Shopping Discussion

Why does EB Games open their games and sell as brand new?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2010 11:42 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11360 posts
1597 upvotes
Mississauga
moulamou wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 1:54 pm
Why would they even be allowed to take games home to play? How is that right. Ok so if I worked at Walmart I could take anything home, use it then bring it back to be sold at full price. This shouldn't be allowed.
It is so that the employees get "educated" on the games. They get asked all the time whether this game or that game is good or not and what they would recommend and you've gotta play them to know what you're talking about. When I worked at Rogers Video, we were allowed to watch the new release movies before they were officially released (and rent other movies for free) to further our movie education.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3130 posts
113 upvotes
Mississauga
Talamasca wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 4:19 pm
It is so that the employees get "educated" on the games. They get asked all the time whether this game or that game is good or not and what they would recommend and you've gotta play them to know what you're talking about. When I worked at Rogers Video, we were allowed to watch the new release movies before they were officially released (and rent other movies for free) to further our movie education.
Were you allowed to say this title sucks ass and you wouldn't recommend it? Wouldn't it hurt rentals/sales?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16483 posts
2603 upvotes
Toronto
woobie wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 2:00 pm
You honestly believe that a clerk working the cash register is able to watch everyone in the store 100% of the time? They take the games out so people can't steal them when the clerk is swamped or distracted by customers. I use to work retail and the minute your back is turned, even briefly ,it's enough time to pocket some goodies.
Ok so why doesn't walmart or toysrus or bestbuy or futureshop or even zellers have gutted copies to prevent this? Oh that's right because their smart enough to put their games behind a glass wall sorta speech
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7938 posts
1612 upvotes
Ive been in line at BBV when someone ran through the exit, setting off the alarm, carrying a bunch of games in those locked plastic cases they put them in, right in front of the staff and a number of customers

Still want to know why ebay doesnt leave games in the cases on display?

It would take them a lot more manpower to have to go unlock a case everytime someone wanted a game, and part of them being different then wm etc is you can pick them up and look at the back - lots and lots of people spending ages in there browsing
Apr 21, 2009
949 posts
109 upvotes
Winnipeg
Usually they gut copies to display the cover, depending on title/store that can be between 1-12 copies...
since that is a benefit for them to advertise the title, and the disk and manual are usually new, I ask the to deduct 10% of the price. Works usually and if not I go somewhere else...
I understand that they need to display titles. As well as to put the media aside so that it doesn't get stolen. technically it will be a new game, but I expect to get at least some price reduction since they got some advertising/increased sales out of that...
--- <3

:cry: Personally, I am just scared of Idiocracy turning from a funny movie into a prophecy. :confused:
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11360 posts
1597 upvotes
Mississauga
Blackmajik wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 7:51 pm
Were you allowed to say this title sucks ass and you wouldn't recommend it? Wouldn't it hurt rentals/sales?
Yeah, we could say what we wanted (always best to be diplomatic about it though). That's when you put your sales hat on and recommend them something else (the company doesn't care what you rent/buy, as long as you get something). If you and the customer have similar taste in movies, you form a nice relationship where they will then always come to you for recommendations.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 8:03 pm
Ok so why doesn't walmart or toysrus or bestbuy or futureshop or even zellers have gutted copies to prevent this? Oh that's right because their smart enough to put their games behind a glass wall sorta speech
EB Games realizes that sometimes you want to flip the game over and read the back (see if it's co-op, if it supports certain accessories, read what the game's about, etc). You can 'browse' for games at EB much more easily than at Zellers/Wal Mart. That's why you really only get games from those places when you know exactly what you want, or you're buying any old crappy game without even looking at it just to shut your children up for five goddamn minutes.
Aug 2, 2009
206 posts
18 upvotes
Mississauga
pompoco wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 10:44 pm
Usually they gut copies to display the cover, depending on title/store that can be between 1-12 copies...
since that is a benefit for them to advertise the title, and the disk and manual are usually new, I ask the to deduct 10% of the price. Works usually and if not I go somewhere else...
I understand that they need to display titles. As well as to put the media aside so that it doesn't get stolen. technically it will be a new game, but I expect to get at least some price reduction since they got some advertising/increased sales out of that...
Works all the time at the EB games I go to, especially if it's the last copy in the store. I ask for shop worn discount which his 10% and I've always been given that discount.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
1773 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
deal_with_singh wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 8:03 pm
Funny you should mention the glass. I worked at Zellers about 8 years ago and once a whole glass case was broken into and all 50+ game cube games were stolen. It was a 5-6 man operation with 2 of them distracting while 2 others took apart the case. They then went around the store and hid the games only to return a short time later to collect them all.

