the account holder name and the Principal Operator name. Premiums are the same regardless if you had 1 other driver or 5. Only difference is the 10 year experience discount but if you add that on, no one under 10 year experience can drive your car so a lot of parents take that off.

BCAA probably does accident forgiveness differently but ICBC does it on a CRS level. It's going to be changed soon so you only get 1. Back on old system if you had full 43% discount you had 3 accident forgiveness before your premiums increased.
Current Fido customer.
Jan 17, 2009
317 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Wait a sec...I just read some other posts in the thread and I'm in the same boat...I just got new insurance for my brand new car and it's manual transmission. My wife has no idea how to drive it, but she is listed on my insurance. If I insist to remove her, my insurance can come down a touch? really?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3640 posts
611 upvotes
Brampton ON
dazz wrote:
May 17th, 2017 10:42 am
I am curious as to why this dumb rule was ever challenged in court as it has nothing to do with insurance and a simple money grab. My wife takes TTC to work and it's a short ride, she does not like driving our car and hasn't driven in years. So I am not exactly understanding why my insurance costs $900/month just because she has a drivers license?!!?
That makes no sense at all
$900 monthly, maybe it's not that wife why you pay so much? Coz me and wife $127 monthly Brampton Location.
As-salamu alaykum
Freedom Mobile $21 10gb
iPhone 8 64gb & Plan $50 - 35% = 32.5 + $15 = $47.5 * 24 = $1140 - $929 =$211 for 24 months =
BYOP ( Plan * 24months + Phone )
Contract ( Plan * 24months - Phone - GC )

Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9584 posts
1245 upvotes
Toronto
Statistically, have a license, have access to a car. On no, I won't drive. But Oh yes, I did take the car out quickly to the store to get some bread.

Oh, just once in a blue moon to the train station to pick up my mom. Really, it's nothing, just the sidestreets. Honesly, I don't drive the car. How can I, when we have 1 car, and when my dad drives it everyday to work.
Jun 22, 2014
385 posts
80 upvotes
Markham, ON
hshot_rooke wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:04 am
Wait a sec...I just read some other posts in the thread and I'm in the same boat...I just got new insurance for my brand new car and it's manual transmission. My wife has no idea how to drive it, but she is listed on my insurance. If I insist to remove her, my insurance can come down a touch? really?
The issue with this thread right now is that it's discussing both BC and ON insurance simultaneously.

Take a look at your policy. If your wife is listed on the policy as an occasional driver and being charged for it, it will tell you in the premium breakdown. And yes, you can ask for what is called an OPCF28A to exclude her as a driver on your policy.
Last edited by Biskuits on May 18th, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1041 posts
270 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
May 17th, 2017 2:07 pm
At $900/year, he shouldn't be complaining about anything, occasional driver or not. IMHO. :)

C
Not to sound rude but $900 a year is still $900 a year. That's money that could be spent or saved elsewhere. I totally what you're saying though, but I think to say that just because it's only $900 a year he shouldn't be complaining is a bit crude especially when you don't know OP's financial situation.
Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6466 posts
2808 upvotes
Markham
Jesus christ there are two scenarios here:

1. $900 a year, which works out to $75 a month. At this rate, no one's going to make a thread on RFD.

2. $900 a month, well... jesus christ what did you do to get this rate? I am surprised there is an insurer out there willing to insure this kind of a record.
Jun 22, 2014
385 posts
80 upvotes
Markham, ON
Anikiri wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:02 am
Jesus christ there are two scenarios here:

1. $900 a year, which works out to $75 a month. At this rate, no one's going to make a thread on RFD.

2. $900 a month, well... jesus christ what did you do to get this rate? I am surprised there is an insurer out there willing to insure this kind of a record.
In Ontario at least, Facility Association will insure all the worst kind of driving records. I know someone with a policy from them at $14,000 for a 6 month policy. He reeeeally likes to speed.