Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8925 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
georgecantstandya wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:01 pm
But can your EV sound like this?

No, thank God. My days of being obnoxious jerk ended with my teens. I do understand that everyone grows up at a different time though. I can also guarantee you that my Leaf will take that car pretty much everywhere within city limits. By the time he puts it in gear I'll already be at next intersection)
NoPistons wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:11 pm
Hey if you want to drive your Prius by all means, more gas for me.

Once i can actually have all the fun things in an EV i will maybe switch.

Who doesn't love the sound of rotary engine ? Hell ill pay more for just the pleasure of hearing the dinosaurs cry out the end of my exhaust, dont get me wrong i would probably buy an EV for a commuter but never for a performance weekend mobile.

Real question though .... Does an EV make you SMILE while driving?
I drive a Leaf. It makes me smile everytime. That whizzing sound and instant torque is addictive)
seafish wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:08 pm
But why would I want to hear that?
+1. We have enough garbage trucks on the road as is.
Last edited by Andro on Jul 11th, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1072 posts
569 upvotes
I don't support the places we mine a lot of the resources for EVs nor the companies that support those countries. Rather buy ICE and support resource development in a safe and ethical country like Canada or the USA. Supporting Democratic Republic of the Congo so I can virtue signal that I'm better than poor people who use ICE? I rather not.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Jun 1, 2017
209 posts
125 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:43 pm
You didn't mention anything about the price, you just claimed that EV(including Model S) can't put a smile on the driver's face, which is wrong.
But hey, if you like driving ICE cars with their exhaust sounds and fumes and that's what makes you happy there is nothing wrong with it. Enjoy.

Should of put Price per Smile comparison lol

Price is always a factor, Hell i would have a hell of a lot of fun driving a geo metro if i saved 90k lol.

My chest hair/beard grow when in the presence of exhaust fumes just saying :P lol
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1560 posts
670 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you have to start a thread to convince yourself your choice it correct, it probably isn't. If EV's are great, why so insecure that you need to shit on ICE?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8925 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
canoek wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:45 pm
If you have to start a thread to convince yourself your choice it correct, it probably isn't. If EV's are great, why so insecure that you need to shit on ICE?
This thread is a response to ev bashing thread,which according to your logic makes all ice drivers look insecure and trying to justify their poor choices. Not arguing with that though, lol. Nothing to do with insecurity though. If anything anyone who displays engine size on their car and revs out their fart cannon is the one that is insecure)
Last edited by Andro on Jul 11th, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 3, 2012
139 posts
67 upvotes
Montreal, QC
canoek wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:45 pm
Could also say the same in reverse.
If ICEs are great, why so insecure that people need to shit on EV?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1072 posts
569 upvotes
deadtorights wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:49 pm
Could also say the same in reverse.
If ICEs are great, why so insecure that people need to shit on EV?
I would say since people overhype EVs...like EVs are great, just not affordable.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2615 posts
1250 upvotes
Canadia
Electric cars seem like a wonderful idea while their market share is relatively small. However, there are significant problems:

1. Governments will be forced to replace gasoline taxes with new electric vehicle taxes to cover the cost of building and maintaining roads,

2. The power grid already experiences unsustainable load during cold and warm spells. Adding a few million EV quick chargers to the grid will require billions of dollars spent on infrastructure just to keep the system functioning.

3. EVs are dirty to manufacture. The batteries require rare earth elements that are in short supply or from conflict zones.

4. Personal vehicles are unsustainable. We should be investing in effective mass transit systems, not underused metal boxes that sit in driveways or parking lots 90% of the time and have to be replaced every decade. The push to replace ICE engines with electric is a bit like watching Victorian-era travellers attempt to replace their horses with steam powered ponies. It doesn't resolve the underlying problem.
Last edited by retrothing on Jul 11th, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 8, 2017
556 posts
389 upvotes
GTA
Andro wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:44 pm
I can also guarantee you that my Leaf will take that [Lamborghini Countach] pretty much everywhere within city limits. By the time he puts it in gear I'll already be at next intersection)
Quick Google shows:

Leaf 0-60: 7.4 s
Countach 0-60: 4.7 s

And Countach's are at least 18 years old. The modern equivalent is an Aventador. It's 0-60 is 2.9 s.

Last edited by derass on Jul 11th, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1072 posts
569 upvotes
retrothing wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:53 pm
Electric cars seem like a wonderful idea while their market share is relatively small. However, there are significant problems:

1. Governments will be forced to replace gasoline taxes with new electric vehicle taxes to cover the cost of building and maintaining roads,

2. The power grid already experiences unsustainable load during cold and warm spells. Adding a few million EV quick chargers to the grid will require billions of dollars spent on infrastructure just to keep the system functioning.

3. EVs are dirty to manufacture. The batteries require rare earth elements that are in short supply or from conflict zones.

4. Personal vehicles are sustainable into the far future. We should be investing in effective mass transit systems, not underused metal boxes that sit in driveways or parking lots 90% of the time. The push to replace ICE engines with electric is a bit like watching Victorian-era travellers attempt to replace their horses with steam powered ponies. It doesn't resolve the underlying problem.
...This is the most sensible comment so far.

Thread over people
Jul 7, 2007
781 posts
287 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:44 pm
No, thank God. My days of being obnoxious jerk ended with my teens. I do understand that everyone grows up at a different time though. I can also guarantee you that my Leaf will take that car pretty much everywhere within city limits. By the time he puts it in gear I'll already be at next intersection)
You can't drive a leaf that fast because the brakes are garbage.
Jun 1, 2017
209 posts
125 upvotes
retrothing wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:53 pm

4. Personal vehicles are sustainable into the far future. We should be investing in effective mass transit systems, not underused metal boxes that sit in driveways or parking lots 90% of the time. The push to replace ICE engines with electric is a bit like watching Victorian-era travellers attempt to replace their horses with steam powered ponies. It doesn't resolve the underlying problem.

Wow what an excellent post. I could not agree with you more. Like i said before i wouldn't mind an EV but i do not see the point as of right now.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8925 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
derass wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:55 pm
Quick Google shows:

Leaf 0-60: 7.4 s
Countach 0-60: 4.7 s

And Countach's are at least 18 years old. The modern equivalent is an Aventador. It's 0-60 is 2.9 s.

0-60 does not happen that often in the city. More like 30-80. Also countach has terrible grip, widow maker for a reason. countach still costs more even today than new leaf.
Zero Hope wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:57 pm
You can't drive a leaf that fast because the brakes are garbage.
Of course you can. Its a city, not a track. 80km max, maybe 100. I don't use brakes often 99%regen brake, lol?
Sep 8, 2017
556 posts
389 upvotes
GTA
Right. A Leaf will take the Countach from a roll, or through the corners...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8925 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
derass wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 4:28 pm
Right. A Leaf will take the Countach from a roll, or through the corners...
Roll no problem within city limits. Turns depends, but countach does not have the best grip too, so...I took last gen c63 recently, can't imagine countach being much faster.

Go test drive one, you'll understand.
Last edited by Andro on Jul 11th, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)