Why ICE (petrol/gas/diesel) cars are garbage

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2018 5:07 pm
Jun 1, 2017
219 posts
139 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 8:45 pm
Hard to respond to all your concerns in one post, but I'll try.

1. No matter how dirty my electricity was on that day, your ice car using fuel was worse. I actually did charging from solar on many occasions. Can you do that in your ice? Regarding production. As I said before no matter how dirty it was, your ice is worse in its lifetime. But here is a mostly green production vehicle, bmw i3
2. Large family. Tesla makes SUV for you. How large is large for you? Most ice cars have same capacity as ev or less.
3. Towing a jetski. Good for you. Sell the jetski and save some money or, here is some Tesla towing for you

1) fair enough but the cobalt mined for your batteries or the nickel is not environmentally friendly not to mention the human rights violations. Nor is the by products of said mining https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable ... -batteries

2) Sure Tesla does make an SUV ... at about 100k. A Nissan Rogue starts at a 5th of that and a bigger SUV like a Pathfinder starts at around 30k depending on how many seats you really want. Available yes, financially feasible no....

3) Once again Tesla can do it but not at that price point. I can buy an SUV a Truck and a Car for the price of one Tesla
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9158 posts
2541 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
NoPistons wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:00 pm
1) fair enough but the cobalt mined for your batteries or the nickel is not environmentally friendly not to mention the human rights violations. Nor is the by products of said mining https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable ... -batteries

2) Sure Tesla does make an SUV ... at about 100k. A Nissan Rogue starts at a 5th of that and a bigger SUV like a Pathfinder starts at around 30k depending on how many seats you really want. Available yes, financially feasible no....

3) Once again Tesla can do it but not at that price point. I can buy an SUV a Truck and a Car for the price of one Tesla
1. Nothing else to add

2. Yes, more expensive for Tesla. Most families should be able to fit in a Leaf or comparable ev. Btw rogue drives like garbage, had to drive it once, absolutely atrocious.

3. Want cheaper option. Sell your jetski, get affordable electric (leaf, golf, soul, etc) and with all money saved you should be able to rent jetski as much as you like. Bonus, no hassle of towing, loading, unloading. Most people do not tow btw. I never towed anything in my life.
Jun 1, 2017
219 posts
139 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:17 pm
1. Nothing else to add

2. Yes, more expensive for Tesla. Most families should be able to fit in a Leaf or comparable ev. Btw rogue drives like garbage, had to drive it once, absolutely atrocious.

3. Want cheaper option. Sell your jetski, get affordable electric (leaf, golf, soul, etc) and with all money saved you should be able to rent jetski as much as you like. Bonus, no hassle of towing, loading, unloading. Most people do not tow btw. I never towed anything in my life.
1) Its typical GreenWashing, Manufacturers like to tell you its green and eco which it may very well be for the consumer at the end of its trip from the plant but don't see them advertising how bad it is to be mining this minerals and the left over slag from producing these minerals to be used in a typical EV battery.

2) Ridiculously expensive for a Tesla. Most families you would agree upon is 2 Adults and 2 children right ? Which means two rear facing or forward facing seats which are bulky (if you have kids you know) and you have one spare seat in the middle which in my Rogue gets used quite frequently. PLUS you now need a double stroller or two strollers to fit in your trunk, diaper bags, groceries any misc supplies you pick up on the way and then you start to realize that there are not many EV's that can fit all that at a reasonable average Canadian price point.

3) Whats the point of selling it to get a smaller car that will not fit an average family with young children. Dont tell me a golf can fit two strollers and two full size car seats, i have been in a rental Kia Soul and there was barely room for one stroller in the trunk. Leaf i would imagine is the same size as a golf and bigger than a Soul.

Depends on where you are, a lot of people tow just depends on what, small trailer, small boat, big boat (neighbor has a large pontoon boat) but the electric car cannot fulfill all the needs of the consumer

EDIT: Max interior cargo room for a new Leaf is 30cu/ft and a Rogue is 70cu/ft as per Nissans own website. Not very family friendly.
Apr 24, 2017
218 posts
96 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 1:42 pm
What an exciting Friday night for Skeeter and Bubba. Beyond dumb. I don’t have an issue with ICE vehicles and I bought the model 3. I have an issue with the mentally flaccid.
Jan 19, 2010
274 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
NoPistons wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:34 pm
3) Whats the point of selling it to get a smaller car that will not fit an average family with young children. Dont tell me a golf can fit two strollers and two full size car seats, i have been in a rental Kia Soul and there was barely room for one stroller in the trunk. Leaf i would imagine is the same size as a golf and bigger than a Soul.
Own a 2017 CRV and a 2018 Leaf. We basically never use the CRV anymore because we have free gas with the Leaf. Fits our needs as a family with 2 children. Just got back from Collingwood, and again we took the leaf due to lower cost.

