• Jul 8th, 2011 10:49 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 28, 2008
22 posts
3 upvotes

Why does my HD LED picture go dim (like its night time) for no reason

I have a brand new LG hd led TV. I have noticed that the picture goes from bright to dim occassionally .
This usually happens as it is getting dark outside.
Is my TV defective or does it have something to do with the light in the room.
Thanks
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2640 upvotes
Vancouver
Maybe you have auto-contrast turned on, which raises and lowers the backlight level depending on the scene content (e.g., when the scene is mostly dark, it turns the backlight down to make it look darker).
Jan 3, 2009
829 posts
67 upvotes
Vancouver
There's also an Auto-Brightness feature too that lowers the brightness level when the ambient lighting is getting darker. Check the on-screen menu for any setting like that. My Bravia has that feature.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1429 upvotes
Pickering
+1

I have a 46 inch TV in such a small room that when the picture is bright, the reflections off the wall trigger it's own auto dim. I shut it off and all is ok.
Jan 3, 2009
829 posts
67 upvotes
Vancouver
AudiDude wrote:
Jul 8th, 2011 9:35 pm
when the picture is bright, the reflections off the wall trigger it's own auto dim
Lol, that's pretty funny. :)
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11333 posts
2043 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like the intelligent sensor feature is on. On my LG plasma, the tv dims after about 15 seconds. I guess that is how long it takes for the screen to be fully warmed up and to sample room light and make the necessary adjustment. It actually functions quite well. I do use it.
× < >