• Mar 26th, 2018 6:49 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19544 posts
2151 upvotes
Montreal
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 12:50 pm
It donned on me that family doctors do not wear face masks when treating their patients. I asked my own family doctor that question once and he confidently told me he can tell since he knows his patients well enough to know. I find that foolishly arrogant and even reckless as most contageons have a long incubation period and if he caught something from one of his patients he can pass it on to you unknowingly and pass it. I think the idea of wearing masks out in public has just made so much more sense now.

What do you think? Overly paranoid or wise and prudent?
There are standards for this stuff:

https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/ho ... ecautions/
Mar 29, 2015
199 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
sandikosh wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 3:50 pm
Op, what kind of mask should they wear?
Not as intense as a hazmat suit, but it hasn't failed me yet.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1693 posts
514 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
If you feel your doctor should wear a mask and won't, there is an easy solution.

YOU WEAR A MASK.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5107 posts
476 upvotes
Doctors *should* be following routine precautions, just like anyone else in healthcare.

Routine precautions wouldn't JUST require a mask to prevent droplet spread anyway. They'd also need eye protection.

I'd be more concerned about proper and frequent hand hygiene tbh. And also proper c/d of contaminated surfaces between patients.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5107 posts
476 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 2:42 pm
Not only that. Ask yourself why nurses wear their scrubs out in public when they've been around patients all day who they know have communicable diseases. I don't need to have someone's ebola cough transported right from their bedside in the hospital to my local food court, thanks.
Someone needn't be a nurse in scrubs to spread communicable disease. People with MRSA are eating in your local food court. People with feces under their nails are pushing the elevator buttons before you do. Best practice is to worry about yourself and wash your hands after touching environmental surfaces in public prior to eating.
Penalty Box
Jan 6, 2011
4404 posts
755 upvotes
GTA
Do you get shorter life expectancy for getting sick more frequently than you should?

TTC is probably as bad as medial offices.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16278 posts
1393 upvotes
Space for rent
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 4:14 pm
Do you get shorter life expectancy for getting sick more frequently than you should?

TTC is probably as bad as medial offices.
Pretty sure it does. You're constantly fighting off foreign pathogens and whatnot. People with a strong constitution will likely recover faster and spend less time in recuperation than a person with a weak constitution who may have to deal with the same illness multiple times, etc. Takes a toll on you, basically.
Penalty Box
Jan 6, 2011
4404 posts
755 upvotes
GTA
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 26th, 2018 3:12 am
Pretty sure it does. You're constantly fighting off foreign pathogens and whatnot. People with a strong constitution will likely recover faster and spend less time in recuperation than a person with a weak constitution who may have to deal with the same illness multiple times, etc. Takes a toll on you, basically.
Seems mortality do vary with different disciplines:

Our GPs might be under Primary care, who lives longest!!

So it might not have been the germs, but stress??