The point is for the majority of cases the Leaf works for a family. Does it work for everyone, no. My brother owns an F350, and F250. He envy's the Leaf every single time he goes to the pump and drops $ 150.
Jun 1, 2017
219 posts
139 upvotes
fromano wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:42 pm
Own a 2017 CRV and a 2018 Leaf. We basically never use the CRV anymore because we have free gas with the Leaf. Fits our needs as a family with 2 children. Just got back from Collingwood, and again we took the leaf due to lower cost.

The point is for the majority of cases the Leaf works for a family. Does it work for everyone, no. My brother owns an F350, and F250. He envy's the Leaf every single time he goes to the pump and drops $ 150.
I would like to see this magical Leaf ( lol get it ) with enough trunk room for two strollers, that is if your kids are not walking yet.

I really do want to see someone posting a picture of a full Leaf ( all seats filled with a butt ) with the two children's seats groceries and two strollers in the trunk with no food or stuff in the passenger compartment.

Not that im saying it doesn't work for you but damn that is a tight fit
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1939 posts
999 upvotes
Toronto
NoPistons wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:45 pm
I would like to see this magical Leaf ( lol get it ) with enough trunk room for two strollers, that is if your kids are not walking yet.

I really do want to see someone posting a picture of a full Leaf ( all seats filled with a butt ) with the two children's seats groceries and two strollers in the trunk with no food or stuff in the passenger compartment.

Not that im saying it doesn't work for you but damn that is a tight fit
Dude you need a mini van not a Leaf!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Jan 19, 2010
274 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
NoPistons wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:45 pm
Unless you have twins, for 99% of families you don't need two strollers as at least one of the children should be walking. If your children are otherwise close in age, there are many collaposable strollers that fit two kids and also fit a compact trunk.

Example in the older (less roomy) Leaf:
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11000 posts
1501 upvotes
RFD
some1not wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:50 pm
Dude you need a mini van not a Leaf!
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid fits the bill and won a bunch of awards.
Jun 1, 2017
219 posts
139 upvotes
fromano wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:52 pm

Unless you have twins, for 99% of families you don't need two strollers as at least one of the children should be walking. If your children are otherwise close in age, there are many collaposable strollers that fit two kids and also fit a compact trunk.

Example in the older (less roomy) Leaf:
Well i guess you COULD fit everything into a Leaf i cant imagine it would be the best of fitment because sure you could put the stroller sideways but what about the groceries still? Usually i go shopping with my wife and kids or possibly sometimes my sister in law as well at the same time and its quite spacious in the Rogue, fold the stroller to the side so it sits flush against the one side and groceries on the other or use the divide and hide system and make levels for stuff, i dont know if the new Leaf has that.

I mean you COULD fit everything into a Micra but would you want to....

radeonboy wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:54 pm
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid fits the bill and won a bunch of awards.
Heard bad things about the Pacifica on other threads, stating that its the worst in quality. The Rogue does come in hybrid .... in the west coast US lol .... shame i guess it didnt sell well up here
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22144 posts
8783 upvotes
Ottawa
benjicash wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:42 pm
What an exciting Friday night for Skeeter and Bubba. Beyond dumb. I don’t have an issue with ICE vehicles and I bought the model 3. I have an issue with the mentally flaccid.
I don't have an issue with BEVs either and had a reservation on the Model 3, until I realized $60k+ got me a nice SUV.
Jun 1, 2017
219 posts
139 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 10:22 pm
I don't have an issue with BEVs either and had a reservation on the Model 3, until I realized $60k+ got me a nice SUV.

Pathfinder/micra and a boat.
Rogue/jetski/snow mobile/micra
Endless ways to spend 60k over a Tesla and be much happier.

Pathfinder/micra/ and a nice vacation for your wife and you

6 Micra's to start your own racing series
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9158 posts
2541 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
NoPistons wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 10:24 pm
Pathfinder/micra and a boat.
Rogue/jetski/snow mobile/micra
Endless ways to spend 60k over a Tesla and be much happier.

Pathfinder/micra/ and a nice vacation for your wife and you

6 Micra's to start your own racing series
Pitching in the destruction of the planet for YOUR own kids, priceless

On a series note. I'd take 2 Leafs or one Tesla over that pile of junk you listed.
Jun 1, 2017
219 posts
139 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 10:30 pm
Pitching in the destruction of the planet for YOUR own kids, priceless

On a series note. I'd take 2 Leafs or one Tesla over that pile of junk you listed.
Eh says you ? Do you buy cellphones? Do you use Hydro? Do you eat all natural home grown food yourself? Its funny how you forget everything you buy is bad for the environment in one way or another, But you can make yourself feel better buy buying a car....

I rather take junk then an over-priced status symbol, they are like the Apple of the auto world.

I would rather take 100 "junk" cars over a Tesla