Cell Phones

Why are iPhones so much faster than even the fastest android phones?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 12:27 am
[OP]
Banned
Sep 13, 2017
42 posts
69 upvotes

Why are iPhones so much faster than even the fastest android phones?

Image

Look at the above, even the fastest android phones using the snapdragon 835 top out at 1900 points. (The iPad Air 2 was released in 2014!!!!) Apple's processors can now go double that, and that is not even including the soon to be released iPhone 8 and iPhone X, which will increase the lead even further! It is so bad for android phones now that they don't even use Geekbench to benchmark their phones anymore because iPhones just obliterate them now, so that is why they are using android only benchmarks like AnTuTu which try to hide the weakness of the Android phones (since AnTuTu won't make it so their software will run on iPhones to save themselves the embarassment).

So why have android phones that are so slow? They have always been slower than iPhones and are getting a free pass when it comes to criticism from the specs department. That is not right.
Amazing Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 smartphone owner

Did you know wut evil happened on September 11, 2001?
146 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 9, 2003
16686 posts
377 upvotes
Apps are more efficient on iPhones as they have less os segmentation to worry about.

Your post sounds like you are trying to reinforce something rather than examine that though...
[OP]
Banned
Sep 13, 2017
42 posts
69 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 2:47 pm
Apps are more efficient on iPhones as they have less os segmentation to worry about.

Your post sounds like you are trying to reinforce something rather than examine that though...
This has nothing do with that. I am talking about geekbench, you can run the geekbench 4 test on an iPhone and any android phone and even the best android phones will top out at about 1900 points, while iPhones doing the same test will go to 3332 points (iPhone 7 plus) and the upcoming iPhone 8 and iPhone X will be even FASTER.

but way to try to deflect the conversation, either that or you have no clue what you are talking about when running a benchmark; that is an identical test where each phone does the same work to determine which one is faster.
Amazing Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 smartphone owner

Did you know wut evil happened on September 11, 2001?
Sr. Member
Oct 14, 2015
596 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Because numbers aren't everything. Android is as optimized as ever and modern CPU's are more than fast enough to do all the tasks. Sure, I agree that Apple has massive single cores, but it comes to use only when you are doing unusual stuff like rendering 4K videos.
Also, Apple has no competition in the SoC business (they use it only on their devices). If you don't like iOS, you are stuck with Qualcomm, Samsung etc. So, its irrelevant for the Android users even if A12 scores 6000 single core because it will stay inside the Apple "Garden".
Galaxy S7 with Koodo $46 3GB plan
Zoomer $40.5 2GB plan
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 9, 2003
16686 posts
377 upvotes
AdvadD wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 2:51 pm
This has nothing do with that. I am talking about geekbench, you can run the geekbench 4 test on an iPhone and any android phone and even the best android phones will top out at about 1900 points, while iPhones doing the same test will go to 3332 points (iPhone 7 plus) and the upcoming iPhone 8 and iPhone X will be even FASTER.

but way to try to deflect the conversation, either that or you have no clue what you are talking about when running a benchmark; that is an identical test where each phone does the same work to determine which one is faster.
Easy there Mr grumpy gills.

And yes, some benchmarks are more biased to certain hardware. But hey, who cares about logic.

And it also does boil down significantly to os segmentation. Not exclusively, but it certainly does.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 13, 2017
42 posts
69 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 2:57 pm
Easy there Mr grumpy gills.

And yes, some benchmarks are more biased to certain hardware. But hey, who cares about logic.

And it also does boil down significantly to os segmentation. Not exclusively, but it certainly does.
No need for personal attacks when you made a clueless mistake, next time learn before you type and all will be forgiven.

Again, you are not understanding, I dont care about the os fragmentation in general, only because that has nothing to do with this particular topic, we are talking about ONE app, called geekbench 4 and it seems when android phone runs it, even their best phones can barely beat a 3 year old iPad Air 2 in the same race. OS fragmentation has nothing to do with that.
Amazing Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 smartphone owner

Did you know wut evil happened on September 11, 2001?
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
AdvadD wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 2:43 pm
Image

Look at the above, even the fastest android phones using the snapdragon 835 top out at 1900 points. (The iPad Air 2 was released in 2014!!!!) Apple's processors can now go double that, and that is not even including the soon to be released iPhone 8 and iPhone X, which will increase the lead even further! It is so bad for android phones now that they don't even use Geekbench to benchmark their phones anymore because iPhones just obliterate them now, so that is why they are using android only benchmarks like AnTuTu which try to hide the weakness of the Android phones (since AnTuTu won't make it so their software will run on iPhones to save themselves the embarassment).

So why have android phones that are so slow? They have always been slower than iPhones and are getting a free pass when it comes to criticism from the specs department. That is not right.
Yet iPhones can't have cameras as fast as Samsung phones...weird

Worse yet...iPhones charge so slow even with fast processor?

I don't know what they're doing with their processor when it can't use it for a faster camera and still charge so slow
[OP]
Banned
Sep 13, 2017
42 posts
69 upvotes
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 3:12 pm
Yet iPhones can't have cameras as fast as Samsung phones...weird

Worse yet...iPhones charge so slow even with fast processor?

