Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2719 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
deadtorights wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:47 am
Wrong!

EV rebate is not cancel everywhere. THey still exist in canada, US and other country.
Toronto is the centre of the universe..

but you're right, quebec still has 8K rebate..

Ontario just went back to the stone ages.
Realtor - Platinum award winner
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2975 posts
346 upvotes
oasis100 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 10:00 am

They gotta push those 10cent savings at the pump somehow right?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22229 posts
8864 upvotes
Ottawa
azn_dan wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 10:06 am
They gotta push those 10cent savings at the pump somehow right?
...and cutting costs for Ontarians by $1.9 billion per year!
Sep 30, 2001
27078 posts
6004 upvotes
Toronto
ADRiiAN` wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 8:24 am
Mods need to step up and end this crying and get back to proper discussions about cars.
It's two threads out of hundreds. No one is being prevented from looking at any of the other threads and discussing cars.

There's a small contingent of people who for whatever reason (I blame the summer heat) have flipped their lids and want to engage in this automotive civil war. I don't get it or understand it, but fair enough. It get clicks and eyeballs so it's all good. The only thing that won't be tolerated is rudeness and name calling and those posts will be immediately removed.

If these topics are not your cup of tea please use your free will and move on to those threads which do.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3058 posts
934 upvotes
Toronto
MrDisco wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:46 am
It's two threads out of hundreds. No one is being prevented from looking at any of the other threads and discussing cars.

There's a small contingent of people who for whatever reason (I blame the summer heat) have flipped their lids and want to engage in this automotive civil war. I don't get it or understand it, but fair enough. It get clicks and eyeballs so it's all good. The only thing that won't be tolerated is rudeness and name calling and those posts will be immediately removed.

If these topics are not your cup of tea please use your free will and move on to those threads which do.
Those other threads are getting harder to find these days...
4 years of pain for Ontario...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9465 posts
3591 upvotes
Toronto
oasis100 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 10:00 am

No. Ontario has a money problem that Quebec does not. Ontario was giving out $14000 to people to buy an EV, compared to Quebec's $8000. Ontario WAS in the stone ages for the last 11 years.

Explain to me how Ontario was giving $6000 more than Quebec and a staggering $8000 more than BC, province of hippies and all things green/eco. BC excludes vehicles that are also over the $77000 price point where Ontario was a free for all. I'd be interested in what you have to say but I don't think I will.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3573 posts
767 upvotes
Vancouver
koffey wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 12:04 pm
No. Ontario has a money problem that Quebec does not. Ontario was giving out $14000 to people to buy an EV, compared to Quebec's $8000. Ontario WAS in the stone ages for the last 11 years.

Explain to me how Ontario was giving $6000 more than Quebec and a staggering $8000 more than BC, province of hippies and all things green/eco. BC excludes vehicles that are also over the $77000 price point where Ontario was a free for all. I'd be interested in what you have to say but I don't think I will.
$4000 in B.C. and we're supposed to be one of the "have" provinces. We send $$ to the Feds that is given to "have not" provinces of which Quebec takes a very large portion no doubt allowing them the discretion to offer their $8000 rebate. What a farce!

Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9179 posts
2552 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
koffey wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 12:04 pm

Could it have something to do with the amount of pollution Ontario is producing, due to larger population, etc? The money received from cap and trade was then distributed back to Ontarians to promote more sustainable energy consumption. Higher rebate meant more ev drivers, more ev drivers, less pollution....,
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2809 posts
525 upvotes
GTA
MrDisco wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:46 am

The amount of downvotes on the thread are fairly clear that both the "ICE/EV are garbage" are nothing but useless.
These threads are created with zero good intentions on discussion. Calling "EV drivers nerds" or "ICE drivers polluters" is adding zero value to this forum.

Just my opinion and you're right. Free will and move on.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9465 posts
3591 upvotes
Toronto
Andro wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 12:38 pm
Could it have something to do with the amount of pollution Ontario is producing, due to larger population, etc? The money received from cap and trade was then distributed back to Ontarians to promote more sustainable energy consumption. Higher rebate meant more ev drivers, more ev drivers, less pollution....,
Good theory. If you look at the data from 2005-2015, the 4 main points that 'resolved' of air pollution were:

The phase-out of coal-fired generating stations
Emissions trading regulations, (O. Reg. 397/01 and O. Reg. 194/05)
Emissions controls at Ontario smelters
Drive Clean testing of vehicle emissions

If you than compare Ontario and Quebec, #1 and 2 respective in Canada for both land mass and population (granted ON has about 5million more), comparing 2005-2015 data, there wasn't much difference in pollution between the two, so I don't think that pollution was the reason.

http://www.mddep.gouv.qc.ca/air/iqa/sta ... dex_en.htm

https://www.ontario.ca/document/air-qua ... 015-report

Also, Quebec relies more on mining natural resources than Ontario who's big play is agriculture. With the green belt being the size of PEI and all them farms, I can't see how the Liberal govt thought $14,000 was an 'appropriate' amount. Or maybe, the govt thought that it would boost Ontario's automotive manufacturing and help bring all them EV creation jobs here.
Dec 19, 2015
286 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary, AB
seafish wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 1:20 pm
At least in Ontario off-peak rate after delivery and taxes is between 9 and 10 cents. And for 99% cases, it doesn't make sense to charge not off-peak.
Check yourself in the calculator: https://www.oeb.ca/consumer-protection/ ... calculator
Put some base kWh usage (i.e. 0 or 100) to account for fixed charges and move 100% to off-peak. Then add 100 to the base and see how much your bill is changed.
Yes, I should have been clearer. There are some parts of the country that the numbers may be right, but as I mentioned further down that post it really depends on where you are. For most people in Canada that rate is a pipe dream. They'll be paying close to double that with inefficiencies.

It's just another one of the "it depends" answers as to whether EV's are "better" than ICE.
Dec 19, 2015
286 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary, AB
fromano wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 8:36 pm
Get an airline ticket, it's cheaper and faster. I've not seen many situations where driving 1000km + return makes sense more sense to drive over fly in a passenger vehicle situation.
I presume you never camp then? Or take equipment with you (such as bikes)?

Flying is a good (not for the environment) option for many trips, but driving is generally cheaper (but takes more time) and gives you the opportunity to take more things with you that you'd either have to pay extra to take on a plane, or just not be able to take on them period.

I drove to Utah recently with bikes, skiis and a tent for two. The cost saving was significant, I wouldn't have been able to take many of the things I did and I wouldn't have been able to see many of the places I did because I'd be loathe to take a hire car down some of the roads we took our own car.
Dec 19, 2015
286 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary, AB
NewsyL wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 12:29 pm
$4000 in B.C. and we're supposed to be one of the "have" provinces. We send $$ to the Feds that is given to "have not" provinces of which Quebec takes a very large portion no doubt allowing them the discretion to offer their $8000 rebate. What a farce!

At least you get a rebate. Even the NDP in Alberta hasn't given us one, and the PC and Kenny are more likely to undo every green initiative the NDP have put in place the last few years than set up a rebate system!
Jun 1, 2017
221 posts
139 upvotes
Andy34 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 2:21 pm
I presume you never camp then? Or take equipment with you (such as bikes)?

Flying is a good (not for the environment) option for many trips, but driving is generally cheaper (but takes more time) and gives you the opportunity to take more things with you that you'd either have to pay extra to take on a plane, or just not be able to take on them period.

I drove to Utah recently with bikes, skiis and a tent for two. The cost saving was significant, I wouldn't have been able to take many of the things I did and I wouldn't have been able to see many of the places I did because I'd be loathe to take a hire car down some of the roads we took our own car.
Finally someone that understands what i am saying....

Its like i was talking to a wall, the cost savings even in country is significant when driving vs flying, hell i can even tow a trailer and bring even more stuff, throw a cargo carrier on the roof and boom weekend packed