Why does kijiji suck now?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 3:38 am
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6364 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
I find that it has always been terrible. You find lowballers and flops on it all the time. I prefer to sell via facebook groups and forums where they have a feedback system or some credibility.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18181 posts
14183 upvotes
Toronto
I had someone come see an item i had posted for $75 OBO this weekend, new it was $170 + tax.

Before coming he is already haggling on price saying he has to drive from Mississauga (not my problem, my exact location is posted in the ad).

I tell him $60 is my bottom line.

He keeps trying for $50 and I flatly say no.

He then drives all the way form Sauga with his family of 5 driving a $60K minivan.....and doesn't buy the item, claiming "i have seen similar ones for $30".

My reply was "then you should buy those".

My item was described accurately with actual photos, so it's not like there was a surprise with it's condition
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
897 posts
470 upvotes
Swerny wrote: I had someone come see an item i had posted for $75 OBO this weekend, new it was $170 + tax.

Before coming he is already haggling on price saying he has to drive from Mississauga (not my problem, my exact location is posted in the ad).

I tell him $60 is my bottom line.

He keeps trying for $50 and I flatly say no.

He then drives all the way form Sauga with his family of 5 driving a $60K minivan.....and doesn't buy the item, claiming "i have seen similar ones for $30".

My reply was "then you should buy those".

My item was described accurately with actual photos, so it's not like there was a surprise with it's condition
Well in this case I would say you're both silly.

Would $10 make a difference in your life? If he was set on $50, and this guy was willing to come out to you for $50 why not let it go for $50? You now have to waste your time and find another buying to get $60 for it?

Your logic is just as bad as his. Also, while you're right - your location is posted - sometimes being flexible on price because of location will help get rid of it....

So as far as I' concerned, you're no better than him in this case, you're both time wasters...

anyway you didn't say what the item is... but sometimes if it's hard to get bites, it's better to offload and get the cash, then keep the trash cluttering your house.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
Would $10 make a difference? Maybe not. But the buyer was awfully presumptuous to make the journey expecting to squeeze another sawbuck out of the seller.

And as for the comment about this item being available for $30 elsewhere? That’s just douchebaggering at its finest.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1197 posts
671 upvotes
Kijiji is bad because it is dominated by professional sellers. Completely defeats the spirit of person to person dealing.

I both buy and sell on Kijiji.

When I sell, I go to Ebay and I look at my item and I set a realistic expectation for myself. I don't want to give away valuable stuff for free. But I don't believe I should make every last penny. Ebay is an international marketplace with millions of users and not the local market. People on Kijiji think like this...first they look at the highest price out there. Then they assess their item as "mint condition" even when it's not. Then they look at the shipping and think "well they are willing to pay for shipping, so I will just tack that on to the dollar price". Then they think it's in US dollars so shoot up your price another 30%, though they paid Canadian dollars for their stuff.

Just so greedy.

Not to mention the endless number of stores. Some stores even advertising in the general listings and not buying ads. Just flooding and reflooding their items. When I list something for sale, it's on page 10 after a few days. Nobody can see it. I have posted some good deals on all sorts of things. It's a mess unless they can figure out a way to get the stores away.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
Shoppersbeermart wrote: Kijiji is bad because it is dominated by professional sellers. Completely defeats the spirit of person to person dealing.
Kijiji is a business, and they exist to make money. The brutal reality is that professional sellers are the ones paying for upgrades and keeping the lights on. The rest of us listing our trinkets are riding the coat tails of the people actually paying the bills.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1197 posts
671 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: Kijiji is a business, and they exist to make money. The brutal reality is that professional sellers are the ones paying for upgrades and keeping the lights on. The rest of us listing our trinkets are riding the coat tails of the people actually paying the bills.
But that's the thing..they aren't paying the bills. They aren't using paid ads. They flood the general section.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
Shoppersbeermart wrote: But that's the thing..they aren't paying the bills. They aren't using paid ads. They flood the general section.
They can post regular ads, and upgrades as well. Sure, some are gaming the system, but enough of them do pay to make it worthwhile to pander to them.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2721 posts
705 upvotes
I've also noticed some cheap/fake stuff lately on kijiji. Been searching for a while now for some good quality jewelry, figured I would try kijiji. It was a terrible experience.

Dude was selling plated garbage, trying to pass it off as the real deal. SMH. Too many scammers on kijiji. Would they care if I reported these sellers?
Aug 5, 2005
492 posts
245 upvotes
IMO ... Anything valuable I don't think I would ever buy from Kijiji, jewelry would be on the list. Just to save a few dollars I would rather buy valuable items from a reputable distribution.
Ex... Like buying a smartphone from any company that is located in china just to save a few dollars I would rather but either in Canada or if I really want it in the States
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Jun 18, 2008
510 posts
270 upvotes
Calgary
Well, considering the user base I'm not sure it's for the better.
I just had interaction with the wannabe buyer, and got asked to rate them afterwards. Unfortunately, there was no -1 star to give. I'm scared to think what the guy would say about me.
Jan 22, 2017
661 posts
1696 upvotes
Smokem wrote: Just saw that now kijiji is starting to incorporate user reviews.

https://help.kijiji.ca/helpdesk/basics/user-reviews
This is a terrible idea. It just gives lowballers, tire kickers and no shows a way to vent their idiocy since it's from each party in the transaction.
It's just the nature of business doesn't matter whether it's at a garage sale, kijiji, flea market. People can complain about it here but honestly it's pointless.
Feb 5, 2007
424 posts
353 upvotes
Glad people here agree with me. While this helps with the true scammers, there are unreasonable and stupid people out there who expect everything for nothing.

From now on, I guess I'll have to limit my smartass remarks to potential buyers within those seven messages haha. I've screenshot and shared some past exchanges and they are pure gold.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9300 posts
10314 upvotes
To ensure the integrity of the review system, users are not able to edit or remove reviews on their own profile or someone else’s. Kijiji will also not mediate review-related disputes. Please read our Review Policies page before leaving a review.
Screw this.

I'm creating a new account every time I need to sell something there with a temporary email. I will not let morons smear me.
Jan 22, 2017
661 posts
1696 upvotes
danron1376 wrote: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfound ... -1.5346877

be careful. if you respond to lowballers in a rude manner you might be dinged with a fine lol
In 2011 the potential buyer offered $5500 for a 2006 Toyota Corolla.
I guess it's as if it's like he offered $5500 for a 2014 Corolla now and carfax estimates $7-9K
Low baller scum can come from any country but if it's not this one you're liable to pay Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1857 posts
434 upvotes
Buyer: "Hey how low are you willing to go?"

Me: "How high are you willing to go?"

Buyer: "You're never going to sell it at that price."

Me: "Cool"

Buyer: "#@&* you"

Me: "Cool thanks"
Jun 26, 2019
348 posts
839 upvotes
Been trying to setup a home gym and this is my experience.

Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1197 posts
671 upvotes
There are 2 types of people that use Kijiji:

Buyers: who want to buy something for nothing.

And

Sellers: who want to sell nothing for something.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)