Cell Phones

Why are iPhones so much faster than even the fastest android phones?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 12:27 am
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4189 posts
473 upvotes
NORTH YORK
EugW wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 6:56 am
iOS is indeed actually faster as well, since it has uber fast SoCs, that are specifically custom designed for iPhones and iPads,
That is same old argument in the old days when marketing hype was centering on the speed of CPU. The rest of the hardwares does not matter.
There are many examples to show that jacking up CPU speed does not result in proportional improvement in real life response.
Putting in a 500 HP engine in a Skoda does not help at all
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14117 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 10:46 am
That is same old argument in the old days when marketing hype was centering on the speed of CPU. The rest of the hardwares does not matter.
There are many examples to show that jacking up CPU speed does not result in proportional improvement in real life response.
Putting in a 500 HP engine in a Skoda does not help at all
You asked a question. I answered it. Your odd car analogy doesn’t really apply here. And I note you didn’t bother to quote the first half of that post which already suggested raw speed isn’t everything. Hell, you didn’t even quote the entire thought for the second paragraph, and intentionally left out some of the very pertinent qualifiers.

The bottom line is that there are many reasons why iPhones have traditionally done better than Android phones in terms of speed, from multiple measures. This does not by any means mean iPhones are faster in everything but in many performance measures they are indeed faster, and my other point was that even when they are not actually faster they may feel faster due to Apple’s emphasis on perceived speed as well.

For the others, I’ll quote my entire post:
EugW wrote:
No, not being sarcastic. iOS’ design is willing to prioritize OS feel over app performance. And yes it works, to make iOS feel faster, even in cases where it isn’t actually faster. This was in fact something essentially acknowledged by a Google themselves, when they introduced Project Butter.

However, in many cases, iOS is indeed actually faster as well, since it has uber fast SoCs, that are specifically custom designed for iPhones and iPads, working in conjunction with very well optimized software, and in an environment with less bloatware.
Bolded was the selective quoting.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
With my experience with iPhone x, this is not the case, how is it possible the iPhone x is laggy brand new ?

From research, apparently ios11 is to blame. Too bad I was hoping the iPhone x would really push the performance but it's even laggier than a s8?
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
EugW wrote:
No, not being sarcastic. iOS’ design is willing to prioritize OS feel over app performance. And yes it works, to make iOS feel faster, even in cases where it isn’t actually faster. This was in fact something essentially acknowledged by a Google themselves, when they introduced Project Butter.

However, in many cases, iOS is indeed actually faster as well, since it has uber fast SoCs, that are specifically custom designed for iPhones and iPads, working in conjunction with very well optimized software, and in an environment with less bloatware.
Have you used ios11? How did you fix the lag issue? Apps and general use is lagging on my new iPhone x I got on Friday for my gf . I was very surprised to experience it as I thought they fixed the bugs already.. what's the ETA for fix? Even scrolling in settings is laggy

Also, sorry for noob question, but how do I share a link in an app directly to Twitter without copying , opening Twitter, pasting and then send? I don't see ability to share from my reddit app direct to Twitter app?
Last edited by MrWhiteCoffee on Nov 6th, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25485 posts
2770 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
You people are still debating this?

Bottom line, it doesn’t matter. No one will choose a phone over speed. You chose a platform. Some are heavily vested in iOS and others will be on Android.

You can argue till your blue in the face, you can't convince one to switch to the other.
Last edited by Gee on Nov 6th, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4189 posts
473 upvotes
NORTH YORK
EugW wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 4:15 am
This does not by any means mean iPhones are faster in everything but in many performance measures they are indeed faster, and my other point was that even when they are not actually faster they may feel faster due to Apple’s emphasis on perceived speed as well.
As far as I can see in a lot of comparison videos , that is not so in some area even perception wise.
That begs the question: "Do faster SoCs result in proportional improvement across the board?"
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14117 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:10 am

Bottom line, it doesn’t matter. No one will choose a phone over speed. You chose a platform. Some are heavily vested in iOS and others will be on Android.

You can argue till your blue in the face, you can convince one to switch to the other.
There is a lot of truth to this, especially in 2017 as Android has gotten better than it was in the past, partially through continued optimization and partially through brute force. (6 GB RAM anyone?)

5 years ago there was a ginormous difference in OS smoothness between iOS and Android. Nowadays the difference is much smaller, to the point that platform preference becomes the over-riding consideration here for most people.

danieltoronto wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:58 am
As far as I can see in a lot of comparison videos , that is not so in some area even perception wise.
That begs the question: "Do faster SoCs result in proportional improvement across the board?"
I don't think anyone is claiming that faster SoCs result in proportional improvement across the board. But obviously faster SoCs certainly do help for a lot of stuff.

