Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9070 posts
3123 upvotes
Toronto

Why EVs are garbage

Sound sucks. Range sucks. Cost sucks even with incentives. No manual sucks. Getting a free charge sucks. So, how do you really feel about EVs?

I drive typically around 12000kms annually. Mostly city driving. I do love to take road trips that are excess of any range an EV could produce. Because of my short commute and meagre annual kms, any type of electric vehicle would be an absolute waste of money on my part. It would take me at least a decade to recoup the costs on the crappiest and cheapest EV.

I could probably drive a lambo all year and it would equate the to same cost of ownership at the end of its life cycle as a stupid EV.

Discuss.
305 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
20399 posts
5203 upvotes
Toronto
I will add one more rant for you ....

"the resale sucks big time too" Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2736 posts
469 upvotes
GTA
I don't think anyone cares about you and your specific driving needs.
If an EV doesn't work for you, then don't buy one.
You mostly like can't afford a Lamborghini so you shouldn't use that comparison.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15168 posts
1884 upvotes
Toronto
Why do you even have a car then? Why not get a metropass and rent a car once or twice a year when you take your road trips?
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9070 posts
3123 upvotes
Toronto
ADRiiAN` wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 1:44 pm
You mostly like can't afford a Lamborghini so you shouldn't use that comparison.
I don't care what anyone else thinks either. I'm allowed to participate in a discussion why EVs blow hard and if you don't like it, don't participate in my thread.
Piro21 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 1:49 pm
Why do you even have a car then? Why not get a metropass and rent a car once or twice a year when you take your road trips?
Cause status symbol. TTC is crap. It would take me well twice as long to travel 1/2 the distance. I'd rather get anywhere I want the way I want, listening to what I want and not having to deal with crowded tubes of people.
Last edited by koffey on Jul 10th, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8595 posts
1363 upvotes
Markham
ADRiiAN` wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 1:44 pm
+1

Because it doesn't work in your favor doesn't mean that it is useless.
I don't commute much neither and have no need for an EV to save me gas bills. I won't be getting an EV shortly but still interesting to see how the technology advance these days, etc.

So, stuff doesn't appear to you doesn't mean that it is bad. It could benefit tons of people, just not you. And you are not the only one in the world.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Mar 27, 2012
213 posts
94 upvotes
If I'm buying a car that comes in gas or EV and the rebate negates the extra cost of an EV, why would I not get an EV? One prime example is the BMW 330e.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9070 posts
3123 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 1:51 pm
+1

Because it doesn't work in your favor doesn't mean that it is useless.
I don't commute much neither and have no need for an EV to save me gas bills. I won't be getting an EV shortly but still interesting to see how the technology advance these days, etc.

So, stuff doesn't appear to you doesn't mean that it is bad. It could benefit tons of people, just not you. And you are not the only one in the world.
Wrong, it's completely useless. Basically everyone in any city globally doesn't have a requirement for an EV so it's not just me in the world. How many people in the worlds largest cities? As mentioned above, get a metro pass and rent a car when you want it. But not this guy here, I'm all about burning dinosaur bones to the sweet sound of success. EVs are for tree hugging hobos.
Oct 26, 2009
790 posts
245 upvotes
Probably wouldn't get an EV due to range anxiety....they are however amazing in terms of instant torque and acceleration but I'd stick with the ICE for now.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
20399 posts
5203 upvotes
Toronto
for me, I do plan to get one sometime (in about 4 - 5 yrs) down the road, once there are much better recharging infrastructure networks setup all over the province. For now, I am happy with my dino fuel burning car.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2175 posts
736 upvotes
Pothole city
booblehead wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 1:43 pm
I will add one more rant for you ....

"the resale sucks big time too" Smiling Face With Open Mouth
No it doesn't. Try to find a used Leaf or E-Golf
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
20399 posts
5203 upvotes
Toronto
^ In Ontario, if you signed for less than 3 yrs lease, you don't get a gov't rebate. Maybe that explains (in part) there are no used ones out there as the car owners need to fulfill the term first.
Jan 19, 2010
259 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Obviously an ev doesn't work for you.

Works well for the majority of suburban two car families though. I agree on one point, prices need to come down and they will.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20871 posts
7709 upvotes
Ottawa
For $60K, I got a more practical vehicle with all of the bells and whistles, than I could from the very limited EV selection.