Cell Phones

Why doesn’t public mobile have any customer service??

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 8:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1200 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
cal653 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:05 pm
You are what as known as a high maintenance customer. Nothing wrong with that but you need to go with Telus, Bell, or Rogers.

They are first tier brands and will provide the support and hand-holding you seem to need.

Expect to pay for it but that is better than other customers supporting your needs and increasing the costs to everyone.
So having speak to a rep once every 4 months because their system isn’t working properly is considered high maintenance ? Wow
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3058 posts
1849 upvotes
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:27 pm
So having speak to a rep once every 4 months because their system isn’t working properly is considered high maintenance ? Wow
Yes. Public Mobile is designed for customers who are tech savvy and capable of finding solutions on their own. Public Mobile moderators are available on their forums and typically respond within a day or two.

If you can't figure it out, or get frustrated when you can't get it to work, PM is not for you.

I pay $35 per month after my discounts and get 4GB data. I've had to contact a mod one time during the initial setup in 2016.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14986 posts
2718 upvotes
Toronto
One of the problems back in 2016 was that their online system was half-borked at times. Not sure how their system is now.
Apr 14, 2006
309 posts
161 upvotes
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:27 pm

Telus/ PM is pretty reliable I doubt you need to call as often as you do.

I have multiple lines with multiple providers. After the initial set up phase I usually do not call them for years.

Learn to update your stuff online or pay for it and go with first tier providers.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3058 posts
1849 upvotes
It sounds like you never purchased the new plan...

If you attempt to purchase a plan or add-on while there's no funds in your account, it will take you to load money into your PM account.

Once that's done, it doesn't automatically purchase the add-on or plan that you selected.. it only loads the money into your PM account. Then, you can purchase the plan by going thru the steps a second time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1200 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:22 pm
It sounds like you never purchased the new plan...

If you attempt to purchase a plan or add-on while there's no funds in your account, it will take you to load money into your PM account.

Once that's done, it doesn't automatically purchase the add-on or plan that you selected.. it only loads the money into your PM account. Then, you can purchase the plan by going thru the steps a second time.
I did not do an add on, I went thru all the steps picking a new plan then it asked if I want to have it done now or on renewal I chose now and it took a payment from my card right away for the new plan . Anyway issue was resolved but it was definitely their system error
May 17, 2008
108 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
I love PM. Less than $40 per month for 4gb LTE+ data and unlimited voice is still a bargain.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1200 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
MSZsama wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 4:18 pm
I love PM. Less than $40 per month for 4gb LTE+ data and unlimited voice is still a bargain.
And I’m paying 58$ for 3gb Lte data I guess I missed these deals. I changed over to 6gb of 3G data I’m praying it’s not slower than molasses lol
May 8, 2009
5538 posts
1966 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
+1 @will888 srsly for prepaid, pick your rate plan, lock and load, and you get exactly what you pay for.

+1 @danieltoronto and I will add (as recently discovered) if you run out of juice with carrier, not only is there wifi at home/work/everywhere else, but if you're out of airtime and public or corporate wifi blocks VoIP, use a VPN. So far I've tried Opera VPN (it's free) and works like a charm. That means with wifi, you can access the internet and make phone calls from nearly anywhere.

Also worthy of mention. OP could get a dual sim phone (you're on prepaid, so you buy your phones outright anyway). Don't know where to start? Since your voice line is on Public (meaning you can't drop to 2G), keep your eyes on dual-sim phones with Snapdragon processors from 2016 onwards and make sure voice line (non-data line) only drops to 3G. Cookie-cutter "can't go wrong" phone would be the OnePlus 5T. Willing to lose the warranty in exchange for lower price tag? LG V20 is going for cheap on Amazon. Then watch for hot deals and grab the Fido 3GB for $15 data plan. That way, when your PM data runs low, switch data to the Fido sim and keep on rolling. This is much cheaper than bumping up your 30 day or 90 day PM deal early. Granted, on the PM 90 day deal on a rainy day you can use more data, then discipline yourself to use less the following month and not deplete your data allowance too soon, but if those rainy days become too frequent, then definitely grab the Fido 3GB plan.

I'll admit that I'm relatively new to the dual-sim world myself, but it's given me access to far more data than I'll ever use. Dual-sim veterans @will888 and @danieltoronto are free to comment in case I'm missing any details.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread