Why doesn’t Dominos sell pizza slices?

Why doesn’t Dominos sell pizza slices?
25 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15584 posts
3388 upvotes
Toronto
They sell personal pizzas which is way better than cold slices sitting out all day.
May 21, 2015
568 posts
258 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
It's a business decision.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15584 posts
3388 upvotes
Toronto
Smart to sell pizza fresh
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13391 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
A dominos franchise owner once told me that they don't get how pizza places make money on slices.
"All that fancy display just to have to throw more than half the pizza in the garbage when only a slice or two sell...everything is made fresh here, only as needed. No waste."
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3397 posts
1087 upvotes
Mississauga
When I used to work at Bay and Adelaide, I’d sometimes hit the Pizzaiolo a few blocks over on Yonge for lunch and I’d say probably 95% of the orders were slices. But these weren’t the crappy pepperoni or cheese ones, there were 15-20 different pizzas either standard, gourmet, vegetarian, etc. They seemed to so alright business selling slices.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3949 posts
583 upvotes
mrweather wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 5:23 pm
When I used to work at Bay and Adelaide, I’d sometimes hit the Pizzaiolo a few blocks over on Yonge for lunch and I’d say probably 95% of the orders were slices. They seemed to so alright business selling slices.
It's not a question of whether or not individual slices would sell at Domino's. It's about the (slightly) different business models between Domino's and other pizza places.

Slices sit out and get dry after like 15-20 minutes. Reheated slices don't taste as good as fresh slices/pizza. Unsold slices get thrown into the trash and is lost money.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20071 posts
1743 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 5:23 pm
When I used to work at Bay and Adelaide, I’d sometimes hit the Pizzaiolo a few blocks over on Yonge for lunch and I’d say probably 95% of the orders were slices. But these weren’t the crappy pepperoni or cheese ones, there were 15-20 different pizzas either standard, gourmet, vegetarian, etc. They seemed to so alright business selling slices.
I work near there and the Pizzaiolo slices are ok - but I find the dough too airy for my liking. I actually prefer Domino's classic dough - a bit denser and chewier......my fave fast food pizza is probably Dominos so I'm a bit biased.

Pizzaiolo slices work in a pinch - I still fondly remember the Papa Ceo pizza slices when going to UofT St. George campus - those pizza slices sat out all day but they were still good!!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3397 posts
1087 upvotes
Mississauga
Maybe it’s an anomaly but the Dominos near me that I’ve ordered from in the past is smack dab in the middle of a residential area in a tiny three store plaza. I imagine it gets very little foot traffic which is what you need to make any money off selling slices.
Nov 6, 2018
18 posts
3 upvotes
New York
I am registered on Quora and one of the Dominos manager wrote that they tried to sell pizza by the slice but during the experiment they sold about 1 pizza this way. They won't sell smth that nobody buys.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15584 posts
3388 upvotes
Toronto
I think selling whole pizzas is much smarter than selling cold/hard slices look at Pizza Pizza, slices sitting out all day. YUCK.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13391 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 3:30 pm
I think selling whole pizzas is much smarter than selling cold/hard slices look at Pizza Pizza, slices sitting out all day. YUCK.
The scary thing is, Pizza Pizza has slices available for as high as $6.99 each!! Who pays that? I sure wouldn't!!
Sucker born every minute, I guess... ($6.99 is for their most expensive specialty slice)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5297 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
I've seen a few DT that would have "ok" foot traffic, eg Front and Bathurst. However, most locations seem as mentioned before, in a small commercial area around a large residential area. Most locations seem to be setup as a hub for drivers to make efficient deliveries for the area.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15584 posts
3388 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 3:49 pm
The scary thing is, Pizza Pizza has slices available for as high as $6.99 each!! Who pays that? I sure wouldn't!!
Sucker born every minute, I guess... ($6.99 is for their most expensive specialty slice)
$6.99? Which slice is this?