Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
4446 posts
1601 upvotes
Toronto
radeonboy wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 7:40 pm
What you describe as too cheap to buy an EV at full price without handouts, I view as smart. Like I said to the OP..."Maybe it's because you pay taxes like the rest of us, but weren't smart enough to accept your own money back when the government was wanting to hand it back to you."
Yeah but it's not very smart to spend thousands on something I dont want.

Nonetheless my analogy is more apt than yours.

The smugness will start to dissipate when the handouts disappear, then we will see how steadfast the EV crowd is in Ontario.
Email = [myusername] @ GMail.com
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] Fido LTE micro sim
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23165 posts
9629 upvotes
Ottawa
radeonboy wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 7:54 pm
What lease? Don't assume.
... when the warranty is over and your pockets are drying up.
All of you will be crawling back, when there's no more rebates and the price of electricity rises.
Jan 19, 2010
282 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
NoPistons wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 6:31 pm
Lets say i want to drive to anywhere farther than close to the american border i would have issues finding a supercharger. Have you actually looked at a map of chargers for Tesla on their website ? Or long trips between provinces .... there is no supercharge between Sudbury and Lethbridge on the Canadian side other than "coming soon" on the website.
Get an airline ticket, it's cheaper and faster. I've not seen many situations where driving 1000km + return makes sense more sense to drive over fly in a passenger vehicle situation.
Jun 1, 2017
221 posts
139 upvotes
fromano wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 8:36 pm
Get an airline ticket, it's cheaper and faster. I've not seen many situations where driving 1000km + return makes sense more sense to drive over fly in a passenger vehicle situation.

Not really when you factor in all costs.

If you use GasBuddy to calculate cost for a trip from lets say Hamilton ON to Vancouver BC it calculates gas as 450 bucks round trip. (2015 nissan rogue) oh and factor in motel (if you dont plan on rotating drivers) probably 100 ish a night for two stops. Its about 45H driving.

easily around 700-900 ish for a trip give or take.... now how much is it to fly two adults and two children to bc ? 2575$ on Westjet for a round trip and a week apart flights and thats economy and lowest rates at this moment per their website.

Sorry its more economical to drive
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2015 posts
1079 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 7:25 pm
I don't think I'm missing much...9.7sec 0-60!!!

Ok, how many times have you been to the drag strip with your cars?

I can't believe that the mods haven't locked this thread or the other about ICE cars being garbage. They lock up all the other bashing / trolling threads ASAP.

But my $.02 about EVs. One shouldn't really compare them to their ICE cousins. Both have pros and cons and both will meet certain things for everyone each being different individually.

I'm certainly no tree hugger, but how many more lives our we gonna lose in wars to gain control of the oil? Oh and the government may spin it as a war on weapons of mass destruction but it was just to control the oil in Iraq wasn't it?
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Jan 19, 2010
282 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
NoPistons wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 8:48 pm
Not really when you factor in all costs.

If you use GasBuddy to calculate cost for a trip from lets say Hamilton ON to Vancouver BC it calculates gas as 450 bucks round trip. (2015 nissan rogue) oh and factor in motel (if you dont plan on rotating drivers) probably 100 ish a night for two stops. Its about 45H driving.

easily around 700-900 ish for a trip give or take.... now how much is it to fly two adults and two children to bc ? 2575$ on Westjet for a round trip and a week apart flights and thats economy and lowest rates at this moment per their website.

Sorry its more economical to drive
You're forgetting food, insurance, time, maintenance, wear and tear. Blowing a tire, possible mechanical breakdown, etc. Even the CRA will factor 55 cents per KM for purposes of calculating expenses. Let's for arguments sake use $ 0.30/km at which point 8500km = $ 2550. Even in that scenario you are at par, and avoiding hearing kids in a car for a few days straight is probably worth paying double that.
Jun 1, 2017
221 posts
139 upvotes
fromano wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:32 pm
You're forgetting food, insurance, time, maintenance, wear and tear. Blowing a tire, possible mechanical breakdown, etc. Even the CRA will factor 55 cents per KM for purposes of calculating expenses. Let's for arguments sake use $ 0.30/km at which point 8500km = $ 2550. Even in that scenario you are at par, and avoiding hearing kids in a car for a few days straight is probably worth paying double that.
Food is a given no matter what, you cant not eat.

