Off Topic

Locked: Why are the montreal protesters using images of Che Guevara?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2012 11:33 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 22, 2011
54 posts
1 upvote
BURNABY

Why are the montreal protesters using images of Che Guevara?

People have a right to protest. that's fine with me. They can protest all they want. But why are they waving flags of Che Guevara in their cause? I thought this was about tuition. According to the news piece, "In one case caught on TV, a high-school-aged teen waving a red Che Guevara flag while walking down de Maisonneuve, which is not closed off for Grand Prix events, was accosted by security guards and made to leave the area." Seriously? you have to wave a murderer's flag for your cause?

And what is the meaning of them using the "red" colour in their protest? is red supposed to mean something?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... ml?cmp=rss
Share:
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
Red represents either blood, anger/rage, or attention.

And Che Guevara is, presumably, being used as their icon of revolution.

So...they're borrowing symbols to express/lend their protest rage and authenticity.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1295 posts
1121 upvotes
the whole red thing was to represent a stop to tuition fee hikes but seems like they're protesting for anything and everything nowadays.
some other groups who are ok with the tuition fees wear green actually.

I saw footage on the news one of the protesters expressed how unhappy she was that some people can spend thousands on one evening for the grand prix festivities while others can't afford diapers..
they're just bitter that some people have money and others are struggling.

meh

im not following this whole story anymore, it's just a real shame to my city.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2011
54 posts
1 upvote
BURNABY
wachidarin wrote:
Jun 9th, 2012 11:11 am
the whole red thing was to represent a stop to tuition fee hikes but seems like they're protesting for anything and everything nowadays.
some other groups who are ok with the tuition fees wear green actually.

I saw footage on the news one of the protesters expressed how unhappy she was that some people can spend thousands on one evening for the grand prix festivities while others can't afford diapers..
they're just bitter that some people have money and others are struggling.

meh

im not following this whole story anymore, it's just a real shame to my city.

It appears that these people are anti-freedom. who are they to dictate to other people how they should live their lives?
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8349 posts
2506 upvotes
Ottawa
Wow...can it get more political than this??
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1714 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Red Square and Che. Two obvious Communist symbols. If the "students" actually had an education they'd realise this. They're just switching from one set of puppet masters to another, totally ignorant of the fact.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
Dec 14, 2005
18191 posts
360 upvotes
Richmond
:!:

"Political & Religious threads

Political and Religious threads are not allowed."

OT Guidelines - updated
Congrats to the Arsenal Ladies - The FA Women's Cup Winners 2013 :)
× < >