Why ICE (petrol/gas/diesel) cars are garbage

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2018 11:48 am
Jul 7, 2007
781 posts
287 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 4:23 pm
0-60 does not happen that often in the city. More like 30-80. Also countach has terrible grip, widow maker for a reason. countach still costs more even today than new leaf.

Of course you can. Its a city, not a track. 80km max, maybe 100. I don't use brakes often 99%regen brake, lol?
Your claiming that your leaf is faster than ICE cars in the city. Do you realize how short of a distance a city block is? You need an airplane runway to stop a leaf from 100km-0.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
1405 posts
537 upvotes
ontario
how absurd is this?

not everyone lives in the city and not everyone can put up with the range limitations

i did a 700km drive in one day a few wknds ago.. and didn't go through a whole tank of diesel. good luck with that mr EV driver.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
10774 posts
1352 upvotes
RFD
Excellent thread to troll the other garbage thread. And this one actually supports something that is meaningful.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
10774 posts
1352 upvotes
RFD
You should add that the Nitrogen oxides (NOx) coming from diesel garbage contributes to worldwide premature deaths and has a direct impact on people's respiratory system and other bodily functions. It can cause breathing problems, headaches, chronically reduced lung function, eye irritation, loss of appetite, corroded teeth, and much more. Indirectly damages the ecosystems people and animal rely on (plants/animals). Last I read a few years back it is estimated that a minimum of 38,000 people a year die early due to diesel emissions. And more to this it adds to long term illnesses, lost work days because of health, and some children will choke and die because of this crap in the air.
Jun 1, 2017
209 posts
125 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 8:05 pm
You should add that the Nitrogen oxides (NOx) coming from diesel garbage contributes to worldwide premature deaths and has a direct impact on people's respiratory system and other bodily functions. It can cause breathing problems, headaches, chronically reduced lung function, eye irritation, loss of appetite, corroded teeth, and much more. Indirectly damages the ecosystems people and animal rely on (plants/animals). Last I read a few years back it is estimated that a minimum of 38,000 people a year die early due to diesel emissions. And more to this it adds to long term illnesses, lost work days because of health, and some children will choke and die because of this crap in the air.
What about producing EV's ? What about waste batteries after they went past their usefulness ? What about the electricity that's being produced to power your car ?

Here is a good article

https://www.dw.com/en/how-eco-friendly- ... a-19441437
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8925 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
esoxhntr wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 6:39 pm
how absurd is this?

not everyone lives in the city and not everyone can put up with the range limitations

i did a 700km drive in one day a few wknds ago.. and didn't go through a whole tank of diesel. good luck with that mr EV driver.
I did over 400km in my 240km range leaf in one day. Yes, it will take longer but it's emission free kms and they were free too, paid zero)

Keep in mind you were not an average Canadian on that day. Average Canadian does 50km/day or less. If I had to do that many km in a day and ev was no go then I'd just rent another car, use public transit, etc.

BTW Tesla would easily do that with their supercharger network and very quick charging.
Last edited by Andro on Jul 11th, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8925 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
radeonboy wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 8:05 pm
Added. Thanks
Mar 3, 2012
139 posts
67 upvotes
Montreal, QC
NoPistons wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 8:12 pm
What about producing EV's ? What about waste batteries after they went past their usefulness ? What about the electricity that's being produced to power your car ?

Here is a good article

https://www.dw.com/en/how-eco-friendly- ... a-19441437
What about the BP oil spill long time ago ??
What about other oil rig that caught fire or explode and lot of oil is spill everywhere or oil tanker that sink.
Jun 1, 2017
209 posts
125 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 8:31 pm
I did 400km in my 240km range leaf in one day. Yes, it will take longer but it's emission free kms and they were free too, paid zero)

Keep in mind you are not on average Canadian on that day. Average Canadian does 50km/day or less. If I had to do that many km in a day and ev was no go then I'd just rent another car, use public transit, etc.

