Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto

Why Doesn't RFD Allow Auctions?

As per RFD rules, bidding is not allowed. Not that I have a problem with it, but why?
35 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
3806 posts
23 upvotes
Chaos

We have enough problems with Thread Crapping and Scammers - the last thing we need is pouring gasoline on a campfire.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
RFD is a money saving site (not money making as a small number seem to think)...Bidding ups the price which defeats the purpose.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
rems wrote: RFD is a money saving site (not money making as a small number seem to think)...Bidding ups the price which defeats the purpose.
But savings can often be had in auctions. That's why people use eBay right? :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2001
8460 posts
1456 upvotes
Toronto
eBay and other auction sites run the auctions in public, so you know who has bid, what the current bid is, etc.

It doesn't work very well on a forum. There's no way to know what the actual bids have been (or if they are even real), so there's no way to run a safe and fair auction.

At the very least it would be very messy.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote: But savings can often be had in auctions. That's why people use eBay right? :confused:
Savings can also be had from robbing people. Doesn`t mean it`s the best way. Bidding wars can cause a lot of problems...especially since there`s no structure for it on RFD like there is on eBay.
RFD can`t force you to buy the item you bid on. There`s already people who`ve complained from a buyer/seller backing out of a transaction when the price was posted and agreed on. How do you update the bid live? How do you enforce the end date and time of an auction?
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
Ryan wrote: eBay and other auction sites run the auctions in public, so you know who has bid, what the current bid is, etc.

It doesn't work very well on a forum. There's no way to know what the actual bids have been (or if they are even real), so there's no way to run a safe and fair auction.

At the very least it would be very messy.
I understand that the default configuration of forums are not suitable for auctions, but what about mods/hacks for vBulletin that has a systematic approach to bidding?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2001
8460 posts
1456 upvotes
Toronto
Aznsilvrboy wrote: I understand that the default configuration of forums are not suitable for auctions, but what about mods/hacks for vBulletin that has a systematic approach to bidding?
If we were going to allow auctions, it would have to be through a system like that that was more structured.

But, at the moment, there are no plans to.
Banned
Jan 4, 2010
1584 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
rems wrote: Savings can also be had from robbing people. Doesn`t mean it`s the best way. Bidding wars can cause a lot of problems...especially since there`s no structure for it on RFD like there is on eBay.
RFD can`t force you to buy the item you bid on. There`s already people who`ve complained from a buyer/seller backing out of a transaction when the price was posted and agreed on. How do you update the bid live? How do you enforce the end date and time of an auction?
Agreed. I prefer if there were no auctions. For those who do like auctions, there is always ebay.
enon
Banned
Dec 27, 2009
169 posts
You can do auctions. Just put your "buy now money value" then put "or best offer". There.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2001
8460 posts
1456 upvotes
Toronto
SanjayKumar wrote: You can do auctions. Just put your "buy now money value" then put "or best offer". There.
Yup and if you get caught, you'll get banned.
Banned
Dec 27, 2009
169 posts
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10713 upvotes
Hamilton
Wait what? It's bannable if you post the PRICE / OBO?
Banned
Dec 27, 2009
169 posts
yao416 wrote: Wait what? It's bannable if you post the PRICE / OBO?
apparently your not allowed to do auctions. whereas you can only state a price and not accept best offers.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
SanjayKumar wrote: apparently your not allowed to do auctions. whereas you can only state a price and not accept best offers.
who the hell offers MORE than the stated price??
Banned
Dec 27, 2009
169 posts
rems wrote: who the hell offers MORE than the stated price??
actually I was selling a memory stick for $20 then one person wanted to buy it .... then this other guy was like I will offer $5 more so I sold it to him. That's what best offer gives you.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
SanjayKumar wrote: actually I was selling a memory stick for $20 then one person wanted to buy it .... then this other guy was like I will offer $5 more so I sold it to him. That's what best offer gives you.
but did he know that you had another buyer lined up?
when people put OBO, that usually means the price is negotiable (for less)
Banned
Dec 27, 2009
169 posts
rems wrote: but did he know that you had another buyer lined up?
when people put OBO, that usually means the price is negotiable (for less)
Yes... I told him someone else wants to buy $20... and he said he would offer 5$ more. OBO can mean both ways. Not necessarily lower offer. "BEST" :!:
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
SanjayKumar wrote: Yes... I told him someone else wants to buy $20... and he said he would offer 5$ more. OBO can mean both ways. Not necessarily lower offer. "BEST" :!:
Did the guy who offered $20 say he would take it or were u still negotiating?