I don't know what they're doing with their processor when it can't use it for a faster camera and still charge so slow
That doesn't explain why Apple CPUs are more than twice as fast as the fastest snapdragon CPUs, which is what we are discussing now. If you want to talk about camera speed or charging speed you can make your own thread.
Amazing Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 smartphone owner

Did you know wut evil happened on September 11, 2001?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
1126 posts
72 upvotes
Here
Where are the Android phone on the list? or are they that far down the list? Smiling Face With Open MouthFace With Tears Of JoyAstonished Face
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 9, 2003
16686 posts
377 upvotes
AdvadD wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 3:01 pm
No need for personal attacks when you made a clueless mistake, next time learn before you type and all will be forgiven.

Again, you are not understanding, I dont care about the os fragmentation in general, only because that has nothing to do with this particular topic, we are talking about ONE app, called geekbench 4 and it seems when android phone runs it, even their best phones can barely beat a 3 year old iPad Air 2 in the same race. OS fragmentation has nothing to do with that.
Yes it does but it's really not worth the time...

Pull some benchmarks marks in real apps then compare. See if the difference is so drastic.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7463 posts
2415 upvotes
ON
Not knowing much about the architecture, If I had to guess, I would say it's because apple (at least in the latest chip) has a 6-core processor with 2 large cores and 4 little ones.
Contrasted with the SD835 you mentioned, it has 4 large cores and 4 little ones.

Should the benchmark not be able to divide and use all cores to full potential, the A11 would likely win out for pure performance if those two cores are faster than two of the 835 cores.
It would be similar to the intel vs ryzen debates of late in the PC world - intel cores are slightly faster on their own, but you get double the number on ryzen.
Using only 2 or 4 cores and comparing intel to ryzen, intel will win. But anything that needs more cores and can be multithreaded or processes divided will be far faster on the ryzen simply because you have double the processing potential.

I would suggest a similar situation is likely at play here.
i.e. mostly just a benchmark number, but in real life there won't be too much difference except in very specific circumstances. (apple one process with higher power would win over snapdragon vs snapdragon several multitasking apps would win over apple)
Pure speculation on my part, without digging deeper into the specs of each chip more.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 13, 2017
42 posts
69 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 3:39 pm
Not knowing much about the architecture, If I had to guess, I would say it's because apple (at least in the latest chip) has a 6-core processor with 2 large cores and 4 little ones.
Contrasted with the SD835 you mentioned, it has 4 large cores and 4 little ones.

Should the benchmark not be able to divide and use all cores to full potential, the A11 would likely win out for pure performance if those two cores are faster than two of the 835 cores.
It would be similar to the intel vs ryzen debates of late in the PC world - intel cores are slightly faster on their own, but you get double the number on ryzen.
Using only 2 or 4 cores and comparing intel to ryzen, intel will win. But anything that needs more cores and can be multithreaded or processes divided will be far faster on the ryzen simply because you have double the processing potential.

I would suggest a similar situation is likely at play here.
i.e. mostly just a benchmark number, but in real life there won't be too much difference except in very specific circumstances. (apple one process with higher power would win over snapdragon vs snapdragon several multitasking apps would win over apple)
Pure speculation on my part, without digging deeper into the specs of each chip more.
The scores above are all single core benchmarks. Lets face it, multicore CPUs on smartphones don't mean anything in the real world usage. Android phones typically heavily promote their multicore scores because

1) they get beaten so badly on the single core scores (where it matters)
2) qualcomm engineers can't design a good fast single core CPU, so they resort to stuffing inferior CPUs into groups and just promote their multicore score instead and hope no one would notice the problem with that.
Amazing Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 smartphone owner

Did you know wut evil happened on September 11, 2001?
[OP]
Banned
Sep 13, 2017
42 posts
69 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 3:33 pm
Yes it does but it's really not worth the time...

Pull some benchmarks marks in real apps then compare. See if the difference is so drastic.
That is what a loser of a race says when they try to convince themselves that it is not so bad that they lost. You are wrong because lets say even if the difference is not so drastic, if we compare with all things being equal a faster CPU will always be a faster CPU.
Amazing Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 smartphone owner

Did you know wut evil happened on September 11, 2001?
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
AdvadD wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 3:23 pm
That doesn't explain why Apple CPUs are more than twice as fast as the fastest snapdragon CPUs, which is what we are discussing now. If you want to talk about camera speed or charging speed you can make your own thread.
I'm asking what are they using their"faster" processor for and why can't it be used for functionality

It's like having 600hp but be slower than a beige Corolla

So iPhone with faster processor is slower for the user except for performing benchmark
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
3904 posts
791 upvotes
Halifax
a lot of these benchmarks mean crap all. there are many other factors, such as how the code is being used. if the code is bloated, they need faster CPU... Iphone use to have to do a lot of trickery to make them appear faster and less glitchy. I still find the exact same 2 apps, much faster on Android than iPhone. Even older androids compared to the latest iPhone.

You can almost think of this. a 600 hp car vs 300 hp truck. You think the car is better, right? But what if you are trying to tow 3,000 lb worth of stuff? That big fancy 600 hp is now useless, and the 300 hp truck will be miles ahead of the 600 hp car.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

dealfinder85