You seem to be focusing only on the faster SoC comments for some reason, even though it is just one of several features people have mentioned that can make an OS feel faster.
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:01 am
Have you used ios11? How did you fix the lag issue? Apps and general use is lagging on my new iPhone x I got on Friday for my gf . I was very surprised to experience it as I thought they fixed the bugs already.. what's the ETA for fix? Even scrolling in settings is laggy
iOS is by no means perfect, and early iterations of each iOS version are generally slower than later ones. iOS 11.0 was OK and iOS 11.1 is perhaps a bit better, but I don't think it's fully optimized yet for speed. 11.1 is more a bug quashing update than a speed update IMO. That said, it otherwise runs pretty well even with my previous gen iPhone 7 Plus, and smoother IMO than the Galaxy S7. I suspect TouchWiz is to blame.

BTW, I don't have an iPhone X so I don't know how fast is Face ID, but many people say it is currently slower than TouchID. I suspect it will become much faster either in 2018 or 2019, much like how TouchID got noticeably faster with a later iteration. I may end up buying a XII Plus or whatever with Face ID 2 in 2019.
Also, sorry for noob question, but how do I share a link in an app directly to Twitter without copying , opening Twitter, pasting and then send? I don't see ability to share from my reffid app direct to Twitter app?
Dunno, since I use neither.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
EugW wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:41 am
There is a lot of truth to this, especially in 2017 as Android has gotten better than it was in the past, partially through continued optimization and partially through brute force. (6 GB RAM anyone?)

5 years ago there was a ginormous difference in OS smoothness between iOS and Android. Nowadays the difference is much smaller, to the point that platform preference becomes the over-riding consideration here for most people.

I don't think anyone is claiming that faster SoCs result in proportional improvement across the board. But obviously faster SoCs certainly do help for a lot of stuff.

You seem to be focusing only on the faster SoC comments for some reason, even though it is just one of several features people have mentioned that can make an OS feel faster.

iOS is by no means perfect, and early iterations of each iOS version are generally slower than later ones. iOS 11.0 was OK and iOS 11.1 is perhaps a bit better, but I don't think it's fully optimized yet for speed. 11.1 is more a bug quashing update than a speed update IMO. That said, it otherwise runs pretty well even with my previous gen iPhone 7 Plus, and smoother IMO than the Galaxy S7. I suspect TouchWiz is to blame.

BTW, I don't have an iPhone X so I don't know how fast is Face ID, but many people say it is currently slower than TouchID. I suspect it will become much faster either in 2018 or 2019, much like how TouchID got noticeably faster with a later iteration. I may end up buying a XII Plus or whatever with Face ID 2 in 2019.

Dunno, since I use neither.
Thanks, hope it's not much longer for fix

It's not just Reddit to Twitter but seems I only get the sharing option in some apps and the apps that do show up in sharing is limited. Is there a setting so that I can share links, msgs, texts etc between more apps instead of copying, launching new app, select new contact/chat, pasting?

I haven't used iOS in a while and my gf is asking how to do it
Dec 16, 2015
715 posts
314 upvotes
Canada
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:01 am

Also, sorry for noob question, but how do I share a link in an app directly to Twitter without copying , opening Twitter, pasting and then send? I don't see ability to share from my reddit app direct to Twitter app?
Whoah having gf is expensive...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5045 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:

I did. I was iPhoner for like 4+ years. Then I realized my double clicking home button is actually a performance issue with the phone / software. Its not me imagining. Sitting side by side with latest android I notice, I can get same things done faster on android. Most of them were minor, but unlocking (back in day) on iPhone means turn it on, swipe to get to start using it. Android I can disable all screen, just pull it out and use it.

Double click + effectiveness of use (and hate for iTunes) made me switch.

Gee wrote:

You can argue till your blue in the face, you can't convince one to switch to the other.
lol I think thats 100% true. I don't know anyone who has ever made anyone switch but arguing.
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4189 posts
473 upvotes
NORTH YORK
EugW wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:41 am
There were at least 2 knowledgeable members in here trying to establish that faster SoCs is the key to an all round good phone. But being a non- gamer, I would say the right SoC is the one where faster speed does not bring proportional improvement. To me and a lot of users (for browsing, Youtube, email.........) , more RAM , min resolution 1080, huge size of storage ..... are just as important.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1517 posts
199 upvotes
Probably because everything keystroke is sent to google’s central server to be mined.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27083 posts
1737 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gee wrote:

sure you can, i used to use iphone but now uses android, although i would prefer not Samsung as they are overpriced.
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Jul 30, 2017
86 posts
15 upvotes
Here's a real world speed test of the Note 8 vs iPhone X

The basic TLDR is that the Note 8 is actually faster than the iPhone in terms of loading most everyday applications, while the X is faster at gaming/loading games. Overall, if you're looking at anything other than synthetic benchmarks (which are basically meaningless to real life use), it certainly is no longer true that iPhones destroy Android phones in load times /performance, or that Android is somehow excessively laggy in basic productivity/day to day tasks. I suspect that most people spend most of their time on their phones in stuff like web browsing, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc., and the Note 8 in general was faster at those things.