Shopping Discussion

Why does EB Games open their games and sell as brand new?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2010 11:42 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
Because their model works for them and has done so for years. It's not like people are boycotting EB in droves for this.

What's the big deal? If you want a factory sealed copy, go elsewhere and pay full price. If you don't care too much about the plastic you're going to remove anyway, go to EB and get 10% off. The world is yours, cab'ron.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42407 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
flashy_mcflash wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 3:21 pm
Sure, I guess. But I think Zellers/Wal Mart know their target markets enough that their customers typically know what they're after when they're in there, or buy games based on what they can see in the cases.

I actually prefer the EB Games way because, as mentioned above, it's pretty easy to get 10% off a game that's been opened. On a $70 game, that's not an insignificant discount for a game that's pretty much new.
Why would you accept 10% off an opened game when they usually markup their games $5-10 to begin with?
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
[OP]
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy
zoro69 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 9:29 pm
Ive been in line at BBV when someone ran through the exit, setting off the alarm, carrying a bunch of games in those locked plastic cases they put them in, right in front of the staff and a number of customers

Still want to know why ebay doesnt leave games in the cases on display?

It would take them a lot more manpower to have to go unlock a case everytime someone wanted a game, and part of them being different then wm etc is you can pick them up and look at the back - lots and lots of people spending ages in there browsing
The hard plastic cases dont make any difference. Even at my local blockbuster they get professional thieves coming in every week to steal. Prof thieves can crack the cases off with ease and little to no noise. The plastic cases arent as difficult as many think to crack open.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7263 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Anathem wrote:
Jul 5th, 2010 2:12 pm
How many copies of games do you usually get? I keep hearing stories that to encourage future pre-orders stores will only get a few extra copies.

Personally I haven't bought anything from a boutique games retailer in years so I have no idea.
it entirely depends on the game title. In my past experiences, when it came to titles such as Gears of War and Halo, stores could expect upwards of 50+, but titles not as popular or as much hype surrounding them could expect anything up to 20, I remember some stores carrying only 15 copies of transformers war for cybertron recently.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 5:55 pm
Why would you accept 10% off an opened game when they usually markup their games $5-10 to begin with?
I don't buy the games that are marked up, I guess. Obviously if the game is cheaper elsewhere, I'll buy it elsewhere.