Cell Phones

Why does my cellphone keep saying "Insert SIM"?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2011 11:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 27, 2004
807 posts
Ottawa

Why does my cellphone keep saying "Insert SIM"?

Right now I have the Samsung SGH-X496. It's worked fine for a few years; recently, though, about once a day it'll say "insert SIM". However, when I turn it off and back again, it reads the SIM card. I don't think it's a problem with the SIM card shifting out of place; I've tried taping it in place, and occasionally it'll stop reading the card even when it's sitting on my bed.

Is it likely a problem with my phone or my SIM card? Is it fixable? If so, how much would it likely cost?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
3809 posts
430 upvotes
Borrow a friends SIM card and see if it does the same thing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
bigshotceo wrote:
Feb 15th, 2011 11:54 am
Right now I have the Samsung SGH-X496. It's worked fine for a few years; recently, though, about once a day it'll say "insert SIM". However, when I turn it off and back again, it reads the SIM card. I don't think it's a problem with the SIM card shifting out of place; I've tried taping it in place, and occasionally it'll stop reading the card even when it's sitting on my bed.

Is it likely a problem with my phone or my SIM card? Is it fixable? If so, how much would it likely cost?

call rogers, and likely they'll give you a new sim card.
it might be a phone problem, but that's a start.
if the problem persists, if it turns out to be a phone problem, i don't think it will be worth it to fix it.
basic phones can be had brand new for $50-$60.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
My old nokia phone did the same. The phone's SIM slot was defective though since the SIM worked fine in all other phones. If your SIM works fine in another phone, it is just the SIM slot in your phone is dying.
× < >