• Jun 3rd, 2013 4:03 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
19556 posts
1658 upvotes

Why is my dog so clingy!?

I've been working a lot lately and my dog (as a result?) has become SUPER FREAKEN CLINGY...

I keep tripping over him making food, trying to use the bathroom, cleaning the house etc... I can't even leave the darn home without him giving me his sad face look...

It's so freaken annoying but at the same time I don't want to punish him since it is so cute..

Anyway to get the dog to be less clingy without making him stop (completely)?

/rant
22 replies
May 14, 2007
640 posts
95 upvotes
Ottawa
Dogs need time and attention. Sounds like yours isn't getting enough.

Spend more time with him, give him more exercise, give him treat puzzles to keep his brain working when you're gone, get someone else to take him for walks, send him to doggy daycare...
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18145 posts
1051 upvotes
awwww your doggy misses you!

what kind of doggy is it? as the previous poster mentioned, don't neglect your doggy man!

My dog is the same....gets so excited to see me and when I walk around my condo, she follows me.

My doggy is always around people though. During the day, she is with my mom (mom's retired) and in the evening with me and wifey....
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
4788 posts
510 upvotes
South of Ottawa
How old is your dog OP?

My two older ones are super excited to see me after work. For about 3 minutes. Then they head off to amuse themselves wherever. The younger one doesn't leave me alone, ever. If I go to the bathroom, she's right there. Sit at my desk, she's either got her head on my lap or sleeping on my foot. Watching tv, she wants to lay right across me and block the sight line. Or beside me with a paw on my leg. Or at my head with a paw on my face. Cute, but annoying as hell. I ignore her unless I ask for her attention. The only way to stop them is to not reward them for that behaviour. I keep telling myself that.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
19556 posts
1658 upvotes
my dog is getting older, 10 years of age.

bichon frise

Spent lot of time with him today but it didn't help much...

I made arrangements for the dog next week, hopefully it helps
Jul 5, 2004
21337 posts
1574 upvotes
Usually two reasons.

1. You're not spending enough time with the dog and not exercising it enough
2. Your dog has developed a case of separation anxiety.

I suggest playing more with your dog (such as tug, fetch, hide & seek, chase, teach the dog new tricks, etc.) and getting your dog more exercise. Even if it is separation anxiety, more fun and more exercise aren't bad things. If it is separation anxiety, start doing some reading and get to work on resolving it. Whatever you do, don't get mad at the dog, that will only make things worse
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
1911 posts
173 upvotes
Does your dog play with other dogs or are you his only play buddy?
Mar 23, 2008
452 posts
15 upvotes
Most obviously, yes, lack of attention, but my dog has been extra clingy lately because of the weather. When it's rainy/miserable out I find it really has an effect on his mood.
Apr 1, 2005
534 posts
8 upvotes
Markham
think its the breed. bichon always follows us everywhere and always bring her toys and ask us to play with her.

doesnt matter if i take her out for 4 hours, walk, hike, jog, dog park etc.
george__ wrote:
Apr 25th, 2013 12:19 am
my dog is getting older, 10 years of age.

bichon frise

Spent lot of time with him today but it didn't help much...

I made arrangements for the dog next week, hopefully it helps
Oct 6, 2004
872 posts
215 upvotes
Be patient with your friend. My old dog got very clingly a few days before he passed away in his sleep in the night. I guess he knew it was coming and was saying goodbye. That was ~20 years ago and I still get worked up thinking about it, he was such a good guy.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
19556 posts
1658 upvotes
Psilosin wrote:
Apr 25th, 2013 2:57 pm
Be patient with your friend. My old dog got very clingly a few days before he passed away in his sleep in the night. I guess he knew it was coming and was saying goodbye. That was ~20 years ago and I still get worked up thinking about it, he was such a good guy.
Highly doubtful
silvermist99 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2013 2:39 pm
think its the breed. bichon always follows us everywhere and always bring her toys and ask us to play with her.

doesnt matter if i take her out for 4 hours, walk, hike, jog, dog park etc.

He used to hate attention / was very "independent". I spent a lot of time with him yesterday (took a half day) and same thing today when I got back from work.. I'm going to the vet next week to see if he is okay because I don't think he is acting normally
Feb 10, 2009
172 posts
2 upvotes
Sorry George. Your first post seems pretty cold. But, I thought again and you must care or you wouldn't be asking. Is there any possibility that you are stressed? When I am stressed, my dog follows me everywhere.
Oct 6, 2004
872 posts
215 upvotes
Psilosin wrote:
Apr 25th, 2013 2:57 pm
george__ wrote:
Apr 26th, 2013 3:29 pm
Highly doubtful
You are a douche.
× < >