BTW Tesla would easily do that with their supercharger network and very quick charging.
Andro wrote:
Added. Thanks
Not emissions free, you forgot about the way the power is produced to that electricity to power your dirty battery car. If your car is not powered by renewable energy then it defeats the purpose no ?

You should also put the downsides to EV's because there are quite a few as well.

production of the vehicle is worst for the environment than a standard gasser
limited range
must be powered by renewable energy to be really "green"
life cycle of the batteries and cost associated with said repair
Not practical for bigger families who need more room such as a minivan or 3 row SUV
I'm not sure about this one but can they even tow anything ? because i have to tow a jetski as well as a trailer on occasion and if i have to buy a separate car just for that then whats the point financially

Maybe more but ill add them later on
Jun 1, 2017
209 posts
125 upvotes
deadtorights wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 8:34 pm
What about the BP oil spill long time ago ??
What about other oil rig that caught fire or explode and lot of oil is spill everywhere or oil tanker that sink.
What about the human rights violations involved with producing these batteries ? Cobalt is mined by children in the DRC in Africa

http://time.com/4939738/electric-cars-h ... hts-congo/
Mar 3, 2012
139 posts
67 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Don’t forget those car company that are cheating hide the real emission output
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8925 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
NoPistons wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 8:38 pm
Not emissions free, you forgot about the way the power is produced to that electricity to power your dirty battery car. If your car is not powered by renewable energy then it defeats the purpose no ?

You should also put the downsides to EV's because there are quite a few as well.

production of the vehicle is worst for the environment than a standard gasser
limited range
must be powered by renewable energy to be really "green"
life cycle of the batteries and cost associated with said repair
Not practical for bigger families who need more room such as a minivan or 3 row SUV
I'm not sure about this one but can they even tow anything ? because i have to tow a jetski as well as a trailer on occasion and if i have to buy a separate car just for that then whats the point financially

Maybe more but ill add them later on
Hard to respond to all your concerns in one post, but I'll try.

1. No matter how dirty my electricity was on that day, your ice car using fuel was worse. I actually did charging from solar on many occasions. Can you do that in your ice? Regarding production. As I said before no matter how dirty it was, your ice is worse in its lifetime. But here is a mostly green production vehicle, bmw i3

2. Large family. Tesla makes SUV for you. How large is large for you? Most ice cars have same capacity as ev or less.
3. Towing a jetski. Good for you. Sell the jetski and save some money or, here is some Tesla towing for you

Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
1405 posts
537 upvotes
ontario
Andro wrote:
I did over 400km in my 240km range leaf in one day. Yes, it will take longer but it's emission free kms and they were free too, paid zero)

Keep in mind you were not an average Canadian on that day. Average Canadian does 50km/day or less. If I had to do that many km in a day and ev was no go then I'd just rent another car, use public transit, etc.

you're out of your mind, stop painting the average canadian with your cidiot brush. time is money, I'm not pulling over to charge LMAO. is there an EV that will pull my boat 800 kms round-trip?

with the rebate going the way of the dodo, how much will a tesla model 3 be? besides, I currently count 0 tesla chargers between sudbury and winnipeg. 1700 KMS!!!! EV may be great in the city or as a 2nd car but we're nowhere near ready to replace ICE cars. Not in this country.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8925 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
esoxhntr wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 8:49 pm
you're out of your mind, stop painting the average canadian with your cidiot brush. time is money, I'm not pulling over to charge LMAO.

with the rebate going the way of the dodo, how much will a tesla model 3 be? besides, I currently count 0 tesla chargers between sudbury and winnipeg. 1700 KMS!!!! EV may be great in the city or as a 2nd car but we're nowhere near ready to replace ICE cars. Not in this country.
By the same token, stop painting them by your brush? I am quoting statistics, not imagination. I have no problem stopping over and actually neither do most ev drivers. As a matter of fact it allows me to explore areas. I don't mind it.

But back to facts. Currently with my average usage I need to charge 1-2 times per week. Most of the time its free too)