Food & Drink

Why don't restaurants give spoons with the order?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 12:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
4539 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto

Why don't restaurants give spoons with the order?

I've ordered rice meal from the restos in food court and what they always give me is fork and sometimes knife. I always have to ask for spoon.

Why don't they include the spoon at first place. Are they expecting the customers to eat rice with forks?
22 replies
Feb 9, 2013
928 posts
481 upvotes
Ottawa
test9251 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 8:05 pm
I've ordered rice meal from the restos in food court and what they always give me is fork and sometimes knife. I always have to ask for spoon.

Why don't they include the spoon at first place. Are they expecting the customers to eat rice with forks?
White people eat rice with forks, other races of people seem to use spoons or chopsticks.
Jan 29, 2017
496 posts
479 upvotes
Forks are more polyvalent. But nothing can beat the Spork!

Jan 2, 2015
974 posts
364 upvotes
I have to say it has never occurred to me to eat rice with a spoon. I usually use a fork. I only use spoons for liquids and ice cream.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18769 posts
4053 upvotes
Toronto

If you are Asian, you should really be eating rice with those Winking Face
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1506 posts
193 upvotes
Markham
iflyplanes wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:22 pm
White people eat rice with forks, other races of people seem to use spoons or chopsticks.
Yes Philipinos use spoon a lot. I’ve actually seen them attempt to use them as knives
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3344 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
As a teen, I remember my father yelling at me for attempting to eat cake with a spoon. “Go to the kitchen and get yourself a fork. You can only use spoons for ice cream.“

He must have yelled away any table manners creativity out of me, because it never occurred to me to eat rice with a spoon. Spoons are for soup.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6079 posts
900 upvotes
Mississauga
Mostly toddlers and small children eat with spoons. Most people eat rice with a fork or chopsticks. Spoons are for soup, stew, ice cream, cereal, etc.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1164 posts
191 upvotes
I only eat rice with a fork, would never consider a spoon.
Alex
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3344 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
I watched like 5 YouTubes to get a definite answer.

In Canada, use a spoon with a bowl and a fork with a plate. But the idea of table manners is to be conscientious of the other people at the table. So if you are eating with a bunch of Philipinos, you should probably use a spoon (right hand) and a fork (left hand).
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1424 posts
364 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I find this odd too. As an Indian I cannot understand why someone would eat rice with a fork. Although thinking a bit harder about it maybe I eat with a spoon because our dishes are curries which can be watery.

Anyways spoon ftw!
May 12, 2014
587 posts
164 upvotes
Markham, ON
MonctonMan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 4:58 pm
I watched like 5 YouTubes to get a definite answer.

In Canada, use a spoon with a bowl and a fork with a plate. But the idea of table manners is to be conscientious of the other people at the table. So if you are eating with a bunch of Philipinos, you should probably use a spoon (right hand) and a fork (left hand).
Not just Filipinos that use spoons for rice. Thai, and Malaysians do too. Personally I'd rather follow the culture that eats rice the most on the use of proper utensils when having rice.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
8777 posts
1521 upvotes
Somewhere
im so asian i eat soup with chopsticks
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9820 posts
880 upvotes
PCUSER wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 10:04 am
Yes Philipinos use spoon a lot. I’ve actually seen them attempt to use them as knives
To them, the spoon is the knife.

I once had a dinner with Filipinos. We had pork chops and I asked where the knives were. They all laughed at me like I'm the crazy one. :rolleyes:
Bobberts wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:05 am
Not just Filipinos that use spoons for rice. Thai, and Malaysians do too. Personally I'd rather follow the culture that eats rice the most on the use of proper utensils when having rice.
Koreans use spoons too due to the many stews, but for rice they feel the need to challenge themselves with thin metal chopsticks.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
8777 posts
1521 upvotes
Somewhere
i have an axe to grind with them koreans. if ur gonna make ur chopsticks out of heavy metal, make them girth-ier so it doesnt slip all the damn time. spaghetti thin metal chopsticks are too delicate for my stocky nordic-blood hands.
:confused: