Computers & Electronics

Why is the facebook iOS app so god damn buggy?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2011 4:48 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 9, 2011
70 posts
13 upvotes

Why is the facebook iOS app so god damn buggy?

It's a total mess. When you choose a profile picture it will randomly select a picture from your photo album. Also when you upload new pictures it sometimes takes 30+ minutes for them to show up and then multiples of the same picture will often appear sometimes erasing the existing pictures. Changing the notifications on the app does nothing, you actually have to log into the site for any settings changes to take effect. When you're viewing pictures the high resolution version will sometimes not load and only display the low resolution thumbnail picture. When this happens it appears to be a permanent change on the app(though it still works properly on the website) and the only way around it is to delete the picture and reupload. On top of all that it's also unstable as hell and crashes constantly. I'm talking a crash in every 1 out 4 attempts at opening the application.

What happened? As I recall the facebook app used to be very highly rated. Now the reviews on the app store are full of 1 star reviews. Does facebook simply not care about iOS anymore? Pretty much everyone I know with an iPhone or iPad just uses the mobile site because the application is a total POS. Myspace eventually went down the tubes because their site was crappy outdated, now I think that facebook has not learned a thing from the mistakes of it's predecessor and will soon be headed down the same path.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2959 posts
463 upvotes
Montreal
It is just recently that Facebook released an official app for iOS. Previously it was just a mobile version of the website. I guess you just have to change phones in order to use a better version of the app :) jk
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2008
1775 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
rest assured, facebook on Android is sh*t
© 2015
Jul 13, 2009
932 posts
63 upvotes
Yeah, of facebook on Android, ios and WP7, it's marginally the best on WP7, but still pretty poor compared to other apps on the platform, in my experience.

Doesn't even load anything on Honeycomb for me, I assume it actually functions to some degree on phones rather than tablets.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2143 posts
1566 upvotes
I haven't been able to open up Facebook on my iPhone for two weeks... it just crashes on launch.
May 30, 2011
388 posts
16 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
On droid, I "Force Close" it more than I ever get to use it.