Cell Phones

Why are iPhones so much faster than even the fastest android phones?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 12:27 am
Jul 30, 2017
86 posts
15 upvotes
Also, all of these videos being linked are using Note 8's, and Samsung's Android skin has a reputation for incurring a performance hit (although it is hardly a real problem of any kind on the S8/Note 8 generation). if the tests were comparing say the OnePlus 5 or the Pixel 2 to the iPhone X, Android would likely perform slightly better still.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26204 posts
6065 upvotes
GTHA
PhoneBuff’s iPhone X vs. Galaxy Note 8 Speed Test Video

PhoneBuff’s tests consist of opening a series of apps once, then reopening them to test multitasking capabilities in a timed circuit. The Note 8 won by 22 seconds.
Apr 15, 2009
42 posts
13 upvotes
toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:04 am
PhoneBuff’s iPhone X vs. Galaxy Note 8 Speed Test Video

PhoneBuff’s tests consist of opening a series of apps once, then reopening them to test multitasking capabilities in a timed circuit. The Note 8 won by 22 seconds.
I didn't watch the video but I bet that Note starts running away in the second round? That would be due to enough RAM memory to keep them all loaded compared to the Iphone X. ( which has less)
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4171 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
mstefa wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:40 pm
I didn't watch the video but I bet that Note starts running away in the second round? That would be due to enough RAM memory to keep them all loaded compared to the Iphone X. ( which has less)
I do not get it. It appears to me that iPhones run faster with faster CPU all around. Yet the flagship Android excel in multitasking as the latter have more RAM. RAMs I trust are a lot less expensive than faster CPU .
Why would the design team of the fruity company be so stingy with cheaper RAMs?
My cheapo Android (under US$200) runs fast with 4 Gb of RAM even with many tabs opened for 3 browsers.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Apr 15, 2009
42 posts
13 upvotes
toronto
Ram uses lots of power, drains battery quicker.
So, Apple is taking advantage of their hardware /software integration and optimization to achieve similar or better results ( depending on use scenario)
Android doesn’t have that option, so vendors compensate with more hardware.
Also, keeps hardware cost lower.
Jan 29, 2013
651 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:03 pm
Battery life.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4171 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
hvwozq wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:44 pm
Really? Battery life? Not Apple's greed? Just go take a look at their MacBook Pro pricing. It costs $240 extra to get 16 GB instead of 8 GB RAM at 2133MHz.
8 Gb of RAM comes up to $240 difference
Huh pure profit. Plain and simple
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4171 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Such high profit margin actually contributes to the popularity of the fruity brand. It can provide relatively lenient warranty repair or (no question asked) direct replacement which has the effect of reinforcing its marketabiltiy. With that the brand has the lock of loyal crowd (IMO). Android devices have not had such advantage (or disadvantage).
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Jul 30, 2017
86 posts
15 upvotes
I am not buying the battery life argument as to why Apple can't include more RAM.

The S8+ has 4 GB of RAM and a 3500 MaH battery
The Note 8 has 6 GB of RAM and a 3300 MaH battery

Yet, despite having the same CPU, a larger screen, the extra S-Pen features to power, 2 GB more RAM and 200 mAH less battery size, most tests of the S8+ vs Note 8 show similar battery longevity performance. This suggests that either the extra RAM doesn't really make that much difference to battery usage or that it's entirely possible to optimize the software to mitigate the extra power drain. This suggests that Apple very easily could go to 6 GB of RAM if they wanted to and put in the effort. Not only that, but the iPhone X is a similar physical size to Android devices that have 3200 - 4000 mAH batteries. The iPhone X only has 2716 mAH. They should very easily have the room to put a larger battery to offset any power consumption from more RAM. They don't because they are cheap and lazy and figure that more people will look at useless synthetic CPU benchmarks than realistic real world performance tests.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2987 posts
224 upvotes
Apple doesn't believe the average iPhone user needs 4GB yet, that's about it. You can get enough of the iOS experience with the current ram size.

This is the same question as why don't they make a power users version of the phone with a thicker chassis to include more battery and a flush rear camera... they don't believe the users need it...

With that said, most users are never going to cycle through apps this fast and even if they did, a couple of additional seconds to launch an app is hardly cause for concern.
I'm no defender of Apple, I find that a lot of these speed tests represent the 0.001% of power users\Benchmarkers that still end up using an iPhone as their primary phone but will run benchmarks to discourage people.

I'm skipping the X because I find the price a tad ridiculous. However, if I was looking in this price range, these tests would be the very last thing I would ever look at in terms of use case to decide whether I want an X or not.

We're already at the point where SOC speed is starting to take a backseat. The speed discussion is mostly moot at this point.

Cheers,
danieltoronto wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:03 pm
I do not get it. It appears to me that iPhones run faster with faster CPU all around. Yet the flagship Android excel in multitasking as the latter have more RAM. RAMs I trust are a lot less expensive than faster CPU .
My cheapo Android (under US$200) runs fast with 4 Gb of RAM even with many tabs opened for 3 browsers.