Why no filipino restaurants?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2017 8:59 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6709 posts
1334 upvotes
occasionally get a craving for certain filipino dishes. casa manila isn't bad.
lamesa is an upscale filipino restaurant. haven't tried it but it's gotten very good reviews.

btw, why isn't this in the F&D forum?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Apr 2, 2006
992 posts
113 upvotes
Gtown
Its hot out. I want some Halo halo.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4060 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
williamsauga wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:04 am
any good filipino restaurant in Misssisauga?
bertos is decent....dundas/erindale station

there's also a place in heartland plaza where California sandwiches/pho99 is.... but i find it below average
Nov 19, 2014
677 posts
163 upvotes
6 minute 15 second mark.

I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11032 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
Spiderpal93 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 8:52 am
Brimley and Sheppard area. Look at the food court inside Oriental Centre. Lots of filipino restaurants.

I really want to try this one:
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/tinuno-toronto

And this one:
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/chef-george-bre ... carborough
When you posted this I was literally just sitting in there eating lol
I just got back from there!
Santa: Why is there a higgs boson in my sleigh? Me: I put one there sir. Santa: wait, there are tons more between the seat cusions. You lied! There are lots! Get them out of my sleigh! If I find more higgs bosons in there, I will have a conniption.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15914 posts
949 upvotes
Woodbridge
Pochacco wrote:
May 18th, 2017 8:02 am
Maybe cuz Filipino food is not very appealing? I tried a few times and it is not something that I would go for as my number one choice
This.

I'm Filipino. Good not great. If I'm going to spend my money to eat out it would be my last choice.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11032 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
jimsmith wrote:
May 18th, 2017 1:18 pm
Its hot out. I want some Halo halo.
Lol. I remember my first one. I was visiting people in Davao and they gave me some. Also filipino version of ceviche was given same day.
Santa: Why is there a higgs boson in my sleigh? Me: I put one there sir. Santa: wait, there are tons more between the seat cusions. You lied! There are lots! Get them out of my sleigh! If I find more higgs bosons in there, I will have a conniption.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11032 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote:
May 18th, 2017 1:34 pm
This.

I'm Filipino. Good not great. If I'm going to spend my money to eat out it would be my last choice.
I'm filipino at heart because I chose it as my favorite country, but food is not the strength area. I sit at the food court in SM megamall eating Korean. I think it may have a lot to do with the Spanish colonial history. The 'asian feel' from Taiwan and S Korea is missing there. Philippines is like Canada as here also lacks cuisine that is world famous like Korean and greek.I just think only certain countries do very well with it.

But I love the food from the market in downtown Cagayan de oro where the muslims sell. Always great finds. It is best to go to Mindanao for filipino food.

I always wondered why Philippines is maybe the only asian country without architecture like this
I think maybe the Spanish colonization plays a part as they ruled it for 4 centuries then the Americans. Philippines culture feels like latin america so like Peru, Guatemala, Bolivia, Dominican, Colombia etc.

Most top cuisine and world renowned culture seems to come from countries where the origin culture has had uninterupted evolution dating back many many centuries as isthe case with Korean and Greek.

Is it just me or is Spanish one of the less popular cuisines?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13588 posts
1317 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
May 18th, 2017 1:46 pm
I'm filipino at heart because I chose it as my favorite country, but food is not the strength area. I sit at the food court in SM mall eating Korean. I think it may have a lot to do with the Spanish colonial history. The 'asian feel' from Taiwan and S Korea is missing there. Philippines is like Canada as here also lacks cuisine that is world famous like Korean and greek.I just think only certain countries do very well with it.

But I love the food from the market in downtown Cagayan de oro where the muslims sell. Always great finds. It is best to go to Mindanao for filipino food.
Makes sense. The Spanish made sure everything Asian or indigenous about the Philippines got wiped out in favour of colonialist stuff. From what I've gathered from my encounters with Filipino people over the course of my life they're largely unaware of their pre-colonial history and don't really consider themselves Asian.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11032 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 2:01 pm
Makes sense. The Spanish made sure everything Asian or indigenous about the Philippines got wiped out in favour of colonialist stuff. From what I've gathered from my encounters with Filipino people over the course of my life they're largely unaware of their pre-colonial history and don't really consider themselves Asian.
Yes. If you moved the Philippines next to Peru, you would never even be able to tell it came from Asia. Even less so with all that English. It does not feel so foreign except for very few things like public transit. It's a paradise for anyone that wants little culture shock.
This compares Peru and Philippines in the mall. The 2 cultures are really not too different at all.
ImageImage
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
3695 posts
338 upvotes
the only good filipino dish i ever had was some kind of deep fried pork foot. But all ethnicities have delicious deep fried dishes...

I like all kinds of food from around the word, stranger the better. No offense, but Filipino is definitely last on my list of good eats
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2786 posts
910 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Pochacco wrote:
May 18th, 2017 8:02 am
Maybe cuz Filipino food is not very appealing? I tried a few times and it is not something that I would go for as my number one choice
That's what I've heard too. Most people don't care for it.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
1664 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
Filipino food is ok, but to be honest I'd take almost any other type of Asian cuisine over it... and my background is Filipino. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11032 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
I would have to say Davao was not good for that. I remember when I roamed the city one day hungry, waiting for something tasty to come along. It never did lol

I think the problem lies in the lack of ingredients added. Taste pakbet and taste how little flavor it has. I went into Puregold to spice things up myself and was apalled by the lack of flavors.
This is my first choice to shop at, kinda like food basics.
ImageImage

That said, I do miss the lifesyle. Get in the jeepney, pick up some stuff from Puregold or SM Savemore, head to the palengke for some calamansi and bananas and pick up an ice (hielo) for 2 pesos!) Ahhh miss it all!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel