Food & Drink

Why no filipino restaurants?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 11:06 am
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1916 posts
99 upvotes
There's a few in Scarborough. Casa Manila, Jolibees..some other places on Kennedy and Lawrence.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7189 posts
239 upvotes
yao416 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 7:08 am
My cumpare goes to this area all the time lol
Are you talking about sampaguita?.

The guy who owns that spot is making alot of money. That place is packed everytime I go there. And whats funny is that the food isnt even as good as the filipino food in the philippines.

Best lechon I have ever tasted was a place in Cebu.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
kevindurant1 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:29 pm
Are you talking about sampaguita?.

The guy who owns that spot is making alot of money. That place is packed everytime I go there. And whats funny is that the food isnt even as good as the filipino food in the philippines.

Best lechon I have ever tasted was a place in Cebu.
Lechon manok is sold at places in literally every town and village you can go to in Mindanao. This is what I see all over Mindanao!

Merry krizmuss, Merry krizmuss, have a brite and a prospruss nieuw yaar.
Jan 6, 2016
182 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto, ON
i have never tried filipino food before but i was biking along queen street and i saw this restaurant, maybe it will suit you: http://www.lamesafilipinokitchen.com/

has anyone ever ate there before and care to share their exp?
"Terrorists" don't belong in Canada.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
1750 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
Daydas wrote:
May 18th, 2017 7:42 pm
i have never tried filipino food before but i was biking along queen street and i saw this restaurant, maybe it will suit you: http://www.lamesafilipinokitchen.com/

has anyone ever ate there before and care to share their exp?
I've been there. Its a good place for an intro to filipino cuisine, but its more of a hipster, small portion, semi-pricey kinda thing. Not really where actual filipinos would eat.
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Driftwood wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:46 pm
I've been there. Its a good place for an intro to filipino cuisine, but its more of a hipster, small portion, semi-pricey kinda thing. Not really where actual filipinos would eat.
That is the one I said was not really true filipino according to what I read. A good representation of what is well represented in Toronto and what is not is what is easily found downtown. Korean, Japanese, Greek, Chinese, Indian seem to be what I see the most and the first 3 don't even seem to have so much population here compared to other ethnicities.
Jan 6, 2016
182 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:26 am
That is the one I said was not really true filipino according to what I read. A good representation of what is well represented in Toronto and what is not is what is easily found downtown. Korean, Japanese, Greek, Chinese, Indian seem to be what I see the most and the first 3 don't even seem to have so much population here compared to other ethnicities.
I would like to try some filipino food, can you recommend some restaurants? i live in the downtown area, so i would prefer restaurants that are closer near by, like under the bloor/danforth subway line.
"Terrorists" don't belong in Canada.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Daydas wrote:
May 19th, 2017 7:21 am
I would like to try some filipino food, can you recommend some restaurants? i live in the downtown area, so i would prefer restaurants that are closer near by, like under the bloor/danforth subway line.
Bathurst and Wilson is the most suggested area in Toronto. I just don't know what the exact names are of the places. It is best to just go there and see.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2086 posts
327 upvotes
Daydas wrote:
Lamesa
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4708 posts
517 upvotes
Toronto
Daydas wrote:
Platito.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36666 posts
2538 upvotes
Toronto
Frankly because filipino food isnt very good. Its popular with people ho grew up with it, or they're from the philipines.

It just doesnt have enough flavor or contrast.
Lamesa is filipino fusion. So aspects of western methods of culinary arts is incorporated.

But the big famous dishes like adobo, pancit, lumpia, kare kare etc... don't really appeal to the masses.
Oct 24, 2005
877 posts
128 upvotes
I feel like filipino food isn't as distinct compared to other the food of other cultures which are more popular. Even for some of the more popular filipino foods there are similar alternatives that are more accessible. Like for lechon there's chinese roast pork. Lumpias are good but not something I would go to a filipino restaurant solely to eat and instead could get some cha gio along with a bowl of pho.
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7189 posts
239 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:53 pm
Frankly because filipino food isnt very good. Its popular with people ho grew up with it, or they're from the philipines.

It just doesnt have enough flavor or contrast.
Lamesa is filipino fusion. So aspects of western methods of culinary arts is incorporated.

But the big famous dishes like adobo, pancit, lumpia, kare kare etc... don't really appeal to the masses.
Filipino food is very good but to taste the really good ones you have to go to the philippines. Over here its really not done right. Its like they just slap some filipino store soy sauce on it, magic sarap and some canola oil.

A well made lumpia should taste VERY good. There is bulalo, palabok, sinigang, isaw, fish balls and different type of seafood.

I mean look at this?. Thats real lechon.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36666 posts
2538 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:11 pm
Filipino food is very good but to taste the really good ones you have to go to the philippines. Over here its really not done right. Its like they just slap some filipino store soy sauce on it, magic sarap and some canola oil.

A well made lumpia should taste VERY good. There is bulalo, palabok, sinigang, isaw, fish balls and different type of seafood.

I mean look at this?. Thats real lechon.
I find theres pockets of tasty stuff in filipino cuisine.
Balut (only bc im used to eating the chinese and vietnamese version... chicken instead of duck eggs).
Lechon is amazing.
So are chicharons.

I think theres a reason why they havent been popularized mainstream outside of the filipino community. Lamesa does a good job with its fusion.

The Chinese had to cater their food to westerners. And even Chinese cusine itself has evolved and developed with its many regions. Sichuan is very different from Cantonese. And also very different from muslim influenced cusine from western china.

I just think it needs more thats all. Cusine wise... how has it evolved?

Chinese has cusine from all sorts of regions that vary greatly.
Vietnamese has chinese, SEA influence and french.
Japanese is unique in its own being so isolated. But still had chinese and western influence.