• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2019 12:33 am
Tags:
Banned
Aug 30, 2019
39 posts
28 upvotes

Why don't CEOs work part-time?

Rather than work 40 hours a week and make 20 million dollars, they should work 10 hours a week and make 5 million dollars per year. 5 mil is still plenty enough, it is like winning the lottery every year. you already have all the money you need in the world, time is more important when you are at that level, why don't CEOs get it and cut down their hours?
1 00 3001
19 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
What you looking at is only Salary.
Being a CEO of a company, there are tons of responsibilities everyday and it is impossible to work only few hours a day and chill for the rest. It is rather you do it properly or step down and let someone else do it.
Do you really think a successful CEO work only 40 hours a week? Way more!

Another example, surgeon makes a lot of money too, do you think they can pick and choose and tell the hospital management that he/she only want to do 2 surgeries in a week and want to chill for other days since they making good enough money anyway?
No, there are patients lining up. If you don't want to work, go home, they will hire another one that can handle the traffic and take care of their patients.

it is not a job in a restaurant that you can pick and chose your shift and rather you can ask to work 40hours a week or 20.

OP, you must be very young or just never have a real job to have a question like this.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Banned
Aug 30, 2019
39 posts
28 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: What you looking at is only Salary.
Being a CEO of a company, there are tons of responsibilities everyday and it is impossible to work only few hours a day and chill for the rest. It is rather you do it properly or step down and let someone else do it.
Do you really think a successful CEO work only 40 hours a week? Way more!

Another example, surgeon makes a lot of money too, do you think they can pick and choose and tell the hospital management that he/she only want to do 2 surgeries in a week and want to chill for other days since they making good enough money anyway?
No, there are patients lining up. If you don't want to work, go home, they will hire another one that can handle the traffic and take care of their patients.

it is not a job in a restaurant that you can pick and chose your shift and rather you can ask to work 40hours a week or 20.

OP, you must be very young or just never have a real job to have a question like this.
How condescending, ignorant and wrong of you to assume that, looks like you will never be a CEO with that brain of yours.

back on topic:

time is more valuable that money, according to the NYT
1 00 3001
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
2144 posts
2604 upvotes
Toronto
Latest wrote: How condescending, ignorant and wrong of you to assume that, looks like you will never be a CEO with that brain of yours.

back on topic:

I’m curious what company can let their ceo work 10 hours for $5 mill, in fact what company for any c suite can work 10 hours?

All Fortune 500 ceos making that much from all the places I worked puts in more than 40, plus travel across the globe...
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12577 upvotes
Markham
I think if CEO can earn 5 millions by working 10 hours a week, a lot of will do so. But more likely they have to work 100 hours to earn 5 millions
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
Latest wrote: How condescending, ignorant and wrong of you to assume that, looks like you will never be a CEO with that brain of yours.

back on topic:

And you think with a brain of yours, you will be a CEO or even successful of whatever you do? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Free time is more valuable than money. Somehow true, depending your stage.
If one believe he/she is wealthy enough to support their rest of their life without working, then don't work at all!
Go to retirement, a lot of CEO or executives take their retirement at 50s. They will then entitle to all their free time without having stress about work.

But no one will slack off and only work half and earn half.
To be in that position of a company or in a society, you are responsible of what you do, and that's work like you purpose to and not only talking about your personal earning.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2415 posts
1190 upvotes
Vancouver
Ceo just sit worklesslySmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
As someone who has climbed from being an individual contributor to a member of the senior leadership team, I will tell you that as I climbed the number of hours I have put into to my work has grown accordingly.

The same can be said of every single person that I have worked with who has also climbed the ranks to the executive team. I don't know any of us who even bother taking more than a week of vacation in a year given the time demands placed on us given our workload.

When I was young and living in NYC, I used to think of how awesome those limos were in Manhattan waiting for their executives and sometimes would dream (I was poor) of being one of them one day. While I never did end up growing up in NYC, what I didn't know at the time was that those folks don't sit in traffic and are driven because of the cost of their time. It's also why the world of private aviation exists.

The #1 thing a senior leader wants more of but can't get more of is time. The Boards recognize that as well which is why seemingly lavish things to the general population (like a driver, private aviation and such) is often granted to senior leaders. It's cheaper to keep them working.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
I never heard of a CEO that gets paid by the hour and nets around $10k/h.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
The real question is that the shareholders would not like it. Simple as that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2221 upvotes
With an attitude like that you'll never be a CEO ... 24-7 365 baby non-stop.
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
My VP start his day looking at all his emails while blushing his teeth, eat breakfast, and listening to voice mail while driving to work. Then email during the day and meeting all day. He doesn't stop until he goes to bed. I doubt the CEO has less responsibility than a VP.

OP obviously has no idea :)
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10248 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: My VP start his day looking at all his emails while blushing his teeth, eat breakfast, and listening to voice mail while driving to work. Then email during the day and meeting all day. He doesn't stop until he goes to bed. I doubt the CEO has less responsibility than a VP.

OP obviously has no idea :)
Doesn't your VP have an assistant to do all that mundane time wasters (emails, voice mails, screen meetings, prepare briefings) for him/her?

Seems terrible waste of time. Or is the vp one of those title inflated ones like at the big telcos or banks? Lol
Banned
Sep 12, 2019
15 posts
2 upvotes
Tim Farris wrote that it is possible. Not sure, never been CEO
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
danned wrote: Ceo just sit worklesslySmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With Sunglasses
No, investors and venture capitalists just sit back. CEO answers to investors...
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
As others have said, being a CEO means answering to your shareholders (whether public or private) unless you're the sole owner of the company, That means that you'll be responsible/accountable to the shareholders about the company's progress, performance and future growth.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
1354 posts
1022 upvotes
Guelph, ON
StatsGuy wrote: Doesn't your VP have an assistant to do all that mundane time wasters (emails, voice mails, screen meetings, prepare briefings) for him/her?

Seems terrible waste of time. Or is the vp one of those title inflated ones like at the big telcos or banks? Lol
Let's assume he is paying attention to emails, voice mails, etc., that were already screened by his assistant.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)