After that we only kept 1-2 games in the glass cases, the rest were in lockup.

The store shut down a few years later. :D
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42407 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
flashy_mcflash wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 1:22 pm
EB Games realizes that sometimes you want to flip the game over and read the back (see if it's co-op, if it supports certain accessories, read what the game's about, etc). You can 'browse' for games at EB much more easily than at Zellers/Wal Mart. That's why you really only get games from those places when you know exactly what you want, or you're buying any old crappy game without even looking at it just to shut your children up for five goddamn minutes.
They could easily ask the manufacturers/developers to send over a few extra artwork covers and put them in generic DVD cases...
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31073 posts
2674 upvotes
Winnipeg
the_fm wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 2:19 pm
i've only seen 1 gutted copy per game at my EB so everything else is always shrink wrap :D
I don't get it, why open new game at all? They can just display it in its shrink wrapped form...as for displaying the back, they can display 2 copies side-by-side with 1 flipped to display the back side.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7938 posts
1612 upvotes
divx wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 2:37 pm
I don't get it, why open new game at all? They can just display it in its shrink wrapped form...as for displaying the back, they can display 2 copies side-by-side with 1 flipped to display the back side.
Have you read a single post on this thread? :confused:

Its to stop theft. The way eb does it shoplifting is pretty much zero, while catering to a demographic that is many times more likely inclined to do that type of thing.

Of course at eb there is the element that customers are bringing their own games into the store too, which would provide even great opportunity to pocket some of theirs if they wee accessible

Its funny singh is here complaining about this being I believe hes been suspended from this site for posting about scamming stores..
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31073 posts
2674 upvotes
Winnipeg
zoro69 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 2:47 pm
Have you read a single post on this thread? :confused:

Its to stop theft. The way eb does it shoplifting is pretty much zero, while catering to a demographic that is many times more likely inclined to do that type of thing.

Of course at eb there is the element that customers are bringing their own games into the store too, which would provide even great opportunity to pocket some of theirs if they wee accessible

Its funny singh is here complaining about this being I believe hes been suspended from this site for posting about scamming stores..
I don't usually goto eb but I've been to microplay a lot, they have new games shrink wrapped on the wall behind the employee counter, seems to work well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 1:57 pm
They could easily ask the manufacturers/developers to send over a few extra artwork covers and put them in generic DVD cases...
Sure, I guess. But I think Zellers/Wal Mart know their target markets enough that their customers typically know what they're after when they're in there, or buy games based on what they can see in the cases.

I actually prefer the EB Games way because, as mentioned above, it's pretty easy to get 10% off a game that's been opened. On a $70 game, that's not an insignificant discount for a game that's pretty much new.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8093 posts
1538 upvotes
Toronto
Why can't EB games do the same as Futureshop / Best Buy. They have small cardboard printouts of the game that you bring to the front. Is it really that hard?

Also EB currently has the capability to print fake covers for upcoming releases. You see them all the time when you first walk into an EB. Why can't they use the same or similar fake covers as placeholders for games they have in stock?

What annoys me the most is how some employees give you an incredulous look of disbelief when you tell them you'd rather buy a factory sealed copy elsewhere, rather than accept their gutted copy.