Insurance is paid no matter if you're flying or not so i say its moot since you don't UNinsure your car when you fly. Maintenance is very little, 1 oil change is 50-60 bucks, but fine 2 oil changes then.

900+120 for oil. Food probably 200 if you're eating high on the hog on the trip there. I don't know about a possible breakdown happening if you maintain your car properly, even planes break down so you could be delayed for hours or days.

I think were splitting hairs here but it still makes it more economical to drive plus family time to visit all the scenery.

i would say even spending 1500 driving is better than flying for 1000 more
Jan 19, 2010
282 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
NoPistons wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:42 pm
How so, you're increasing your travel time from 5 hours to effective 3 days each way. That extra six days of travel and time off work is expensive. Not to mention how much money due to lose to missing a source of income for an extra six days? Have you driven through the prairies? Until you get to the Rockies it's the most boring drive you can imagine.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23165 posts
9629 upvotes
Ottawa
some1not wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:20 pm
Ok, how many times have you been to the drag strip with your cars?
Never, but the Leaf drivers on here makes it seem their car is some sort of rocket.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23165 posts
9629 upvotes
Ottawa
fromano wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:47 pm
How so, you're increasing your travel time from 5 hours to effective 3 days each way. That extra six days of travel and time off work is expensive. Not to mention how much money due to lose to missing a source of income for an extra six days? Have you driven through the prairies? Until you get to the Rockies it's the most boring drive you can imagine.
Most workplaces provides 3 weeks of vacation.
Sep 30, 2007
595 posts
367 upvotes
I find it pretty funny how one year ago most of RFDers didn't give a sh*t about EVs or their owners.
For example, check out FFE thread in April of 2017, around time when I got mine
So nice, peaceful and quite.
Fast forward to the spring of 2018.
RFD is suddenly full of EV haters, willing to open multiple topics about how EVs suck, and ICEd vehicles are destined to rule the universe forever.
Is it just me, or most of these haters are simply jealous, since they missed the opportunity to get one of the most awesome deals on RFD?
Besides blow out on Saturn Astras 10 years ago, I'm pretty sure getting 14k rebate on brand new EV in Ontario was the deal of century in Ontario since then.
And seeing how 99% of the RFDers are willing to price match roll of toilet paper, I bet you can't sleep at night, thinking about all the money you could have saved, if only you weren't so clueless one year ago.
Well, cheapskates, “read 'em and weep”.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2015 posts
1079 upvotes
Toronto
xrvr wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 11:07 pm
I find it pretty funny how one year ago most of RFDers didn't give a sh*t about EVs or their owners.
RFD is suddenly full of EV haters, willing to open multiple topics about how EVs suck, and ICEd vehicles are destined to rule the universe forever.
Is it just me, or most of these haters are simply jealous, since they missed the opportunity to get one of the most awesome deals on RFD?
Besides blow out on Saturn Astras 10 years ago, I'm pretty sure getting 14k rebate on brand new EV in Ontario was the deal of century in Ontario since then.
And seeing how 99% of the RFDers are willing to price match roll of toilet paper, I bet you can't sleep at night, thinking about all the money you could have saved, if only you weren't so clueless one year ago.
Well said, the best deal on here for EVs may have been the FFE and the 2015 Leaf for ~$21K OTD if i remember correctly.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23165 posts
9629 upvotes
Ottawa
xrvr wrote:
It's a Ford, no one is losing sleep over it... Ford owner here by the way.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1895 posts
770 upvotes
Ontario
xrvr wrote:

Besides blow out on Saturn Astras 10 years ago,
I remember that deal - it was so hard not to buy one but wife kept pointing out that we didn't actually need it. I remember it was around $10k + tax etc.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2788 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
NoPistons wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:42 pm

Insurance is paid no matter if you're flying or not so i say its moot since you don't UNinsure your car when you fly. Maintenance is very little, 1 oil change is 50-60 bucks, but fine 2 oil changes then.

900+120 for oil. Food probably 200 if you're eating high on the hog on the trip there. I don't know about a possible breakdown happening if you maintain your car properly, even planes break down so you could be delayed for hours or days.

I think were splitting hairs here but it still makes it more economical to drive plus family time to visit all the scenery.

i would say even spending 1500 driving is better than flying for 1000 more
you can't be serious.
Realtor - Platinum award winner