• Mar 26th, 2018 6:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16276 posts
1393 upvotes
Space for rent

Why don't family doctors wear masks?

It donned on me that family doctors do not wear face masks when treating their patients. I asked my own family doctor that question once and he confidently told me he can tell since he knows his patients well enough to know. I find that foolishly arrogant and even reckless as most contageons have a long incubation period and if he caught something from one of his patients he can pass it on to you unknowingly and pass it. I think the idea of wearing masks out in public has just made so much more sense now.

What do you think? Overly paranoid or wise and prudent?
Last edited by Supercooled on Mar 12th, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8669 posts
1909 upvotes
Trump University
Or these Hazmat suits, you never know, there was that SARS thing :D

RFD Meanie 😎
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16276 posts
1393 upvotes
Space for rent
Corleone187 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 12:54 pm
Or these Hazmat suits, you never know, there was that SARS thing :D

Why are you mocking bro? It's a serious concern. Health Canada should mandate people to wear masks while waiting. All these sickies coughing and not covering their mouths.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1755 posts
555 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 12:50 pm
What do you think? Overly paranoid or wise and prudent?
Yeah, but then the doctors would argue that it costs money for the disposable masks, so they just wear one that they keep cleaning. Then you're back to square one, when they don't clean it.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16276 posts
1393 upvotes
Space for rent
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 12:59 pm
Yeah, but then the doctors would argue that it costs money for the disposable masks, so they just wear one that they keep cleaning. Then you're back to square one, when they don't clean it.

A doctor gets paid $30 per patients. I'm not saying they are well compensated or they are not because I'm not smart enough to argue the minutia of the topic but it seems to me as individuals were forced to make this decision. Wearing a mask in public whether it's at a doctors office or crowded place during flu season just made more sense.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2357 posts
978 upvotes
Burlington
Anytime I see someone wearing a mask out in public I immediately think they're a lunatic. That's what your immune system is for.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16276 posts
1393 upvotes
Space for rent
Dpack22 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 1:11 pm
Anytime I see someone wearing a mask out in public I immediately think they're a lunatic. That's what your immune system is for.
Ok bro. I'm all for toughening the system and letting children play in mid and stuff but there's a fine line between being smart and being a fool.

It stands a reason you want to be protected in a environment where it's teeming with viruses like a waiting room.
Jul 12, 2016
330 posts
179 upvotes
In Japan people wear masks all the time. Nobody thinks twice about it. Are the effective? Debatable. Are the better than nothing? Yup. Do you think that the family doctor's mask will protect you in an environment where it's teeming with viruses like a waiting room? Our hospital system does provide masks and asks (but not require) patients with influenza to wear face masks and actually requires staff who have not had the seasonal flu vaccine to wear a face mask when in patient care areas.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16276 posts
1393 upvotes
Space for rent
OliviaAlgoz wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 2:05 pm
In Japan people wear masks all the time. Nobody thinks twice about it. Are the effective? Debatable. Are the better than nothing? Yup. Do you think that the family doctor's mask will protect you in an environment where it's teeming with viruses like a waiting room? Our hospital system does provide masks and asks (but not require) patients with influenza to wear face masks and actually requires staff who have not had the seasonal flu vaccine to wear a face mask when in patient care areas.
I was under the impression that all medical professionals need to be vaccinated?

Even sneezing in your sleeve is debatable as to its efficacy right?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15406 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
Not only that. Ask yourself why nurses wear their scrubs out in public when they've been around patients all day who they know have communicable diseases. I don't need to have someone's ebola cough transported right from their bedside in the hospital to my local food court, thanks.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16276 posts
1393 upvotes
Space for rent
Piro21 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 2:42 pm
Not only that. Ask yourself why nurses wear their scrubs out in public when they've been around patients all day who they know have communicable diseases. I don't need to have someone's ebola cough transported right from their bedside in the hospital to my local food court, thanks.
+1.

You would think these medical professionals would have better sense. I know they will say the personnel's who deal with high risk patients get decontaminated or use different scrubs. I still don't want some small virus or bug with my meal either.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1755 posts
555 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 2:42 pm
Well pointed out. I never understood that. In Europe, nurses are forbidden from wearing their scrubs out of the hospital.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9242 posts
3633 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, people who wear scrubs in Public.......hazard risk alert!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19798 posts
3620 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Op, what kind of mask should they wear?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.