Food & Drink

Why don't restaurants give spoons with the order?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 12:20 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
4869 posts
900 upvotes
Toronto
Eating rice from a fork is weird for me..and also from a plate...rice has to be in a bowl Face With Tears Of Joy
Last edited by Pochacco on Nov 14th, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2098 posts
213 upvotes
Mississauga
MonctonMan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 4:58 pm
I watched like 5 YouTubes to get a definite answer.

In Canada, use a spoon with a bowl and a fork with a plate. But the idea of table manners is to be conscientious of the other people at the table. So if you are eating with a bunch of Philipinos, you should probably use a spoon (right hand) and a fork (left hand).
Go ahead and try to eat PHO with a spoon only.
Philipinos will always use fork and a spoon I have noticed. Works for me if you are consuming meat nice and tender :)
May 12, 2014
587 posts
164 upvotes
Markham, ON
Can we all stop with the 'Philipinos' please, the proper term is Filipino.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9816 posts
878 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:35 am
i have an axe to grind with them koreans. if ur gonna make ur chopsticks out of heavy metal, make them girth-ier so it doesnt slip all the damn time. spaghetti thin metal chopsticks are too delicate for my stocky nordic-blood hands.
All this time I thought you were Asian. But I'm an Asian with big hands... I know your pain.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36661 posts
2532 upvotes
Toronto
Bobberts wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:38 pm
Can we all stop with the 'Philipinos' please, the proper term is Filipino.
Its actually ok to spell it that way...
Philippines is the English name for the country, while – Filipinas is both the Spanish and Filipino name for the Philippines. The people are called Filipinos in English, Spanish and Filipino, but many Filipinos still prefer to call themselves Pilipino and their country Pilipinas.Nov 16, 2011
Why isn't it spelled “Philippino?” - Pilipino ...
www.pilipino-express.com › 127-the-bas...
Feedback
About this result
Minus the "h" hehe
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4747 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
A colleague of mine thats a mainlander eats a rice bowl every day for lunch and uses a fork. I inquired about his fork use, he says he always uses chopsticks at home but says its easier to use a fork at work. It might be true but hes always saying and doing illogical things....lol.

For Indian dishes or perhaps risotto a spoon works better, but for most east Asian rice dishes a fork is the best chopstick substitute....the rice would stick too much to the surface of the spoon.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1207 posts
302 upvotes
Ottawa
In Asia the standard is to use chopstick or spoon. Mind you their spoon is significantly different than a spoon here.

This is what you would get from a typical fast food place in Asia in case you never seen one before:

https://cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com/ima ... 137490.jpg

In Asia, you rarely get disposable chopstick outside of Japan.

Over here I would take a fork over spoon any day if I can only pick one.