Shopping Discussion

Why does clearance junk food sell out so quickly at walmart.ca?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2015 4:56 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4294 upvotes

Why does clearance junk food sell out so quickly at walmart.ca?

I can never get in on the clearance deals for candy and junk food since it seems like whenever deals are posted they are all gone in a matter of 5 minutes or less.

Why does this happen?

Walmart.ca should really place a quantity limit on clearance items so everyone gets a chance to score some cheap stuff.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15518 posts
5778 upvotes
Because junk food is something that most people want to buy? You cannot possibly be the only one looking for it, and with Walmart, there is probably a very large crowd who are either searching for it or stumble across it. Combine that with their horrible inventory, and it's no wonder most clearance deals that are worthwhile never stay up longer than 5 minutes.

Once they take away the free shipping for every order I am sure it will be a bit better.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
235 upvotes
Markham
Because eating healthy is expensive
Be Happy
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2013
1306 posts
112 upvotes
Halifax
Lots of corner stores need stock, when you see the guy with a shopping cart full of 2l cola for .99 he is taking it back to his store to sell for $2.50 or more ,I assume they are watching Wallmart as well. With no limits good deals will sell out fast.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Lincoln65 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2015 10:31 pm
Lots of corner stores need stock, when you see the guy with a shopping cart full of 2l cola for .99 he is taking it back to his store to sell for $2.50 or more ,I assume they are watching Wallmart as well. With no limits good deals will sell out fast.
While that makes sense, are they allowed to bypass their usual suppliers?
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2015 9:11 pm
I can never get in on the clearance deals for candy and junk food since it seems like whenever deals are posted they are all gone in a matter of 5 minutes or less.

Why does this happen?

Walmart.ca should really place a quantity limit on clearance items so everyone gets a chance to score some cheap stuff.
Blame your avatars. Have you seen how flabby they're getting lately? :lol:
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Mar 5, 2013
495 posts
118 upvotes
Ottawa
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2015 10:38 pm
A lot of the smaller stores don't receive deliveries - not enough stock to make it worth paying a driver. They have to go out and pick up their merchandise. They have access to warehouse stores that are only open to businesses (like Costco used to be), but for stuff like Coke, Pepsi and chips, they're just as likely to get a better deal when it's on sale at Walmart.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11824 posts
1670 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Tornado F2 wrote:
And who's checking on them.. srusly. Many small businesses buy stuff on sale. In fact major grocers have special commercial cards, identifiers, membership, etc for commercial/small business accounts. I would see a bunch of mom and pop owners I recognize go to the food basic nearest me and buy tons of stuff for convenience stores, restaurants, etc. They present a card that identifies them as a business. Now I dont know what discount they get but that supplier could be the retailer themselves.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11824 posts
1670 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:

Why does this happen?

Umm, try at the store level. I always see tons of the same cheap crap on sale at walmart and no one touches it.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
blueeyetea wrote:
Feb 18th, 2015 10:49 am
A lot of the smaller stores don't receive deliveries - not enough stock to make it worth paying a driver. They have to go out and pick up their merchandise. They have access to warehouse stores that are only open to businesses (like Costco used to be), but for stuff like Coke, Pepsi and chips, they're just as likely to get a better deal when it's on sale at Walmart.
aznnorth wrote:
Feb 18th, 2015 11:04 am
And who's checking on them.. srusly. Many small businesses buy stuff on sale. In fact major grocers have special commercial cards, identifiers, membership, etc for commercial/small business accounts. I would see a bunch of mom and pop owners I recognize go to the food basic nearest me and buy tons of stuff for convenience stores, restaurants, etc. They present a card that identifies them as a business. Now I dont know what discount they get but that supplier could be the retailer themselves.
I can understand mom and pop stores doing that, but I was thinking of franchise Macs stores, for example. Head office can probably track their sales figures and see that additional stock is coming in from elsewhere.

As for buying from elsewhere, I was a victim of that at least once. A hard drive that I bought from a seemingly-large computer store in TO died under warranty, but the manufacturer refused to honour the warranty as it had "been purchases at Costco", not the retailer I'd dealt with. Needless to say, I never dealt with that retailer, or that now-defunct HDD manufacturer again.
Jan 17, 2013
457 posts
81 upvotes
Sarnia
big tins of Quality Street chocolates at our Walmart $8... over by the card and book section.. not where you figure they'd be. Often times I've found this sort of thing with Walmart.. the stuff they're clearing out is on a shelf in an odd location... Another one I saw yesterday red Kitchenaid Pro 5 stand mixers,,, $228 over by the bedding. None in the appliance section or even by that display of all the other Kitchenaid appliances.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4787 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:

Why does this happen?

Go to peopleofwalmart.com.

Then you'll see the correlation between these people and the demand for inexpensive junk food.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20736 posts
6768 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote:
That all depends.
I had a contract with Coke that forbade me to acquire stock elsewhere. But they gave me a fridge for free.
It depends on the volume really. I was quite low volume so at the end of the day I didn't mind.
I was paying something like $1.10 for a 2L.
The way I see it is that I probably won't sell 20000 units of soda because I wasn't a convenience store so at the end of the day it worked out for me because I didn't have to spend $2000 on a fridge.
Plus I wouldn't have to waste time and money tracking down supply at a retail store. Coke delivered.

But if you don't get freebies like a fridge, you can buy from anywhere you want.