Shopping Discussion

Why does EB Games open their games and sell as brand new?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2010 11:42 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy

Why does EB Games open their games and sell as brand new?

Im sorry if this issue has been butchered to death but I why do some (not all from the ones here in Calgary) EBs open their games and sell them as new? I just dont see the point in it. I know the reason is to prevent theft, but how exactly? It makes no difference if all the new sealed games are behind the counter or if the discs only are in DVD wallets in the cabinet behind the cash. As long as a worker is at the till at all times, it makes no difference.

If anything it just makes it more work for them to have to pull the discs out of each case, put them back in, look up the title each time, etc.

And to make things even worse they even are kind enough to put their industrial strength sticker on top to close it. Uhhh....
35 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3553 posts
84 upvotes
I don't know why, but I never accept opened games to be sold for full price to me. I ask if they have a factory sealed copy and if they don't, I go somewhere else.
RFD OT: Serious answers to stupid questions.
RFD Definition of 'troll': Someone whose opinion you don't like.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy
FrogPrince wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 1:38 pm
I don't know why, but I never accept opened games to be sold for full price to me. I ask if they have a factory sealed copy and if they don't, I go somewhere else.
Same here but thankfully the EB near my house dont open their games and sell them as is right out of the box.

Sometimes I will make an exception though if their price is crazy low.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7949 posts
1022 upvotes
Many horses have already been killed and repeatedly beaten on this topic.

But the main reason is not to prevent theft, store employees have a benefit where they're allowed to take new games home to play for a limited time for free and then they bring it back and return it to the store to be sold. According to official company policy these copies are supposed to be sold as used copies but most stores just re-seal them and sell them as new, and GameStop corporate HQ doesn't really do anything to enforce their policy.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
[OP]
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy
Winkle wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 1:47 pm
Many horses have already been killed and repeatedly beaten on this topic.

But the main reason is not to prevent theft, store employees have a benefit where they're allowed to take new games home to play for a limited time for free and then they bring it back and return it to the store to be sold. According to official company policy these copies are supposed to be sold as used copies but most stores just re-seal them and sell them as new, and GameStop corporate HQ doesn't really do anything to enforce their policy.
Ive heard that excuse and its nothing but a buncha BS, you honestly believe that? So to let their employees take games home to play and return, you need to open every single copy in the store? Cmon dude, dont be so gullable. If this was the case, they should just open a couple copies of each title.

And a lot of people buy new games as gifts - no one wants to give an opened one. So this will only hurt EBs sales.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2117 posts
1046 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Why would they even be allowed to take games home to play? How is that right. Ok so if I worked at Walmart I could take anything home, use it then bring it back to be sold at full price. This shouldn't be allowed.
:D
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1189 posts
80 upvotes
Beamsville
FuzzyWuzzy wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 1:34 pm
I know the reason is to prevent theft, but how exactly? It makes no difference if all the new sealed games are behind the counter or if the discs only are in DVD wallets in the cabinet behind the cash. As long as a worker is at the till at all times, it makes no difference.
You honestly believe that a clerk working the cash register is able to watch everyone in the store 100% of the time? They take the games out so people can't steal them when the clerk is swamped or distracted by customers. I use to work retail and the minute your back is turned, even briefly ,it's enough time to pocket some goodies.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7949 posts
1022 upvotes
FuzzyWuzzy wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 1:50 pm
Ive heard that excuse and its nothing but a buncha BS, you honestly believe that? So to let their employees take games home to play and return, you need to open every single copy in the store? Cmon dude, dont be so gullable. If this was the case, they should just open a couple copies of each title.

And a lot of people buy new games as gifts - no one wants to give an opened one. So this will only hurt EBs sales.
Err... this has been confirmed by numerous GameStop employees and managers in the States, the policy is also known to extend to Canadian GameStops (EB) as well.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Jun 19, 2010
242 posts
47 upvotes
When I was working there we weren't allowed to take games home to play with them, in fact, one of my co-workers got caught bringing home used DVDs to watch and was fired for it. As stated above, not every copy is opened, we had a set number to 'gut' so we could put the case on display. Usually 1-2 and the rest were kept sealed. You wouldn't be given the open ones unless they were the last copies.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
62 upvotes
Burlington
GC wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 2:07 pm
When I was working there we weren't allowed to take games home to play with them, in fact, one of my co-workers got caught bringing home used DVDs to watch and was fired for it. As stated above, not every copy is opened, we had a set number to 'gut' so we could put the case on display. Usually 1-2 and the rest were kept sealed. You wouldn't be given the open ones unless they were the last copies.
How many copies of games do you usually get? I keep hearing stories that to encourage future pre-orders stores will only get a few extra copies.

Personally I haven't bought anything from a boutique games retailer in years so I have no idea.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
i've only seen 1 gutted copy per game at my EB so everything else is always shrink wrap :D
have you seen boxing day? if you have any infos that can help us locate him, please contact us @ 1‒800‒867‒5309

(V)^,,,,^(V) woop woop woop woop woop
flashy_mcflash wrote:
Mar 19th, 2012 3:17 pm
haha. Though seriously, what a ridiculous year for CG to be trendy. If there was one year NOT to spend $600 on a coat, it was this winter.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7949 posts
1022 upvotes
FuzzyWuzzy wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 1:50 pm
Your average casual consumer (i.e. parents/grandparents etc. who are buying for their kids) won't know or can't tell the difference.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2403 posts
381 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
this is the reason why i only buy used games from them
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3553 posts
84 upvotes
Winkle wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 2:23 pm
Your average casual consumer (i.e. parents/grandparents etc. who are buying for their kids) won't know or can't tell the difference.
+1. Especially when they put that round sticker over the opening to make it look like its new.
RFD OT: Serious answers to stupid questions.
RFD Definition of 'troll': Someone whose opinion you don't like.
Jun 19, 2010
242 posts
47 upvotes
Anathem wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 2:12 pm
How many copies of games do you usually get? I keep hearing stories that to encourage future pre-orders stores will only get a few extra copies.

Personally I haven't bought anything from a boutique games retailer in years so I have no idea.
It varies depending on the game, some new releases I remember getting 40+ and other as little as 3-4.