This is why I'm boycotting Mexico

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 12:37 pm
[OP]
Sep 19, 2019
26 posts
11 upvotes

This is why I'm boycotting Mexico

This is why I decided a few years ago to boycott any travel or holidays to Mexico. If the local cops can't even bother to do a proper murder investigation because the victim is a foreigner then its time for a boycott. Add to that Mexico has turned into a narco-State and the country is one step away from turning into a complete civil war, and its time to stop going there

https://www.thestar.com/news/investigat ... eared.html
34 replies
May 16, 2017
773 posts
778 upvotes
Corruption and incompetence from Mexican Police!!! Wow, that was news about - well - forever ago.

If you are going to boycott a country because of police issues, then that list will be a lot longer than Mexico and would include most every country in the "developing" world and a few in the "developed" world in places like former-communist regimes in Eastern Europe and any country with severe economic issues.

But - Mexico is a dangerous place, and I wouldn't wander outside of a gated, resort community.
[OP]
Sep 19, 2019
26 posts
11 upvotes
robsaw wrote:
Nov 29th, 2019 12:32 pm
Corruption and incompetence from Mexican Police!!! Wow, that was news about - well - forever ago
Mexico has gotten a lot worse over the last 10 years or so though.
Panama is still my favourite vacation spot
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1750 posts
81 upvotes
Bubblegum86 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2019 11:23 am
Cant read it, can you copy it in here?
Open the link in incognito mode and press Esc right after it loads. Refresh and press Esc again and again if it doesn't work. You need to press Esc at the right time.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5773 posts
846 upvotes
robsaw wrote:
Nov 29th, 2019 12:32 pm
Corruption and incompetence from Mexican Police!!! Wow, that was news about - well - forever ago.

If you are going to boycott a country because of police issues, then that list will be a lot longer than Mexico and would include most every country in the "developing" world and a few in the "developed" world in places like former-communist regimes in Eastern Europe and any country with severe economic issues.

But - Mexico is a dangerous place, and I wouldn't wander outside of a gated, resort community.
When’s the last time you went and where? We’ve been three times, never stayed in a resort and it wasn’t dangerous at all. Why wouldn’t you wander in cities like Oaxaca City, Guanajuato, Morelia, San Miguel de Allende, the Huasteca potosina region, etc. etc?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1072 posts
154 upvotes
Calgary
I've been to Mexico City in the summer. Never felt unsafe. Exercise common travel precautions and you'll be okay.

Must suck to live your life in constant fear.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3319 posts
1045 upvotes
Ottawa
amz155 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2019 5:04 pm
When’s the last time you went and where? We’ve been three times, never stayed in a resort and it wasn’t dangerous at all. Why wouldn’t you wander in cities like Oaxaca City, Guanajuato, Morelia, San Miguel de Allende, the Huasteca potosina region, etc. etc?
We're going back to Guanajuato in January, have been to many cities in Mexico and taking normal travel precautions, felt quite safe. I would not travel to Florida or many other US locations for safety reasons. It's sad that people become afraid, and miss out on so much! Merida, for example, is a fascinating city - we've been 3 times - and unless someone is going to Mexico to lie on a beach and drink, there is so much to see and do! It helps that my husband speaks Spanish.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5773 posts
846 upvotes
OttawaGardener wrote:
Nov 30th, 2019 7:46 am
We're going back to Guanajuato in January, have been to many cities in Mexico and taking normal travel precautions, felt quite safe. I would not travel to Florida or many other US locations for safety reasons. It's sad that people become afraid, and miss out on so much! Merida, for example, is a fascinating city - we've been 3 times - and unless someone is going to Mexico to lie on a beach and drink, there is so much to see and do! It helps that my husband speaks Spanish.
For many years now, my folks spend the winters in FLA. They’ve been there a couple weeks now. They’ve never had safety concerns or thought about selling their place and bailing. That being said, I’d choose Guanajuato over Florida EVERY TIME. I’ve never gone down to visit them because the area doesn’t appeal to us at all and I often can’t get over why they’re okay with going to THAT state Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 2, 2010
11 posts
4 upvotes
Ontario Canada
I've been going to Mexico for about 15 yrs and have always felt safe there, but then I never go down dark alleys, dont flash my cash or cheap jewelry, dont wander alone at night. I use the same caution as I do at home.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1336 posts
285 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
funkynassau wrote:
Nov 30th, 2019 1:22 pm
I've been going to Mexico for about 15 yrs and have always felt safe there, but then I never go down dark alleys, dont flash my cash or cheap jewelry, dont wander alone at night. I use the same caution as I do at home.
yes to all that. We've been to several different places in Mexico (Huatulco, the Mayan Riviera, Puerto Vallarta and mostly La Penita/Rincon de Guayabitos) and felt safe everywhere we went.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7770 posts
1841 upvotes
Mississauga
DHWestview wrote:
Nov 29th, 2019 9:10 am
This is why I decided a few years ago to boycott any travel or holidays to Mexico. If the local cops can't even bother to do a proper murder investigation because the victim is a foreigner then its time for a boycott. Add to that Mexico has turned into a narco-State and the country is one step away from turning into a complete civil war, and its time to stop going there

https://www.thestar.com/news/investigat ... eared.html
Welcome to the real world.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)