Cell Phones

Why are iPhones so much faster than even the fastest android phones?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 12:27 am
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27014 posts
1726 upvotes
Winnipeg
Cress wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 7:04 pm
Hummmm,
let's throw some oil on the fire: iPhone 8 VS Note 8 speed test...

I'm not biased towards either btw but this is an interesting turn of events nonetheless...

Cheers,

Edit: fixed format
this reminds me that back in the single core day where all the OEM advertise heavily focused on cpu speed, mhz. all the flyers have the mhz splashed across in bigger fonts, and everything else is garbage, especially ram. pretty typical to see a high ghz number only comes with 2 gb of ram back then. This is what happens with the iphone, they have beefy processor but have less ram than android devices so it is faster to run app when you only have 1 or 2 running but gets bottle necked by ram in multi-tasking.
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4171 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
divx wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 4:05 am
this reminds me that back in the single core day where all the OEM advertise heavily focused on cpu speed, mhz. all the flyers have the mhz splashed across in bigger fonts, and everything else is garbage, especially ram.
8086, 80286, 80386, Pentium 1 , Pentium 2.......
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7799 posts
1878 upvotes
Brampton
If only the Apple would stop being so damn cheap with how much RAM they put in their devices.
If only Android wasn't so damn hamstrung by having QC as the only major SoC builder. Or c'mon QC Support NVMe already.

I understand why Apple limits how much RAM they install
Battery life and Planned obsolesce but c'monnnnnn
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5043 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 4:23 pm
If only the Apple would stop being so damn cheap with how much RAM they put in their devices.
If only Android wasn't so damn hamstrung by having QC as the only major SoC builder. Or c'mon QC Support NVMe already.

or cost ... its not like they beefed up their new models right away.
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5043 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
Since Androids are hampered by JVM architecture - if you do compare Camera , Galaxy is ahead of iPhone X.

I just did a comparison and iPhone X is similar to Galaxy S7.

Sharpness: Same
Colors: S7 are slightly more accurate but negligible differences
Dynamic Range: S7 is still definitely better. If you take same pic with dark and bright sunlight - the highlights were blown and less details in dark areas. On day to day it will not be a difference but if you are analyzing it - you see the difference. Plus, Samsing camera app is better than anything else I have used.
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4171 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Is this thread done once when people/forum members look into the real life performance (not benchmark) of both camps?
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14110 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 7:17 am
Is this thread done once when people/forum members look into the real life performance (not benchmark) of both camps?
You mean like OS lag? Apple does even better here, because Apple spends a lot of time optimizing the UI to make it appear fast.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15640 posts
4390 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
This year I was seriously considering switching to android/Samsung for the first time since the iPhone 2G came out. In the end i couldn’t do it because I’m too invested in the Apple ecosystem.

Also the absolute shit way that Samsung handled that note 8 empty box fiasco has soured me on the brand. It’ll be a long time before I ever buy anything Samsung again, unless it’s a ridiculous deal that I can’t pass up.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14110 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 9:40 am
Also the absolute shit way that Samsung handled that note 8 empty box fiasco has soured me on the brand.
What happened?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15640 posts
4390 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
EugW wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 10:41 am
What happened?
Like at least 5 rfder received empty note 8 boxes from Samsung. Looking like an internal theft ring from within the Samsung warehouse but it hasn’t been proven yet

In any event, Samsung made these poor bastards wait weeks to get a resolution and after tons of effort going between Samsung and purolator they gave them the option of a new note 8 or a refund. One guy asked for a discount due to all the trouble (which is MORE than justified) and they told him to go pound sand.

F that. They aren’t getting my business
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4171 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
EugW wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 9:29 am
You mean like OS lag? Apple does even better here, because Apple spends a lot of time optimizing the UI to make it appear fast.
Does it just spend times (your word) in creating the impression that it runs faster?
Did you mean to be just sarcastic? The fact it spent time does not mean it succeeds.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5013 posts
790 upvotes
GTA
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 11:17 am
Like at least 5 rfder received empty note 8 boxes from Samsung. Looking like an internal theft ring from within the Samsung warehouse but it hasn’t been proven yet

In any event, Samsung made these poor bastards wait weeks to get a resolution and after tons of effort going between Samsung and purolator they gave them the option of a new note 8 or a refund. One guy asked for a discount due to all the trouble (which is MORE than justified) and they told him to go pound sand.

F that. They aren’t getting my business
I don't know about vendors like HTC but samsung and lg are nowhere as good as Apple when it comes to customer satisfaction. Those companies are similar (Samsung & LG) with their support and rma on other devices besides mobiles as well.

We Shall Never Forget 7/08 '14
We Shall Never Forget 8/19 '11

Toilet Paper Calculations Thread
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2987 posts
223 upvotes
The information in this post was true of Java 15 to 20 years ago, it's far from true today.

Java has had JIT (Just In Time) compilation a very long time. This allows compilation of frequently executed instructions into machine code for specific micro processor architectures that it's running on.
Along with that, Android no longer uses the Dalvik runtime since I believe Froyo, it uses ART which uses Ahead of time compilation to achieve what JIT does at a much higher scale, basically translates during install so you don't have to do it at runtime.
Combine this with very advanced JVM memory management these days and the overall effect is a lot less than how people make it out to be. Java can be tuned to run extremely efficiently and extremely fast as you can see on pure Google devices.
The real reason why the iPhones run faster comes down to Apple not loading iPhones up with garbage software hogging critical resources and pushing the OS to struggle.
One way Android manufacturers deal with this is to throw lots of memory at it. Apple uses reference counting for iOS (used to anyways last I check a couple of years ago, could be different now :), more efficient than typical Java mark and sweep (or other) type garbage collections. Combined that with Apple not running garbage skins and what not and you get to run iOS with less ram than Android machines for the most part.
There's a reason why the Pixel 2 has 4GB of ram compared to 6 or even 8 for some other Android manufacturers.

At the current speeds of the Snapdragon 835 and the A11, most day to day apps are going to be a wash between something like a Pixel and an iPhone. When you get to raw computational things like 4k video exports or 4K 60 FPS then there will be a visible difference.

Apple isn't working out magic here, it's just that Android is being hurt by bloatware... same thing we had with PCs 5 to 10 years ago... they came preloaded with all sorts of bloatware...

With that said, watch this... of course take the videos and use your own experience...

I run both Android and iOS btw, not biased towards either.

Cheers,
mstefa wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 10:13 pm
It's amazing to me that nobody mentioned the first, original reason why. No developers in house?

The main reason for the huge performance hit between Android and iOS is that Android HAS to rely upon another virtual layer called the JVM (Java Virtual Machine) in order to execute Java bytecode into native C/C++ code the LLVM can then finally process into machine/binary code, whereas iOS code is already on Objective-C/Swift, it only has to pass that code onto the LLVM (which then churns out machine/binary code) so the middle man of the JVM is completely cut out, hence the speed bottleneck.
In layman terms, IOS talks to CPU directly, while Android goes through translation every time before reaching CPU. This will never change simply due to choice of programming language Google chose.
In addition IOS was build with touch in mind so User interface interaction has the highest priority in execution over anything else. Early androids ( not sure if and when did they catch up ) were build for a keyboard and quickly rebuilt to include UI. Hence, the execution sometimes had to wait for another process to complete. Of course these are all in milliseconds, but you do notice the difference when so many things are happening at once. ( refreshing the screen, running apps in background, talking to cell tower, wifi , bluetooth etc..)
IOS drops everything and dedicates itself to touch. ( very simplified)
Oct 14, 2015
595 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tebore wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 4:23 pm

UFS 2.1 storage have similar speeds to NVMe storage.
Also, Apple believes they can optimize their OS for their hardware and thus save money on components. Simple logic. They invest more in CPU, save money on screen, RAM, recycled design etc.
Galaxy S7 with Koodo $46 3GB plan
Zoomer $40.5 2GB plan
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14110 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 11:59 am
Does it just spend times (your word) in creating the impression that it runs faster?
Did you mean to be just sarcastic? The fact it spent time does not mean it succeeds.
No, not being sarcastic. iOS’ design is willing to prioritize OS feel over app performance. And yes it works, to make iOS feel faster, even in cases where it isn’t actually faster. This was in fact something essentially acknowledged by a Google themselves, when they introduced Project Butter.

However, in many cases, iOS is indeed actually faster as well, since it has uber fast SoCs, that are specifically custom designed for iPhones and iPads, working in conjunction with very well optimized software, and in an environment with less bloatware.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)